Running the Yong Heng under 40*C?

I have been very happy with my Altaros booster, but it's still a slow fill process. I have been wanting a quicker fill and at the same time have been considering the best way to cool a Yong Heng. 

I've spent the last week drooling over the $3K compressors, but it wouldn't be a simple hookup for me as the house I am currently renting doesn't appear to have anything that will support high Amps without additional wiring. On top of that I just am having trouble putting out that amount on something that squishes air - i'll get there in time, maybe. 

This got me thinking about the venerable Yong Heng compressor. The little bastard of the litter that everyone has gone through at least one of here. How can I cool the Yong Heng without pounds of ice, gallons of water and constantly watching that temp gauge hit 60*C and know you cylinder rings are dying a horrible death.

Wait - I forgot to mention the water pump they give you. Seriously - the one in the pump I just got literally mesasured 2"x2"x3" and the water fountain at school puts out more water. 

Genius idea - why not run water straight from the tap and let it flow into a drain. Good golly, duh?!?!?

Got an adapter for a 3/8" OD tube to the basin sink in the basement. Attached a splitter so I don't have to keep tubing constantly attached.
YongHeng - 1.1643761064.jpeg

Did the same on the compressor end so I don't need to keep long tubes attached.
YongHeng - 2.1643761074.jpeg

Now you can run constant fresh water at a very fast rate depending on the faucet being turned on.

I filled my 9L tank from around 230 bar to 300 bar in around 10 minutes watching the temp gauge the whole time. Never went above 38.1*C. OH YEAH!!

Nice mod! I think that's a great idea for sure!

However my pump and regular water temperature recirculating keeps my compressor cool. You want a slow flow to absorb the heat from the metal. I get charged for water usage also :(

I could definitely see some folks benefitting from this setup depending on location! And I'm jealous! Thanks for the write-up!

the problems come by failing to realize the temp reading is just a rough average on one spot of the unit .. its basically useless but looks cool ... bottom line is a yh is an intermittent use light duty unit and you can 'make' that temp guage read zero and flog it to death in a few uses filling a giant tank in one shot .. my take on it - run it 10, turn it off for 20 ... WITH a fan directly blowing on it .. then itl last quite awhile.. im still on my first one, fill to '4500' every time .. i did change the oil once only because it was black and i had plenty in the iriginal bottle lol .. but yeah .. focusing on the wrong thing will get your shiney new yh dead quick .. plenty of evidence daily around here to prove it ..

However my pump and regular water temperature recirculating keeps my compressor cool. You want a slow flow to absorb the heat from the metal. I get charged for water usage also :(

I could definitely see some folks benefitting from this setup depending on location! And I'm jealous! Thanks for the write-up!

A bit of a late reply to this - but I hope you are not serious say you want a slow water flow. The transfer rate of heat between the metal and the water will remain constant regardless of water flow. If the water flow is slow the heat transfer will cause any given volume of water to increase in heat more than if 4 times the amount of water passed by.

In example - say in the slow flow 1 galloon of water passes through the pump in a minute and raises 10 degrees. If I had 4 galloons of water and passed it over the same one minute time frame it would only increase by 2.5 degrees. 

@dizzums - you sarcasm wasn't appreciated - you always assume everyone is an idiot and write completely condescending posts. So thank you for you condescending input to this thread but I'm all good - thanks but no thanks.

A bit of a late reply to this - but I hope you are not serious say you want a slow water flow. The transfer rate of heat between the metal and the water will remain constant regardless of water flow. If the water flow is slow the heat transfer will cause any given volume of water to increase in heat more than if 4 times the amount of water passed by.

In example - say in the slow flow 1 galloon of water passes through the pump in a minute and raises 10 degrees. If I had 4 galloons of water and passed it over the same one minute time frame it would only increase by 2.5 degrees. 

@dizzums - you sarcasm wasn't appreciated - you always assume everyone is an idiot and write completely condescending posts. So thank you for you condescending input to this thread but I'm all good - thanks but no thanks.

And you really thing a temp dif of 3-5degC will kill the compressor?

When do you cut off then, 55degC because going past 60degC will kill it?

Diesel engines run at some 84-90degC and pressures @2000bar and yet they do more than 3-500000miles without a hickup.

Your main problem is not actual cylinder temperature but temperature of expelled air and the amount of moisture in it.

The higher the temp the more moisture can be held in suspension in the expelled air.

Running my MCH-6 on a 4liter bottle from 50-200bar i will tap out some 40cc of water, because my compressor runs cool and water condenses before entering the bottle. Had it been running red hot none of that water would be condensed and able to be tapped out.

So you want cool not so much for the longevity of the piston rings but more for the tapping/expelling of condensed water-