• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

RWS 48 question.

I have JSB 10.4 gr, kind of thinking I should try the JSB 13gr’s in the RWS and my Marauder.
What kind of groups are we talking here out of curiosity? My 48 is pellet on pellet once I'm warmed up to it and have my hold down pat BUT up until then I typically see pretty significant verticle stringing.

Other 48 issues are the typical Diana scope creep and screws vibrating loose issues. Aside from the stock screws, the front sight likes to loosen up as well. When any of those go loose, my groups suffer and I go over them all real quick and I'm back in the game.

Reactions: fishing43
Mine hates JSB pellets. Sprays them all over the place. Try the H&N Baracuda Match. Bet you’ll see a difference.
I’ll give them a try before I give completely give up on it, thanks!

An interesting finding for me… When I bought my FWB 124 almost 40 years ago, I tried a lot of the Beeman pointed pellets. They all shot pretty good but the one that shot the best by far was the Silver point, I guess the H&N Silver point repackaged in a Beeman box. I never paid any attention to the pellet weight back in those days, just figured they were different shapes and that’s what made them shoot well. I just noticed they weigh 11.57 grs, about 1.3gr heavier the JSB Diablo Exact Heavy. I’m going to get some of them too next time I order pellets! Might also try the JSB Exact Monster weighing 13.4 gr. I may place an order with PA tonight!

Some other pellets I bought around the same time were plastic bodied with a metal (zinc possibly) insert. These were super light and super inaccurate too. The FWB 124 has 12 groove rifling and we were shooting pigeons in a barn at night once with these pellets. After a few shots, we couldn’t hit the pigeons at 30-40 ft and were kind of baffled, until we looked down the barrel. It looked like something was growing the entire length of the barrel, it was like leading but plastic so I guess it was ”plasticed”. We shot some lead pellets which effectively cleared the barrel and we went back to work on the pigeons with lead pellets. I still have some of the plastic pellets, I’ll have to weight them and also post some pictures. Prometheus was one of the names.

I also think the .177 is overpowered in the 48 -52 models,you can tune it down,try to use heavier pellets or sell it.
If you like it enough may be cheaper to keep it and tune it down,,about $90 or so....if you do it yourself.
Almost all magnum springers are overpowered in .177.......but wait ...almost all can be tuned down and all the better for it, and while I am at it there is no need to be shooting over 850fps in a springer, my opinion based on my needs, which is are not shooting over 35-40 yards.

Reactions: 450BM
I also think the .177 is overpowered in the 48 -52 models,you can tune it down,try to use heavier pellets or sell it.
If you like it enough may be cheaper to keep it and tune it down,,about $90 or so....if you do it yourself.
Almost all magnum springers are overpowered in .177.......but wait ...almost all can be tuned down and all the better for it, and while I am at it there is no need to be shooting over 850fps in a springer, my opinion based on my needs, which is are not shooting over 35-40 yards.
I’m going to try heavier pellets first, just placed an order for H&N Barracuda, Silver Point and JSB Monsters from PA. If the accuracy doesn’t match my FWB or MRod, I’ll probably sell it. May be able to test as soon as Saturday, 2 day shipping from Ohio to Pennsylvania but Thanksgiving will add a day.

I’m going to test these pellets in my FWB 124 and MRod too, I’m sure they’ll work well in one of them… Who knows, I may find a new favorite for all my .177’s. I’m hoping it’s the Silver Point. Come to think of it, they have a lot of slug characteristics with the point nose and the “less prominent“ skirt.

Sweet spot on 48/52 for most people seems to be the 12-18 lb-ft range depending what you’re doing with the gun. How old is yours?
I think it’s about 7 or 8 years old. I bought it before I bought into PCP’s and they kind of ruined springers for me. I’ll thoroughly test the new heavier pellets and maybe they’ll change my mind. I’m hoping they do, I want this gun to be more accurate than the FWB 124 and it will hit really hard with these heavy pellets.

These are the results I'm getting with my Diana 48 / 52 - 15 shot group on left @ 30 yards, 5 shot group on the right - Vortek HO kit, 2 full coils removed, 17 ft-lb power, using H&N BM 10.65 and JSB Exct 10.35 pellets. Good luck !!
IMG_2510.jpg
IMG_2546.jpg

IMG_2545.jpg

Reactions: 450BM and Sqwirl57
Reactions: 450BM