• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning RTI Prophet low power

Does he know the proper way to tune a gun at different reg set points? Does he know what symptoms indicate that he has too much spring once the set point gets too low for that spring. We can set our regs too high for the spring that’s supplied with the gun and we can also set it too low on some guns. The Prophet .22 performance was designed to shoot 25gr pellets at crazy reg pressures so the spring in the gun might be a little stiff at 100b. It’s not letting him tune far enough below the plateau.

Well let’s not put the cart ahead of the horse when it comes to springs. First let’s determine if what’s in the gun is going to let you tune that low. No sense in throwing money at it. Let B or someone find your max speed at 100b, then see if you can back it down 3%. If you can’t, you have too much spring. Once that is determined, and before you reach for your wallet, take your spring out and see if there is a hammer weight in there. If there is, take it out and try again.

find your max speed at 100b, then see if you can back it down 3%. If you can’t, you have too much spring.

Vetmx,

If you set your reg at 100 bar then increase HS to get max velocity or the point where turning the HS in more makes no change or lowers velocity, is that the point where you have max spring? What does backing off the HS 3% do? 

If you set the reg to whatever and back your spring way off, the first good news is always seeing the velocity climb as you start turning the spring in. When the velocity flattens out at let’s say 750fps, I would back it off to 725 and start shooting for accuracy and checking efficiency. I don’t think it’s etched in stone how far below the plateau every gun is most efficient. It just depends on too many things, but it’s a good place to start. If you have your gun set to shoot at 97%+or- of your max velocity, you also have a good chance of overcoming a little reg creep. The only issue with the RTI guns is when you get too low on the reg, you might wind up with your HS screw sticking out the back of your butt plate. Another tip for all you RTI guys is wrap your HS screw with Teflon tape. I’ve had my guns screw start moving on its own. It showed up as decreasing velocity and had me chasing my tail and wasting lead for a while. I would also like to mention something that can get guys goofed up when judging their guns efficiency. If your reg is slow to recover and your shooting too fast across the chronograph, you’re not going to be happy. If your gun has two gauges, use them. Learn how long it takes your gun to recover between shots. Then give it the amount of time it needs between shots when shooting over the chronograph. Being -20fps for a quick follow up shot on a bird or something is no big deal. But a 20+ES will send some guys straight to a forum panic stricken.