RTI Prophet Performance ~slight~ leak @fill port on the reg

Subject says it - I've known this gun to be slowly losing air for some time now - several months but the leak is slow enough that I don't really care - yet is is an annoying nag. ( you know - like mosquitoes . . . ) For example - I could fill it to 250 bar and just let it sit - 3 days later it might be down to 200 - maybe even 4 days. Again - not a big / major leak - but an annoyance none the less. I finally decided to "strip it down" - removed the sideplates, pic rail, pulled the shroud off, butt plate, etc .... and then sprayed it down with a warm soap and water mix looking for bubbles. It took a while but - I found it.

I've since blown it dry with my air compressor that I have in the barn for filling up car tires and what not as well as wiping it dry with a towel. It's very clean now. I put a 10" crescent wrench to the fill port to see if I could snug it down a bit but . . . . it ain't moving. It seems to be ~very tight~ and I'm not going to go Hercules on it.

It's still got 150bar of air in the tank.

^^ That last sentence up there. Thinking / wondering if I should completely degass it and then try moving that fill port / nipple again. ( existing pressure is preventing me from tightening / moving it? )

What think guys? Ideas / suggestions?

I think mine has a very slight leak too, but is so slow that I only notice it if the gun sits for two or three days.

I have been on a job away from my home for a week and a half, but brought it with me so I just checked. I don't know it it leaked off 50 bar or if it was the 5500 ft difference in altitude, but either way, 50 bar in a week and a half is kind of irrelevant to me. And that slow of leak might be nearly impossible to pin down.

i would submerge under water and see exact point of leak , it has to be an oring , possible wrong size or hardness u fitted or leak is not where u put oring , this is why you need to put under water and see exact place bubbles are coming from , I been a mechanic my whole life and I been servicing my own pcp for decades , as long as things clean and defect dree meaning nicks or burrs things will seal
water will show leak if you submerge it , I use either water or CRC leak finder aresol , which is a spraycan with a bubbly foam it was designed to find tiny air leaks with gas piping , with out dunking it , you will not find leak unless pure luck , I have had some guns lose 10 bar a week , and they only make a tiny bubble every 30 seconds so it will show up and it will show where it is coming from , PS water will not ruin nothing it is only water it will dry off , , only thing I would do id tape off your gage faces as some of the gages are not sealed perfect and you dont want water to enter as they fog up , so I use blue painters tape and tape off where glass on gage is so nothing leaks into gage assy , as for rest of gun it is fine

LOU

Last edited:
Reactions: jdanvers
i would submerge under water and see exact point of leak , it has to be an oring , possible wrong size or hardness u fitted or leak is not where u put oring , this is why you need to put under water and see exact place bubbles are coming from , I been a mechanic my whole life and I been servicing my own pcp for decades , as long as things clean and defect dree meaning nicks or burrs things will seal
water will show leak if you submerge it , I use either water or CRC leak finder aresol , which is a spraycan with a bubbly foam it was designed to find tiny air leaks with gas piping , with out dunking it , you will not find leak unless pure luck , I have had some guns lose 10 bar a week , and they only make a tiny bubble every 30 seconds so it will show up and it will show where it is coming from , PS water will not ruin nothing it is only water it will dry off , , only thing I would do id tape off your gage faces as some of the gages are not sealed perfect and you dont want water to enter as they fog up , so I use blue painters tape and tape off where glass on gage is so nothing leaks into gage assy , as for rest of gun it is fine

LOU
Thanks for the suggestion. I have used similar methods of leak detection in the past, but sometimes a leak is so slight that it is not worth the trouble.
When I am not on the road, I shoot at least twice a day, so I never even noticed that there was a leak until I had to let the gun sit for a number of days.

OK if you guys finding rear plug leak at threads , I personally prefer a good hi pressure sealant like

Permatex 54540 sealant great for hi pressure​

I have used this with leaks on fittings exceeding 15000 psi in Hyd fittings , I know with pcp guns it isnt this high , but teflon tape while it is fine with shop air150psi , it isnt good at 3500 psi . I wouldnt use it for a thread leak , I would try a liquid teflon sealant , if it was all I had , I use best sealants so things are done 1 time , alot of fittings on equipment which needs to be coated and assembled can take many hours to get at once things back together , so clean and de-grease both sides and any poor machining or burrs clean up coat and let cure then refill gun alot of sealants need to cure before having pressure put to them , hope this helps ,I do own a prophet 1 .22

performance but I never had any problems with creep or leaks with mine . but with all pcp I own I stock all orings when i get one ,so as if anything fails or needs to come part and be cleaned Ican replace seals and not have to order orings ,

here is some pictures of the rear fill one person has leaks which sealant would fix and other near reg where exactly is it leaking here are diagrams View attachment RegulatorPriestExploded7.jpg

View attachment Prophet-exploded_pages-to-jpg-0001.jpg

LOU

Last edited:
Reactions: jdanvers