RTI Prophet Owners - Barrel Kits - Anyone have or use 'em?

I have the performance model in .25 cal. It's awesome. ( 'nuff said )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTsioAhv-gk&t=4s

AOA release a video review of it this weekend and as part of that, the guy demonstrated how relatively straight forward it is to swap out the barrels so that you can change to different calibers. Now I wanna buy a .177 and .22 barrel kit. ( {sigh} lol :)

. . . I'm driving into work this morning kicking this around trying to justify why I "need" these kits - I don't - but the more I think about it the more 'stuff' pops into my skull. I remember Erlis ( Orion the Iguana Hunter ) modded his .25 cal as he wanted to shoot pellets vs slugs and he apparently had a heck of a time getting the pellets to shoot slow enough as the OEM hammer / hammer spring combo is pretty stout. He was hoping to score a lighter hammer / hammer spring from the vendor.

AOA's kits are the 'Priest' barrel kits vs. the 'Prophet', which is actually preferable as I like to shoot slugs. The .22 'LR' barrel that the Performance model ships with is a 24" barrel that has a super slow twist rate and is apparently ~specifically~ made to shoot 25g monster rd's - ONLY. The 'Priest' barrels are 20" and I'm told not particularly pellet fussy and apparently shoot slugs well too.

Back to the subject / question. ↑ If you have the Prophet AND have / are currently swapping barrels for different caliber use with it - are you also seeing need to mess with the hammer and hammer spring - ie; swap them out for something lighter?

Thanks guys . . .

-=- jd -=-

Priest barrels don’t shoot slugs well unless you have very low standards. You can get them to do ok at pellet distances but after 40yrds things start to go south. That’s why I built a TJ for mine. Then I wanted my gun to be a jack of all trades and build a FX superior for it. All that barrel swapping, reg and scope adjusting became annoying. When the gun was on slugs, I wanted to shoot pellets and vice versa. I tried the caliber swapping thing with other guns and it was just the same thing. JD, just buy another gun. Life is much better when you have guns in different calibers ready to go at a moments notice. You can make each one perfect and leave it alone.

I did not swap my barrel yet, Im waiting for the longer Prophet barrel kits to show up. But FWIW, Mr. Rob at RTI had some info after inquiring about going to 177 for FT comps, although he was probably thinking sub12 class. I should have clarified in retrospect🤔 Anyway, he suggested to change the grub screw as well (tp) to a smaller size to reduce the inconsistencies seen when trying to power down using reg and HS only, which suggests a pretty significant adjustment. He did not suggest any spring replacement, even going from 30 to 177. Makes perfect sense about the grub screw though, as they offer two 177 models. 

Priest barrels don’t shoot slugs well unless you have very low standards. You can get them to do ok at pellet distances but after 40yrds things start to go south. That’s why I built a TJ for mine. Then I wanted my gun to be a jack of all trades and build a FX superior for it. All that barrel swapping, reg and scope adjusting became annoying. When the gun was on slugs, I wanted to shoot pellets and vice versa. I tried the caliber swapping thing with other guns and it was just the same thing. JD, just buy another gun. Life is much better when you have guns in different calibers ready to go at a moments notice. You can make each one perfect and leave it alone.

I concur , I can adjust my taipans around but would rather set each for a purpose and forget it.

I concur , I can adjust my taipans around but would rather set each for a purpose and forget it.

I concur as well after shooting A LOT OF PELLETS and spending too much time with a chrony strapped on the end of the gun. After the Taipan VL was dialed in I have not touched it and will do the same for my RT Perf. Compact.

On the other hand... if you enjoy tinkering more than shooting great consistent guns then do it.