I believe that was me that reported the UTG 3-9x will not fit that RWS base set up. I had to mill about .06 off the ends of the rings for it to fit. Was a waste of time, though. Two in a row UTG 's had failed with broken reticle wires. Up graded to the same Vortex that Rooster just showed. It fits well in the RWS base set you have. I have two of them ( scopes and 34's) and one has a documented 22K shots fired on my 34 in .22 with no issues of any kind. It is one tough scope with an equally tough warranty. My other Vortex had a bad accident....not going there.😉

I have a 34 and a 34P .177, both are T06 with a 2017 date stamped. NEITHER have droop, both love any pellet with a tight fit and hard lead. Loose fit, soft lead, no likey.

That's good to know Mike ! Mine also is stamped T06 2017 as well. I've decided to just go with some Medium UTG 1" rings. The Leapers scope I removed from my Sig was dialed in at 10M so POI should be fairly close when I mount it on the M34. After mounting, if I'm shooting 5 inches low at 10M then droop might be an issue. I'll cross that bridge when I get there. I'm confident that droop won't be an issue. So I'm all set ! Have the 3-9x40 UTG Hunter scope and rings. Got the JSB 8.44 gr (4.52mm head) pellets. Got the RWS spring and chamber lube. Got my old Beeman one piece SS .177 cleaning rod and jags and patches. I'm set !! Have you had any issues with your dovetail rail screws coming loose Mike ? I'm going to check mine before the scope goes on. If they are loose it's nothing that Loctite 262 or 272 won't cure.

I have a Wheelers Fat wrench and use blue loctite. Start with CPLs seated just a tad farther than you can get with your thumb.

On the stock fasteners I will use the blue. If the scope dovetail rail is loose I'm going with the permanent red Loctite 

I know the rating on these are 1000 fps.

Don't ever expect to get the same velocity as advertised when using high quality popular weight pellets. It is a shame that even the top notch air gun manufactures rely on advertising these speeds that can only be achieved using a very light weight pellet almost under selected gun conditions apparently to appeal to the power happy among us.

If you pull in the 850 FPS region (plus or minus some) with pellets between 8 and 10 grain you are in the sweet spot of pellet speed for accuracy purposes.

I know that many manufacturer velocity claims are with light lead or alloy pellets. I'm thinking the JSB 8.44 gr should probably shoot in the 850-870 fps range.

I believe that was me that reported the UTG 3-9x will not fit that RWS base set up. I had to mill about .06 off the ends of the rings for it to fit. Was a waste of time, though. Two in a row UTG 's had failed with broken reticle wires. Up graded to the same Vortex that Rooster just showed. It fits well in the RWS base set you have. I have two of them ( scopes and 34's) and one has a documented 22K shots fired on my 34 in .22 with no issues of any kind. It is one tough scope with an equally tough warranty. My other Vortex had a bad accident....not going there.
1f609.svg

I've decided not to use the RWS base. Just medium UTG rings. The reticle wires on my UTG scope are quite heavy. Probably heavier than I would like. However, the scope survived on my ASP20 with zero problems.

I'm always happy to see someone get a Diana 34. Because they are such good rifles and as accurate as the day is long, as well as being sooooo easy to work on and tune to your specific needs and liking. Probably one of the easiest springers to tear down and tune or maintenance. Let us know how you like it.If the factory spring is a bit harsh for you, there are other spring kits out there that will smooth out the firing cycle for you. I installed a Maccari spring in my 34 Classic and love it. It is my go to springer.....awesome shooting rifle. Hope you enjoy yours.......keep us posted!

TR

I put on a Leapers 3-9x50 scope with sunshade and looks like I used high rings. It's been 7 years.

I got the compact version but I took off the blob at the end of the barrel because I could never get it to stay tight. I haven't shot it in a long time. I think I ended up putting the blob back on because it's such a nice handle and adds leverage. I used loctite on the set screws. I dubbed it the Black Beauty.
1573821985_19415954845dce9e21645194.23526665_Black Beauty 2 RWS 34 Pro Compact with 3-9x50 Scope.JPG

I put on a Leapers 3-9x50 scope with sunshade and looks like I used high rings. It's been 7 years.

I got the compact version but I took off the blob at the end of the barrel because I could never get it to stay tight. I haven't shot it in a long time. I think I ended up putting the blob back on because it's such a nice handle and adds leverage. I used loctite on the set screws. I dubbed it the Black Beauty.
1573821985_19415954845dce9e21645194.23526665_Black Beauty 2 RWS 34 Pro Compact with 3-9x50 Scope.JPG

With medium height rings my 40mm scope objective will clear the receiver around 1/4". Maybe slightly less. I'm not crazy about the bulkiness of the front sight. Will probably remove both sights and install a muzzle brake (cocking aid handle) eventually. 

I'm always happy to see someone get a Diana 34. Because they are such good rifles and as accurate as the day is long, as well as being sooooo easy to work on and tune to your specific needs and liking. Probably one of the easiest springers to tear down and tune or maintenance. Let us know how you like it.If the factory spring is a bit harsh for you, there are other spring kits out there that will smooth out the firing cycle for you. I installed a Maccari spring in my 34 Classic and love it. It is my go to springer.....awesome shooting rifle. Hope you enjoy yours.......keep us posted!

TR

Does the Maccari spring change the power level ?

Been a long time, but the one I had experience with shot JSB's and several others well, but consistently it shot the Gamo Hunters a shade better.

Somewhere there is a picture of seven of them in a stack where one after the other is in the skirt of the one before. Twenty yards off a bench with one of the old BSA 2 x 7's as the glass. I think maybe it was the most accurate springer I ever shot with that kind of power. Shooter died about two weeks back.

Now that was a long time back, and lot of things have changed since, but you might want to try a tin of the Hunters. 

TR

Does the Maccari spring change the power level ?

I tested the results on the chronograph after installing the spring kit, but I can't recall the numbers. It's been a while. But yes, there was a small drop in velocity that was marginal. However, what I gained in accuracy far outweighed the small loss in power. I also use Air Rifle Headquarters for piston seals, moly lube, etc. I just wasn't as accurate with my 34 as I wanted to be at distance using the OEM spring. So it didn't matter, in my opinion, how much power it produced if I couldn't get the accuracy that I wanted out of it.

Just thought I would update you all on my D34. The forearm screw loosening issue has been solved. Remove those external toothed star lock washers and can them !! They add to the problem. Not solve it ! Using this type of washer directly into wood is a joke. I made brass flat washers from #10 washers. Turned the I.D. down to .393". The star washer used with the flat washer still came loose after 10 shots. Using just the flat washer, blue Loctite, and torquing screws to anywhere between 25 and 27 inch/lbs cured the problem.

I also cleaned the barrel for the first time. It was quite cruddy and as I've noticed before ( with my Sig) I lost about 15 fps after cleaning. I then ran a patch down the barrel with a few drops of RWS chamber lube. Velocity back to normal ! I figured Napier Pellet Lube is probably a silicone based lube just like the chamber lube. I plan on using the chamber lube to lube my pellets. I wet the foam insert from a tin of JSB pellets with the chamber lube. Then roll the pellets on the foam and removed the excessive lube. Instead of buying the expensive Napier product try it !