• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

RTI Prophet II

Thinking about purchasing a RTI Prophet II performance for my first PCP air gun. It seems like it has good power, accuracy and is ambidextrous.

Im sure I would end up doing quite a bit of hunting with it. But I plan on doing a whole lot of backyard shooting with it.

Is it possible to get it backyard quiet shooting

JSB Redesigned Monster Pellets .22 25.39 at around 950 fps or so?

Im concerned it could be too loud.

Last edited:
DrahtDog,
PCPs, in general, have some sort of built-in method to silence, such as a shrouded barrel, and also will provide installation method, via threads at shroud end, for an optional moderator. Can't imagine the RTI Prophet 2 would not do so, since near silent operation is a big draw for this hobby. Research the gun for such features. WM

What are you shooting in your backyard with 51 ft/lbs of energy?

For backyard shooting, I turn my Prophet down to 925fps with JSB 18.13g. Same tune shoots 15.89 Hades at 960fps. Using a Weihrauch moderator (30mm tube design - copied by many) its very quiet, accurate and get an amazing shot count.
Targets. I dont know much about airguns. I just figured it would be much easier to leave the gun tuned for a specific projectile than constantly fiddle with it.

Is it quick and easy to go from one tune to another?

I have a good sized yard to shoot in. I havent ranged it, but its easily over 50 yards. Id assume with a well built backstop it will be plenty safe.

Im really well versed in firearms, not so much airguns. Other than my old sheridan silver streak from when I was a kid. Which I need to rebuild.

Kind of planning of throwing one of my rifle scopes on the air rifle when I get it. I have a custom rifle I built that currently has a Schmidt and Bender 5-20x on it in a GDI p-rom quick detach mount. That rifle rarely gets shot due to time commitments with the wife and kids. It will be really convenient and save a lot of time to be able to shoot at home instead of driving to the range.

Having such accurate adjustments using the exposed windage, elevation turrets plus parralax adjustment along with plenty of travel that should get me started rather quickly.

I dont want to sink too much cash into it right off the bat. Just looking to get started with something really accurate that I wont outgrow quickly and see where it goes.

The prophet and prophet 2 are fantastic guns. But the 2 is more suited to slugs and higher power. Although it can be tuned down for pellets, the balanced valve they use doesn’t behave as nicely as it does at higher power.

Also, the barrel on the 2 is a slug twist. The prophet performance 22lr (long range) was optimized for the mrd pellet and was easier to get lower power consistency.

Just something to consider. RTI makes a fantastic gun.

Dave

Reactions: Scotty1
Im definitely intersted in slugs along with pellets.

I have two Prophet Performance V1 LR - .22 and .25. These LR (long range) barrels in the V1 were slow twist rate barrels - optimized to win long range pellet bench rest competitions.

The .22 and .25 barrels in the PP V2 have a faster twist rate as SB327 said above. The PP V2 barrels in .22 and .25 should shoot slugs better than the v1 barrels- but they will not keep pellets stable (accurate) at the hi velocities that the V1 barrels can.

The PP V1s are very easy to tune down or up - you have an external regulator adjustment and externally accessible hammer spring adjustment.

The PP V2s utilize balanced valve technology. I don’t own a V2 but I understand that you use the regulator pressure to tune (control velocity) with the hammer spring adjustment not having as much of an effect with the balanced valve.

I would think that shooting MRDs at 950fps is going to need a significant moderator to make it reasonable in the backyard- as 51 foot pounds is moving a lot of air. The Huma Mod 40 that was suggested was a good idea.

However, the beauty of these rifles is that they are easy to adjust power - so there is no reason not to lower the power if just plinking or shooting targets in your yard.

Its also super easy to change calibers on the RTI Prophet. I timed myself and did it in under 4 minutes. So, you can pick up the .177 barrel kit for your PP .22 and make it real backyard friendly… and have plenty of power to try .177 slugs if you desire.

Thats some serious German glass that you are going to put on it. How short a distance is the minimum parallax on that scope?

I don't have a prophet 2 but I have 3 of the prophet 1... 2 are compacts, 1 full size. I don't usually use a moderator I live in a very rural area so there's no one to upset. The shroud does muffle it "some" but I wouldn't think it would be enough if you have neighbors fairly close. When I find that I need to use a moderator and it's tuned properly it is very silent... I would start off first (no matter the rifle you choose) shooting pellets and learning to tune it to whatever grain pellet.. the prophet 1 (haven't a clue about the prophet 2) is very simple to set up once you get the hang of it.
Being a beginner don't get caught up in messing with slugs....slug tuning can get aggravating and tuning them in isn't as forgiving as pellets..
You'll also need to check into the life support system... Tank... compressor and all that good stuff to bring a PCP to life..

Reactions: Scotty1
EPG. My parralax adjustment goes from 10 meters on bottom out to infinity on that particular scope.

Planning on starting using a tank. Need to check my scuba tanks pressure rating. I have 2 steel 100's. They may not be high enough. I may need to look into other options there.

Ill try to wait on a compressor for now.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Reactions: ostbakl
What are you shooting in your backyard with 51 ft/lbs of energy?

For backyard shooting, I turn my Prophet down to 925fps with JSB 18.13g. Same tune shoots 15.89 Hades at 960fps. Using a Weihrauch moderator (30mm tube design - copied by many) its very quiet, accurate and get an amazing shot count.
I shoot my Prophet Performance at those power levels in my back yard, but my back yard is almost 200 yards from the south border to the north.
My shooting table is about in the center of that so that I am not in eyeshot of people driving by.

And on the subject of power levels. The OP mentioned backstop. It's got to be pretty substatial. I started with a 3/4 sheet of plywood that I demolished pretty quickly. 51 ft/lbs plus takes a lot to stop.

I am currently using a a pallet with scraps of wood in the gaps. then layers of rubber stall mats. about an inch and a quarter of dense rubber and still pick pellets out of the dirt behind it.

EPG. My parralax adjustment goes from 10 meters on bottom out to infinity on that particular scope.

Planning on starting using a tank. Need to check my scuba tanks pressure rating. I have 2 steel 100's. They may not be high enough. I may need to look into other options there.

Ill try to wait on a compressor for now.

Thanks for all the advice guys.
I have a Burris XTR III on mine. Similar to what you are using in magnifications, but only focuses down to 20 yards. I don't need to focus down to that for what I shoot. I don't even use all of the magnification it offers, but it is nice to have when I push out past 100 yards.
I mainly use this scope because of the image quality. I like clear bright optics.

Was planning on adding a STO Falx moderator to it also.

Ill definitely look into the Huma.
I had both the Huma and the Falx on my original Prophet Performance shooting .22 cal RD's at about 970. The Falx was only one or two dB's quieter but the bark was also more muted making it sound like a bigger difference. The Huma had a bit of a crack to the shot, the Falx did not.

I’d recommend this: