Tuning rti prophet performance regulator rebuild?

I received a new reg from Mr. Rob via AoA a few weeks back.(warranty) clocked the bottle so reg and fill is @ 6 o’clock. Filled with air and sealed just fine as described above.
Note…. Since the manifold isn’t tight/flush against the action/block, doing so you may experience the bottle pushing up against the shroud if you rest the bottle on sticks/bag etc. Which could change your POI. So I’d recommend you use a bipod if you go this route.

after installing the new reg, I adjusted to get back to the velocity my gun prefers (140bar). Worked great with no creep…for three mags…. Then back to even worse creep.

I dinked and dinked with it until I stumbled into what I believe cured it.

I turned the reg up to like 250 bar and back down to about 100. Then back to 140. Vola! It hasn’t had reg creep in over a couple of tins of pellets.

I only fill mine to 250bar per Derrick Wall’s suggestion. Makes sense. By the reg not having to “hold back” 300bar, it’s going to extend the overall life of the reg. And since I have mine set at 140 bar I still get 50 > shots.

So, if you install the new reg, you may want to screw the adjustment in and out a few times to “seat” it.

Hey Vetmx, that was me you helped with the regulator questions.

That's my pic of the new design internals on the left. So far they have held steady pressure.

I had emailed RTI and ask about the creep. Got a response in a day or so. Was told new regs were on the way by slow boat to AOA. About six weeks later AOA called and told me they were shipping new internals to me. RTI also sent a hat!

I don't think it is possible to get the seat off of the shaft on old or new to lap the surface. The collar appears to be pressed onto the shaft.

Good stuff. Thanks to all of you for the input guys! I've got it back together and, well ..... as weird as it is NOT snugging it down - yeah - it works. I didn't actually get into pulling the reg apart - this was just a foray / recon into pulling this gun apart as I mentioned earlier - I never have. Baby steps. ( lol ) My m-rod, taipan's - I've had them *completely* stripped down lots of times . . . .

@alias - you asked earlier (I think asking me?) how old and what is max I've filled it to? It's about a year, year and a half and when I first got it I did fill it up to 300 bar on a couple of occasions - and quickly found myself back at the scuba shop where I get my tank filled. I typically just take it to 260 bar now. My 250 guns (Taipans) I take to 240.

So anyway - I've filled it up to 260 bar - that's where I typically take it - 300 just kills my tank way to fast. I've got the reg set at 140'ish right now (9:26pm EST). I'm gonna go downstairs and suffer a little bit and watch my football team (Steelers) and see how badly they choke - I'll check it in the morning before I head off to work and see if it has moved.

My foster was pointing inconveniently and yes it seals just fine when rotated to the 'convenient' position. Put an o-ring between the reg and receiver to tighten against. It works.

@davecole -- that's (potentially) useful / good stuff. Fill the bottle to 250-260 bar and then crank the reg up accordingly? For what .... a minute or two - just to 'mash' it / get it seated? Dry fire once or twice while mashed / cranked way up like that and then back it down?

@vetmx - OT "win" - lol. I didn't actually stay up to watch the game as my alarm for work goes off early ( 4:45am ) but based on what I saw in the game stats they were in full on choke mode throughout the 2nd half. {sigh} lol

All: Mr. Rob did respond to my inquiry - he asked for a photo of my reg plus serial number - I'll get that to him later this evening after I get home from work. He did indicate that AOA should have spare parts. 

@davecole -- that's (potentially) useful / good stuff. Fill the bottle to 250-260 bar and then crank the reg up accordingly? For what .... a minute or two - just to 'mash' it / get it seated? Dry fire once or twice while mashed / cranked way up like that and then back it down?

@vetmx - OT "win" - lol. I didn't actually stay up to watch the game as my alarm for work goes off early ( 4:45am ) but based on what I saw in the game stats they were in full on choke mode throughout the 2nd half. {sigh} lol

All: Mr. Rob did respond to my inquiry - he asked for a photo of my reg plus serial number - I'll get that to him later this evening after I get home from work. He did indicate that AOA should have spare parts.

I wouldn't go all the way up in one adjustment. I'd go up 10 bar or so and fire a couple shots, repeat until you get there. Same on the way back down. 

Vetmx and Scotty, thanks for the pictures…and to Brownie for the comment about the seat being press-fitted to the shaft. 

In that case one way to dress the seat is to drill piece of hardwood so the regulator’s shaft is a close clearance fit. Then prep a piece of sandpaper with a matching hole and glue it to the jig, then insert the part and spin it. Be mindful that you don’t want to generate so much heat that the plastic will melt so start with a coarse enough grit that it will be able to level the surface without having to stop a bunch of times to let it cool. Then change to a finer grit to smooth the surface. 

When you get close, use a paste abrasive like J-B to lap it to the regulator body. Color both surfaces with a Sharpie. When the marking wears away in a clean concentric ring on both parts, you know the surfaces are well fitted for a proper seal.

I’ve fixed some stubborn creepers with this approach. It also works for repairing a poppet that has sustained damage from a piece of debris or mishandling.

I filled the tank to about 250.
Then I turned the reg to a little over 200. The creep had stopped at about 180.

Shot it a few times. No pellets. No sense to be wasteful.

Turned the reg back down to around 100.

Bled the air in the tank down below 100.

Aired the tank back up to about 250.

Turned the reg up to about 140. 

loaded a magazine and shot over the Chrony while adjusting the reg to achieve my desired speed of around 970. 
reg now sits at about 145 and has held steady since and that was two weeks ago

I am a little leery of forming the seat by adjusting it under pressure. What that is doing is rotating the parts against each other while they are squeezed together with significant pressure. Doing so tends to score it and/or displace material, potentially trading off long-term reliability for a quick fix.

Not to overstate the concern, it depends a lot on the materials, seat geometry, the metalwork’s surface finish, and pressure. With the right combination of factors, it may be a perfectly elegant solution. Just something to consider.

Nervoustrig, I’m not sure the assembly will turn, possibly just the adjustment grub screw spins, adding pressure through the springs?

here are a couple pics….
CA15ACE6-AA63-4C16-8E55-69944E5A8FD8.1634574911.jpeg
81B7BA31-EDFE-4ED4-93DE-EE3872C1429A.1634574912.jpeg
it looks to me like the seal is only the o ring on the perimeter?

I bought a huma bottle reg for my kral puncher but have not installed it yet. ZX10 was selling an rti prophet with the huma bottle reg and rti reg on his. I am going to try and use both regs on my prophet compact as I would set the reg then it would creep up 10 bar or if I had to fill it up from below the reg setting, it would go up 20 bar or so and I would need to readjust. Setting my reg at 110 bar for .22 pellets and the huma came set at 131.

Here is some results from my compact .22 after adding a Huma Reg before the RTI reg. Huma is showing 140 bar setting and RTI reg is set at 110 Bar. Don't judge the groups as I was just shooting in my basement 7 yd range off a bipod and holding the buttpad into my shoulder so not the greatest of rests. The top groups were before the RTI reg and at a setting of 110 bar, 5 shot groups. Second set are 10 shot groups with Huma reg. My biggest creep issues were during air fill up and would rise 10 bar above my original setting. A couple dry fires and a fiddle with with RTI reg setting would put it back to normal. I do have the new spring model.

z8EVugFh.jpg
[/url][/img]