• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

RTI Shroud - Thunk vs Tink

Maybe discussed before, but I searched and didn't find anything..

So I had my RTI .30 out and was changing to a different moderator. Accidentally bumped the shroud with my thumb..TINK.

Well, that's weird..never noticed that before. Got out my RTI Compact and tried the same thing..THUNK.

TINK..THUNK.. TINK..THUNK No, not a metallic reggae song..

OK there must be metal to metal contact somewhere causing the TINK noise. Checked all the screws for tightness..all OK. Pulled the barrel and examined the barrel centering disc and it looked like the O-ring had collapsed..it was basically pushed so far into the groove that there was no protruding O-ring to cushion the centering ring in the shroud. Found a little use O-ring on another RTI barrel and swapped it for the "suspect" O-ring. Reinstalled the barrel..THUNK.

So anyone else notice this with their RTI? Is a different, harder O-ring the solution? Is it only the .30 that this happens on (because of the recoil)?

I see on the RTI Arms website o-ring kits and the hardness is either 70 or 90. Is the solution to use a 90 duro hardness?

Thoughts?

Ordered some additional o-rings..differing sizes.

It may be the centering part has an o-ring groove that is machined too deeply..and the .30 recoil is pushing the o-ring into the groove. Doesn't seem to be an issue with my .22 RTI.

Will try:
1) wrap the barrel centering part with some dental floss then install the standard o-ring
2) try slightly larger (fatter) o-rings.

O-rings came to day..so maybe tomorrow