Rules that you have made for yourself as far as airgunning goes....

I was thinking about this on my ride in to work this morning. What rules have you made for yourself that you actually follow when it comes to airgunning? Or what rules have you made that you wish you have followed.

There's no secret I buy , sell, try new air rifles all the time.... with that comes buying new ammo to test in each.

Up until recently I would sell off ammo I shot from a rifle once the rifle went.

My newest rule I have been following for the last 2 months has been no SELLING any ammo. I found myself selling off stock piles of ammo taking hits on them, now I just hold onto the ammo. Amassing it so now it is never an issue of getting any when something new arrives.

Last edited:
Things I wish someone had told me when I first got started a couple of years ago:

Don't buy a new model airgun until it has been out for at least 6 months, ideally a year.

Be selective on who I take advice from particularly the self-proclaimed YouTube experts.

Try not to focus too much on the numbers (FPS, SD, ES). If it shoots hole-on-hole, it doesn't matter to me.

Last edited:
I was thinking about this on my ride in to work tomorrow. What rules have you made for yourself that you actually follow when it comes to airgunning? Or what rules have you made that you wish you have followed.

There's no secret I buy , sell, try new air rifles all the time.... with that comes buying new ammo to test in each.

Up until recently I would sell off ammo I shot from a rifle once the rifle went.

My newest rule I have been following for the last 2 months has been no SELLING any ammo. I found myself selling off stock piles of ammo taking hits on them, now I just hold onto the ammo. Amassing it so now it is never an issue of getting any when something new arrives.
My girlfriend and I have an agreement that I will not own more than ten airguns/firearms in total.

This works for me because I can afford nicer stuff instead of being swamped in average stuff, plus it tends to weed out safe queens and my projects don’t stall out. They all get trigger time and I know where each one is in terms of readiness.

She recently picked up playing ukelele and now the corollary ten instrument rule is shaping her collection.

Last edited:
Rule above all else: Have fun.

I’m primarily a target shooter.
In pursuing accuracy, it would be easy to become obsessive.
So, for now - unless going to use in a competition - no weighing and sorting of pellets. This is consistent with the “Have Fun” rule.

I’m really enjoying this hobby. I can shoot out to 50 in my backyard and 100+ at my brothers house.

Rule above all else: Have fun.

I’m primarily a target shooter.
In pursuing accuracy, it would be easy to become obsessive.
So, for now - unless going to use in a competition - no weighing and sorting of pellets. This is consistent with the “Have Fun” rule.

I’m really enjoying this hobby. I can shoot out to 50 in my backyard and 100+ at my brothers house.

LOVE WHATS IN BOLD MAN!

“RULES”
----------

Good subject.

I live in Chile and getting/buying ammo is more difficult than in the USA. The more “exotic” the ammo (higher caliber for instance), the more difficulty to get it. The same can be said about spares / repair parts for airguns.

So... One of my rules is that I try to stick with one caliber for a time. For instance, once I started with 25 cal., I explored that caliber as much as I could (different guns). I think very well and make exhaustive research, before adding a new caliber to my chart.

Also, when I find a good combination of “gun+ammo”, I stock as much as I can of that ammo. And I stock as much as I can of spares / repair parts, for that gun.

Never tell the wife...

LOL: That’s a good one!!!

First and foremost.... HAVE FUN!

Make sure the kids are having fun and have rifles that suit them. This is the reason why my Rapid MKII is in the classifieds right now. Need another gun for my son to move up on.

Don't go nuts over every little thing, you buy a rifle to shoot not to baby. If you can't take it into the woods and hunt then it isn't worth the price.

A scratch here or there are maturity marks and don't hurt the rifle. They were made to be used.... SO USE THEM!

First and foremost.... HAVE FUN!

Make sure the kids are having fun and have rifles that suit them. This is the reason why my Rapid MKII is in the classifieds right now. Need another gun for my son to move up on.

Don't go nuts over every little thing, you buy a rifle to shoot not to baby. If you can't take it into the woods and hunt then it isn't worth the price.

A scratch here or there are maturity marks and don't hurt the rifle. They were made to be used.... SO USE THEM!

When I first got into airgunning I noticed there was a lot of SHOWPIECES out there, thats not to say I dont care for my rifles but like @madeintheuk has said to me, "I like battleworn, means I dont have to worry too bad about scratching it" or something to that effect.

When I first got into airgunning I noticed there was a lot of SHOWPIECES out there, thats not to say I dont care for my rifles but like @madeintheuk has said to me, "I like battleworn, means I dont have to worry too bad about scratching it" or something to that effect.
Exactly! I like good looking guns don't get me wrong. My RedWolf was a lovely rifle, but I also took that rifle out into the woods squirrel hunting all the time. These are tools and should be used as such. Now that doesn't men we should pull a Dana and toss them off a cliff or drag them behind our trucks....BUT...... they should be used. :D

Exactly! I like good looking guns don't get me wrong. My RedWolf was a lovely rifle, but I also took that rifle out into the woods squirrel hunting all the time. These are tools and should be used as such. Now that doesn't men we should pull a Dana and toss them off a cliff or drag them behind our trucks....BUT...... they should be used. :D
100% , having them is bad for my ocd too lol!

• Haha
Reactions: woogie_man
Oh man...🥴
Where to begin....

Have fun!
Always take more than 1 slinger per session.
Enjoy the time.
Relax.
Don't think about life;
Think about shooting only.
The wind is always my biggest obstacle(here).
Zero .177 pest shots over 60yrd.(depending on slinger)
Zero .22 pest shots over 85yrd.(depending on slinger)
There are no bad shots; just shots to learn from.
Always have a large amount of ammo/targets.
Breathe.
Focus.
Don't look at the clock.
Don't worry....be happy
🤗🎩🤪🤙

POI shifts on springers
1. Do the easy checks, stock screws, scope screws, seals, broken springs
2. Look very closely at position control and trigger control (this accounts for more POI shifts than I care to admit)
3. Last check is scope failure.

(oh so sorry, just realized this was posted in the PCP section)

Edit: forgot one more. Sticking with Springers till I master the @#@#%$ darn thing.
1685658744223.png

Last edited:
Half inch or better at 50 yards...or see ya. I've found that to be easy with PCPs. A little more leave way with springers...but I won't have an inconsistent gun of any kind. I prefere "show pieces" these things are SOOO expensive if I need to go through the woods huntin' somethin' an old hand me down shot gun works for me....My rules....I'm not scratchin' up a 2 or 3k air gun for a squirrel or rabbit...but that's just me.