• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

RTI Prophet Barrels - Information Thread

To add to this helpful information collection:

➧ Prophet II Compact Performance .25cal
➧➧➧ RPB barrel 😊
510mm (20") long

Unlike the Prophet I Compact with the 400mm (15.75") barrel, the Prophet II Compact does not have much usable shroud between barrel end and shroud end. I suspect that this makes the gun louder....

Matthias
With the 510mm CZ barrel in the compact shroud, there is approximately .75"-1.0" from the end of the barrel to the shroud cap.

The empty air chamber at the end of the 400mm barrel really doesn't offer much if anything in the way of quieting the report. The tiny holes in the barrel aren't large enough to allow much air to pass back into the shroud. The "barrel washer" is more of a barrel centering device.

The image is a part I'm making (from delrin) to replace the stock barrel washer with something that will act like a muzzle brake to redirect the air back into the standard shroud. It will also replace the functionality of the barrel washer to center the barrel..(I hope)

IMG_1509.JPG

That's my fear (that they got something wrong). I personally spoke to Francisco and he assured me the barrel will be a 1:32 twist, which is all I really care about. I am not as concerned about the transfer port. The old one was fine. This is the link he sent me of what he says he shipped:

Francisco said this is the barrel he and Gregor used at EBR 2023. I believe Francisco was shooting Gregors gun, and came in 7th due some technical issues and lack of preparedness.

I'll keep everyone posted-carl
Mate, honestly i think this is close to a scam. 700€for a barrel is too much, especially if we consider that:
1) the very same barrel was sold at about 200€ two years ago
2) changing the transfer port doesn't justify a charge of +500€
3) the same barrel (with old tp) is available at airgunsheaven (Netherlands) for less than half the price
4) shooting JSB MRD .22 @ 920/950ft/s doesn't need a lot of power (50ft/lbs). You can easily reach such speed and power without the fancy tp. Yeah, you will have a less efficient gun, of course. But 700€ is dangerously close to the price of a full Prophet 1 Performance Long Range, nowadays.

I agree the price for a barrel seems extreme. A lot has changed since Covid. The price may be a scam, but the company is not:

Francisco Elizayaga has been around a long time, and like many, not only sells air guns but is a competition shooter. Inflation in Europe may be worse than in the US so I cannot say.

I agree that 4-500 Euros is a lot of money for a new transfer port. It seems all that has been done is to put the transfer port from the newer RPB barrel on the old barrel, but there may be other subtle changes I am not aware of. Perhaps one could do the same thing by buying the old barrels and enlarging the existing transfer port, but I no longer own a lathe or milling machine to do so. The new transfer port may or may not produce a cost-effective benefit. The most important aspect is of course, the 1:32 twist rate.

I do feel if prices continue on the current trajectory, between that and world-wide regulation, our silly hobby will soon be extinct, and if the greed was excessive, manufacturers and dealers will have killed the goose that lays the golden eggs.

I agree the price for a barrel seems extreme. A lot has changed since Covid. The price may be a scam, but the company is not:

Francisco Elizayaga has been around a long time, and like many, not only sells air guns but is a competition shooter. Inflation in Europe may be worse than in the US so I cannot say.

I agree that 4-500 Euros is a lot of money for a new transfer port. It seems all that has been done is to put the transfer port from the newer RPB barrel on the old barrel, but there may be other subtle changes I am not aware of. Perhaps one could do the same thing by buying the old barrels and enlarging the existing transfer port, but I no longer own a lathe or milling machine to do so. The new transfer port may or may not produce a cost-effective benefit. The most important aspect is of course, the 1:32 twist rate.

I do feel if prices continue on the current trajectory, between that and world-wide regulation, our silly hobby will soon be extinct, and if the greed was excessive, manufacturers and dealers will have killed the goose that lays the golden eggs.
You got me wrong, I know Wolfiek group is a great shop. I spent more money with them than what I'm comfortable to admit. But that doesn't change the fact that 700€ is way too much. Especially if we consider that you can buy custom blank barrel from LW for the same price, even with a MOQ of 10pcs.

Reactions: Spinach
This has been a lot of good information guys, I read the LR barrel 22 and 25 at 1:32 trist
The RPB 22 at 1;16 twist and the 25 at 1:20
So far I have not found nothing on the 177 LW 510 mm barrel , Can some one fill me in,
Mike

Hi Mike,

Yes, this info on the LW .177 510mm barrel is directly from the RTI (not RTI shop in Spain) website:

The .177 LW 510mm is 17.7:1 twist rate and choked.

-Ed

IMG_3569.png

OK, That tells me a lot, My Prophet 177 LW 510mm barrel is for pellets, Its chocked and has a Twist rate of 17;7.1 To me that is a big NO for slugs,,, Maybe they RTI will come out with a 600 mm slug barrel..
Mike
I have 2 of the 510mm 177 barrels, one after a good polish gets good results with JSB knockout 13gr.
Now I shoot nothing but 177 slugs.

For the .22 LR RTI barrels (think the LR means 1:32 twist?) Is there a threshold of speed necessary to get accuracy from the .22 Monster RD?

Ie, they're only accurate above a certain speed? Or do results vary?
From 900 to 950 fps is my preferred range. You will find 2-3 nods between, depends your harmonics.

Reactions: Franklink
For the .22 LR RTI barrels (think the LR means 1:32 twist?) Is there a threshold of speed necessary to get accuracy from the .22 Monster RD?

Ie, they're only accurate above a certain speed? Or do results vary?
Yes the LR (“Long Range”) RTI barrels in .22 and .25 have 1:32 twist rate.

The original design intent for the .22 LR barrels was to win long range (50, 75, 100) yard pellet benchrest competitions - with the MRD pellet. I believe Gregor Kamensek did a lot of testing with the .22 barrel and MRDs at speed of 1,050fps with good accuracy at 100 yards (the slow twist maintained stability at this high velocity).

I have only shot the .22 LR (I have both .22 and .25 LR) out to 75 yards. I had good accuracy at 910fps. If/when I try the .22 LR at 100 yards, I might bump the speed up to 960 - as I’ve heard that’s a good speed for MRDs…

…and then there is the new 28g… lots of fun testing to do in 2024 !

Reactions: Franklink
Yes the LR (“Long Range”) RTI barrels in .22 and .25 have 1:32 twist rate.

The original design intent for the .22 LR barrels was to win long range (50, 75, 100) yard pellet benchrest competitions - with the MRD pellet. I believe Gregor Kamensek did a lot of testing with the .22 barrel and MRDs at speed of 1,050fps with good accuracy at 100 yards (the slow twist maintained stability at this high velocity).

I have only shot the .22 LR (I have both .22 and .25 LR) out to 75 yards. I had good accuracy at 910fps. If/when I try the .22 LR at 100 yards, I might bump the speed up to 960 - as I’ve heard that’s a good speed for MRDs…

…and then there is the new 28g… lots of fun testing to do in 2024 !
EPG did you tested the 25 cal LR ? do you think he is mad to shoot only the 34 grain heavy or even the 25 king or polymag ? I think even a polymag with bad bc can be stable with this twistrate ? If you did some testing with the 25 tell me thank you !