• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Rules clarification, Pistol Field Target, Scope magnification

I have a question regarding rule 11, on scope magnification.

11. Scopes maximum magnification of 12x. Variable scopes capable of greater than 12x are not allowed.
Clicking is allowed.

in the Rifle Hunter category, there is a maximum of 16x, scopes that have greater magnification must be set at 16 or the next lower marked magnification. Is this exception allowed in Pistol? The way I read it, it is not.
Any insight would be appreciated, as I had intended on shooting pistol next week in Morro bay, but the scope I have on hand is 16x.
many thanks in advance.
Scott

AAFTA pistol field target limits scopes to 12X maximum capabilities, and muzzle energy to 12 foot pounds.

However, TEXtreme Pistol Field Target rips off a combination of AAFTA RIFLE and PISTOL field target rules. ANY scope magnification allowed, but magnification must be set no higher than a factory 12X MARKING during competition. Also, the power limit and target distances in TEXtreme Pistol Field Target are the same as AAFTA RIFLE FT, 20 foot pounds of muzzle energy and target distances of 10-55 yards. Why?

Because I SAY SO.:oops:🤣

Bantam at 50.jpg

So I built a purpose-specific TFT pistol from a .177 Brocock Bantam Hi-Lite rifle, that outshoots its former self. Having souped-up the rifle, I had to actually DE-tune the pistol to get below 20 foot pounds. GREAT FUN knocking over three-foot tall coyote and elk extreme field targets at 55 yards!

View attachment TFT Pistol Rules pdf.pdf

By the way, the Inaugural TEXtreme Pistol Field Target WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS will be held the first weekend of December at Ranchito Robinson TEXtreme Field Target venue, near Waco, Texas. (y)

Last edited:
The image that Jon provided is older and doesn't show the important sentence added to rule 11 for EPFT "Elevation and windage adjustment turret clicking is allowed." Bear in mind that these are the rules used at Ron Robinson's matches. They may do things differently in AZ or elsewhere. Ron also specifies two classes, the only difference being sticks being allowed.

Here are the most recent EPFT rules I have:

2023 TEXtreme Pistol Field Target Rules

1. Air pistols only. The maximum caliber allowed is .25.
2. Muzzle energy is limited to a maximum of 20 foot-pounds.
3. Barrel length including shroud and muzzle attachments is limited to 15 inches. Barrel
length is measured from the tip of the barrel or muzzle attachment to the breech-face.
4. Fore-end depth is limited to a maximum of 3 inches, as measured from the center-
line of the bore to the lowest part of the gun forward of the trigger guard.
5. Attached cylinders at the rear of the pistol are not allowed.
6. Overall length including any attachments cannot exceed 25 inches.
7. No shooting jackets, slings, harnesses, or other bodily supports. Clothing or
shooting gloves worn by the shooter must not restrict hand or body movement.
8. Unattached shooting sticks, monopods and bipods are allowed. No tripods allowed.
9. Kneepads may not exceed 1 inch in thickness.
10. Sandbags, knee risers, and butt stocks are not allowed.
11. Scope maximum magnification is 12X. Variable scopes capable of greater than 12X
are allowed, but must be set to no higher than a 12X factory marking. Absent a 12X
factory marking, scopes must be set no higher than the next lower factory marking.
Elevation and windage adjustment turret clicking is allowed.
12. Bum-bags and seats are allowed that allow no form of arm or hand support.
13. Time limits may be enforced.
14. Any shooting position is allowed so long as the pistol is fully supported only by the
competitor and a monopod, bipod, or natural vegetation. Hangy-tanks are not allowed.
15. Target distances may be anywhere between 10 and 55 yards.
16. Kill zone sizes shall measure no less than .5”, no larger than 4”, and may be of any
shape.
17. Forced Standing Shots- Other than an unattached monopod, bipod, or natural rest
(trees, limbs, etc.), pistols are held solely by the hands, and may not contact the arms
or any other part of the body.
18. Light eyecup contact with the face is permitted.
19. Classes- There will be at least one class per match. Other classes may be added
as needed to accommodate at least three shooters in a given match.
Current TEXtreme PFT classes are: A) Pistolero Class: Rules as defined above.
B) Bandito Class: No shooting sticks, monopods or bipods allowed.
20. Pistol Rear Attachments- Allowed: Rear-mounted Power Adjuster. Reasoning: A
power adjuster is an integral part of the gun that does not provide additional support.
Not Allowed: Rear-mounted air cylinders or buffer tubes to fit a butt stock. Reasoning:
May provide additional support and weight ballast behind the grip of the gun.

YES ... limited PFT I'm well aware of the AAFTA rules allowing clicking. Question was EFT Pistol which is NOT an AAFTA class.

Tho thank you ;)
Oh sorry that was meant for the people that said you can't use scopes that go above 12 power for AAFTA pistol but you can as long as you put it on 12, but you know that. For Ron's you can dial. I am this weekend for the match. Sorry for the confusion

Oh sorry that was meant for the people that said you can't use scopes that go above 12 power for AAFTA pistol but you can as long as you put it on 12, but you know that. For Ron's you can dial. I am this weekend for the match. Sorry for the confusion
Great, I'll see you Saturday. Let's try not to get in any shoot offs, it's going to be hotter than satan's hemorrhoids.