• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

ruger blackhawk elite defect

pete72

Jan 26, 2016
so I bought this gun a month or so ago and it was shootin pretty decent but had a crappy scope so I've upgraded. had a cvlife 3-9x 56 which turned out to be a real turd. so bought a hammers 3-9x32 which has nice clear optics. I been chasing around with sighting and was getting decent groupings for a bit then the gun just fell off and was all over the place. checked all the stock and scope screws and all were good. just happen to see a very small crack in the steel where the break barrel is. it was around 3/8 long and right at the edge of where the two meet. how in the world that happened but am glad I found it. I'm pretty sure it wasn't there before and probly explains why the sudden change in accuracy. only guess is from the piston slamming or bad steel or both. lost my receipt but kept the packaging so I was fortunate enough to do an exchange for another at Walmart's. one good thing about buying local. wish I had the receipt as I would have bought something better. better to buy something once and cry once as they say

Ouch! That's frustrating. If you like the that gun you'd probably love an RWS 34 which is what the Blackhawk is a clone of. AOA has them for around $250, another sure winner is the HW 95 on special for $299 from the same dealer. Both guns are made in Germany and are proven performers. Yes you'll spend twice what you paid for the Blackhawk, but what you get will be worth the $ IMO.
John

i guess i could always see if i could resell this and go that route but who's gonna want it? i think my next move would to get away from a springer and maybe move to a benjerman .22 pump. i had one years ago but i was younger too. i bought the springer to get away from the hassle of pumping. co2 and pcp are out for me too. just too expensive imho for what i want to do. 

ended up returning the second ruger Blackhawk elite to the retailer.everything that could be said bad about it should have been. was lucky and they allowed me to exchange for a totally different mfg. ended up with a Beeman Silver Kodiak X2 Air Rifle Combo. I've ran 150 or so pellets thru the .177 barrel and so far its shooting nice tight groups @20 yards with the hammers 3-9x32 scope. its hard to tell but I think this rifle has a bit more power then the ruger elite. so time will tell if it keeps shooting well. hope the .22 barrel performs as well as the .177 is as of now. kinda nice to have 2 calibers in one rifle plus the nickel plating.

thanks greenterror. been shooting this beeman for the past 2 days. first day took a little bit to get it zeroed but got it shootin great. took it out today and happy to report still shooting awesome. this rifle so far is 10x better then the ruger Blackhawk elite. the stock has a kinda of a weird feel. think its just a little too wide around to get a good trigger reach but that's really it. the hammers 3-9 x32 is working great too. was nice to be able to just shoot and not having to screw around with a wandering scope zero. I'm starting to think this was a great buy