RTI RTI Prophet vs Impact M3 for mild slug hunting gun

1698563565749.jpeg

I owed an Impact M3 and was pretty impressed with its capability to shoot slug accurately. But when it comes to holding zero day in day out, my M3 does do a good job and it's a bumper trying to rezero my gun any shooting session. Just few clicks like 5 to 7 ckicks but I don't like the idea of zeroing every time I go hunting.

Has anyone with a slug shooting RTI prophet (either 1 or 2) can confirm if your gun could hold zero time after time? I'm shooting 27gr to 30gr .22 at 950fps or 33-35gr .25 @950fps that's all I need.

Thanks a bunch!

I owned a Gen 1 LR and its barrel was designed for 22 MRD pellets and not slugs. It was spot on every time I shot it though with pellets. I also own a compact Gen 1 Prophet and it is dead on every time too. M1, MII and M3's I owned were not. They wandered continuously. The only benefit of an Impact is its lighter weight than the long Prophet's but Prophets are built VERY robustly so there's the trade off.

Reactions: oledawg and obi123
The second slug gun I built was a RTI back in 2018. I did so much testing that I don’t remember if I had to make “FX” corrections frequently when I got it out to shoot. That gun wound up going back to being a pellet gun because it was just so stellar with them. Plus controlling my dwell on the RTI Priest was a big pain in the butt with many disassembly’s. I was having a conversation with a fellow member here while he was testing slugs out of his P2. I also have a P2 so I decided to shoot some from my rather large inventory just to see if I could give him some more options and save him some time. My gun is a .25. My results were nothing horrible but nothing fantastic. I would like to give you something to consider. I have two M3 slug guns and a M3 pellet shooter. The pellet shooter almost never requires a few clicks before a hunt. But the moody slug shooters sometimes do. Slugs are really dirty projectiles. So you may never get away from checking your gun before a hunt. I have another slug shooting bullpup with a slug barrel. It’s holds it’s zero for quite a while. But as it gets dirty, things change.

Reactions: obi123
When I had my P2 in .25, I never had a wondering POI. It was a decent shooter as well. When I had my M3, I did have POI shifts on occasion. It was a great shooter but I always felt like I had to be mindful of how I put it down, bumping the barrel shroud etc. As others stated, I would say the Prophets are a bit more forgiving when dragged through the bush. Hope this was helpful.

That was very helpful guys, I think I'm leaning towards P2 & Vulcan 3 (heard good reviews about them recently). For me, my previous M3 was never a "reliable" gun in my dictionary.
Then it’s time to move on. I did years ago but came back with more knowledge. I would like to claim I have my thumb on almost every aspect of the Impact but I will openly admit that they can be temperamental and sometimes frustrating. They actually cause me to be superstitious and that’s why I try not to brag about any of them. They will make me pay for bragging. Good luck on your quest. If you can find a slug that shoot’s fantastic out of a RPB barrel, it should be a good gun. I saw good groups at 50 yards with my P2, but not tiny groups that would give me confidence to push the distance. But I didn’t try very hard.

@Mrshosted , @Spinach , are you guys shooting slugs from a full size or compact Prophet? What slug, weight and speed? I’d love to see some targets with your guns shooting slugs
Prophet 2 600mm RPB barrel.
Jsb knockout 217. 925fps working well, same set up for redesigned.
H&N HP2 25gr also shooting well.

I'm still playing around with speeds but so far I am happy with performance.

Sorry no pictures of targets, I will try and remember next time I'm out.

Gary

Prophet 2 600mm RPB barrel.
Jsb knockout 217. 925fps working well, same set up for redesigned.
H&N HP2 25gr also shooting well.

I'm still playing around with speeds but so far I am happy with performance.

Sorry no pictures of targets, I will try and remember next time I'm out.

Gary
Shooting slugs from full size P3 it’s an amazing pcp accuracy is stellar accuracy is stellar!