• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Ruger Ruger Mark IV Custom

This is a fun and cheap little pistol. $50 at Tractor Supply and found its way to my house. I’ve never bought any gun this cheap. Took it out of the blister pack very carefully because I was certain that it would go back. After shooting it a bit I really became fond of it. Super easy to cock and very light weight makes it a perfect soda can killer out to about 20 yards. Something to just toss around and not be to concerned about. Chronographs in at around 280 fps with RWS Hobbies. Deviation is about 5 fps. Accuracy is good. Did a trigger job and got the 10 lbs to 4-5 lbs. Fast clean break. Made wooden grips. Bolivian Rosewood. It’s a keeper.
C6ED54F6-64CD-43FD-B958-70225B50B10C.jpeg
C0E9A2BA-38BD-4784-ACE2-A70ADDBB150A.jpeg
98DC6DB3-6914-4A99-911C-7D790AB7BE00.jpeg

Last edited:
This is a fun and cheap little pistol. $50 at Tractor Supply and found its way to my house. I’ve never bought any gun this cheap. Took it out of the blister pack very carefully because I was certain that it would go back. After shooting it a bit I really became fond of it. Super easy to cock and very light weight makes it a perfect soda can killer out to about 20 yards. Something to just toss around and not be to concerned about. Chronographs in at around 280 fps with RWS Hobbies. Deviation is about 5 fps. Accuracy is good. Did a trigger job and got the 10 lbs to 4-5 lbs. Fast clean break. Made wooden grips. Bolivian Rosewood. It’s a keeper.View attachment 410504View attachment 410505
I have one as well. Like you, the first order of business was a trigger job. I also added some ballast in the compartments under the grips to bring the weight up a bit. What a fun little shooter for not a lot of money. Those grips are gorgeous. You do great work.

Reactions: Bear-of-Grayling
I have had several Umarex Browning Buckmarks, which is the same internals as the Ruger, one trick I learned to make the trigger operation a little easier is to cock and load as normal, but before disengaging the automatic safety, pull the trigger to 'pre-set' the sear position. I always took care to make sure the gun was pointed in a safe direction when doing this!

A huge mis
I wasn't considering getting the Ruger, but if I could get some grips as amazing as the ones pictured above, I wouldn't hesitate!
A huge oversight by Umarex. With the unlimited options for grip panels available for the Ruger Mark Iv, they designed this pistol with different size hole spacing. And added a mounting stud on the frame that leaves a factory grip panel impossible to alter. Maybe a requirement from Ruger.

Reactions: Bear-of-Grayling
I did a trigger job on the stainless model today. It chronographs in a bit over 300 fps with the 7.0 grain RWS Hobbies. About 25-30 fps faster than the black model. Quite new yet but the numbers appear to be holding steady. I did a grip switch and this is how things landed. Now both are a tiny bit “custom”.
5CB76CCB-E595-46C0-A3BE-6E9C23D41D0F.jpeg

Reactions: aaroncr and cjtamu
T you for
I think I preferred the real wood grips on the black one...
Thank you for your opinion. I will most likely make a second set. The wood grip panels makes them look like a better quality pistol. They feel so much better in the hand also. Kind of a tricky build. The second set should go much faster, especially if do it while it’s fresh in my mind. However, I do like the brown color on the black. Maybe Walnut for the black one? Opinions welcome.

Reactions: Modski66
Glad you guys are having better luck than I did, seen here:

Maybe ill try again one day.

T you for

Thank you for your opinion. I will most likely make a second set. The wood grip panels makes them look like a better quality pistol. They feel so much better in the hand also. Kind of a tricky build. The second set should go much faster, especially if do it while it’s fresh in my mind. However, I do like the brown color on the black. Maybe Walnut for the black one? Opinions welcome.
So BOG, are you just removing the two grip screws to get the plastic factory grips off and then just copying the design in wood?
Thx
Ray