• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

RTI Prophet: Extended Scope Rail?

I took a closer look at mine today. It seems to me that you could have the stock rail milled down the slots to a flat surface and then just drill and tap it to bolt a long rail in whatever position you like.
Doing this you would have a slightly taller rail, but not by much.

Yes, that sounds good, thanks for the idea. 👍🏼

I meant to have bought a rail already, but... I haven't found a long enough rail just yet. I'm thinking of adding a laser in the front, and a side extension for a carrying sling. And I need flexibility in both directions for when I add an NV. So, yeah, 13" or longer would be my preference.
Would a rail for the m-lok system work?

Matthias

Yes, that sounds good, thanks for the idea. 👍🏼

I meant to have bought a rail already, but... I haven't found a long enough rail just yet. I'm thinking of adding a laser in the front, and a side extension for a carrying sling. And I need flexibility in both directions for when I add an NV. So, yeah, 13" or longer would be my preference.
Would a rail for the m-lok system work?

Matthias
if you milled the OEM rail flat and drilled multiple mounting holes, what would stop you from mounting two rails end to end? That would give more than enough rail to mount lots of stuff.

prophet_top_rail.jpg

About milling the OEM rail flat:
Sorry, I think I'm finally understanding.... — I don't even know exactly what "milling" means, you see, because my background isn't it machining metals but in machining minds.... 🤦🏻‍♂️ (well, helping minds to grow and learn, you get the idea).
➔ So, only thanks to guys like you on the forums have I been able to tune and even mod my PCP's....
Otherwise, I would not have attempted to even open them up!! 😄

Now, to your idea. 👍🏼
Yes, I suppose I could just flatten it out and bolt a couple rails on top of it.

However, if I'm not mistaken (and it seems to require less machining) — I could just take the OEM rail off.
And take a generic rail, drill holes into the right places where the rail stems are, and fasten the rail with the same OEM bolts.
I could even drill several pairs of holes so I could mount the same new rail further forward or backward, as I see fit.

The longer I'm on these forums, the bolder I'm getting....! 😄 (or crazier....?)
On the PP700 I hacksawed a dovetail adaptor rail because it was in the way of the hammer. Then I dremeled down the 4 adaptor rail bolts to make space for the Tactacam.... ➔ Yeah, the killing machine is not all that pretty after using primitive tools, but now it records really pretty kill shots....

Matthias

Now, to your idea. 👍🏼
Yes, I suppose I could just flatten it out and bolt a couple rails on top of it.

However, if I'm not mistaken (and it seems to require less machining) — I could just take the OEM rail off.
And take a generic rail, drill holes into the right places where the rail stems are, and fasten the rail with the same OEM bolts.
I could even drill several pairs of holes so I could mount the same new rail further forward or backward, as I see fit.
Yes, I suppose you could do that, but the rail that comes on the gun s not flat on the bottom. It is sort of a tounge and groove fit, that has the advantage of never drifting out of alignment.

IMG_2430.jpg

You would also loose your 20 MOA unless you found a rail that also has that.

If I were doing this, I would order a spare rail from RTI and take it to a local machine shop to have it milled flat.It would be a pretty simple job.

O yeah, I see the tongue and groove... — good observation. 👍🏼

Having had this conversation with you guys has encouraged and confirmed for me that I want a custom rail —
• Longer
• Lower
— and that I just need to overcome my uncertainness and go and find a local shop to do this for me.

✅ From now on, all bullpups (with their extra high rails) will get this treatment....

Enablers? Yes, you are. Though this time, not enabling me to go on an airgun shopping spree — but to grow beyond my comfort zone. Thanks! 👍🏼

Matthias

Last edited:
I found a rail that I could use without any machining.

Rail. 13.8'' (35cm) long. 0.5'' (13mm) height added. $35

And if I cut off the bottom part and drill holes I could use it as a replacement for the OEM rail — and thus gain another half inch to lower my scope....

Matthias

Scope Mounts.   Rail.  13.8'' (35cm) long.  0.5'' (13mm) height added.  $35.jpg

Reactions: jmohme
Thanks for the info, and the effort to design something like that. 👍🏼

I'm not quite sure from the photo or the description if this is limited to Prophet II.... — or all of RTI's guns (Priest, Prophet I + II).
At least as far as I can tell the Prophet I does not have a dovetail, and I don't see how to mount this part on the two "rail pillars" of the Prophet I. Maybe a photo of just the part would be helpful, and a description how much higher my scope will mount as compared to the OEM rail.👍🏼😊

Matthias

Looks like the picatinny railed portion comes off and you mount the base to the two original rail locations on top of the pillars, then slide the picatinny portion on and run the two cross bolts through. Little steep for my tastes. If people would quit adding thicker butt pad options for the Prophet the original rail works well enough.

Looks like they made a dovetail on top of the lower base so you can pull off the picatinny portion and just use the bottom with dovetail mounts.

Reactions: KrafordAndLypt
Reactions: KrafordAndLypt
Looks like the picatinny railed portion comes off and you mount the base to the two original rail locations on top of the pillars, then slide the picatinny portion on and run the two cross bolts through. Little steep for my tastes. If people would quit adding thicker butt pad options for the Prophet the original rail works well enough.

Looks like they made a dovetail on top of the lower base so you can pull off the picatinny portion and just use the bottom with dovetail mounts.
The rail can be adjusted from 0 to 120moa and everywhere in-between. It operates much like no limit rings, but lets you keep the scope lower than using those rings. There is the added benefit of the wedge to set to some defined moa levels.
Thicker pads unfortunately are the only way around their hammer spring adjustment. There might be a way around that by putting a stiffer shorter spring, then you would have to thread the rear block. Not a simple mod...
And yes, you can use it as a dovetail rail or picatinny.

Thanks for the info, and the effort to design something like that. 👍🏼

I'm not quite sure from the photo or the description if this is limited to Prophet II.... — or all of RTI's guns (Priest, Prophet I + II).
At least as far as I can tell the Prophet I does not have a dovetail, and I don't see how to mount this part on the two "rail pillars" of the Prophet I. Maybe a photo of just the part would be helpful, and a description how much higher my scope will mount as compared to the OEM rail.👍🏼😊

Matthias
If the Priest, Prophet I + II all have the same rail attachment then they will work. We don't have all of them in house, so it's only tested on the II.
The rail is higher, but giving a measurement won't really mean anything with how it is to be used.
If you want to build in more moa you have to use high profile scope rings like a one piece or no limits. This rail allows you to build moa into the rail and use LOW profile rings so you get the angle you want as low as possible.
So it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison to the OEM height.