Ruger impact elite

All WANT ads must be in classified section. Please gain access and post the request there.
So, as a newbie to air guns, went to Walmart and bought a Ruger Impact Elite. Awful trigger tried to return it and they wouldn't take returns. Next I modified the stock to my liking, shortened the butt stock and sanded and refinned the whole stock with tru oil. Trigger issue didn't go away, so I then tried the ball point pen spring mod. Worked well for a few days and then the safety would not reset. Opened it up and the safety return springs kept popping off. Next the pen trigger spring got mangled so that the rifle would fire while closing the breech. So, I'm left with a nice stock and no rifle. Anyone else find the springs in the Ruger total poop?. If you have one you can't return I'll buy it cheap just to put the modded stock on. It's not worth sending to a gunsmith to fix. Still have all the original trigger components. If this belongs in another forum let me know.

MOD edit: Please make a Want To Buy ad in the Classified section. Great explanation of your circumstances and a valuable addition to the AGN knowledge base. This post is approved to stand As/Is for the information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take a look at charliedatuna.com they make aftermarket triggers for a lot of the budget spring guns. You just remove the old trigger and drop in the new one and you have a really nice trigger. It's much easier than trying to mod the factory parts.
I installed one on a Crosman break barrel several years ago and it's been great. They are easy to install.

Please, this is not a recommendation, just a result of experimenting and dangerous. Finally got the ruger impact elite shooting. Worked on it on and off for hours. The online youtube clips were not very helpful, except for how the sear and trigger bar should line up. Finally got that right, but installing a trigger spring immediately pushed the trigger bar and engaged the sear. So I did away with the trigger spring. The only force holding the action in place now is the sear spring pushing the sear against the trigger bar. It's now a hair trigger, too dangerous to leave as is. Rifle does not go off closing the breech and shoots as it should. I'm wondering if installing a heavier sear spring will put more pressure on the trigger bar and make it a heavier safer trigger pull. Still no safety. There is definitely some confusion about what a sear spring and a trigger spring do, and which is responsible for the trigger pull weight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bandito
FYI, Cathy (Gene's wife), just got back to me. She has triggers but is not knowledgeable about models. If anyone can tell me which to order for a Ruger Impact Elite NP and a crosman vantage I would be thankful.
The GRT-III is the most common one and fits most models but I can't guarantee that they will fit in yours. I have the GRT-III in my Crosman.
The web site says to find the trigger that fits "click on the link below" and it will show pictures of triggers that will accept the GRT-III. You would find a picture of a trigger that looks like yours and then you would know which type to order. The problem is I can't find the link that they are talking about.
I would try doing a search on u-tube.

Best of luck to you.

OK, so I am new here and I am wondering if I made a mistake. I bought a GAMO .177 break barrel rifle awhile back because of problems with tree rats. I am not in a subdivision but homes are still too close for me to use a rimfire or centerfire. OK so the GAMO has been doing a good job. In fact I got a couple of them past 35 yards. But the gun is losing some of it's juice. And I do want humane kills. So I bought a Ruger Impact Elite .22. SO I don't know what to think. It shoots hard, and is accurate with the Hammer scope I put on it. I don't want to do any target shooting. Just get rid of pests. So the gun barrel screws keep working loose. And accuracy goes to hell when they do. I just but blue thread locker on it and I am letting it dry. I don't mind the heavy trigger. I have a safe full of powder burners and some of them have similar triggers. If the thread locker doesn't work whats next? I read Wal Marts is not great about taking back any kind of "firearm". Even an airgun. So it's like this when it works it does everything I got it for. But I shouldn't have to be tightening the barrel after shooting it for awhile. Advice?

Reactions: Bandito