RTI Prophet .22

I didn't have much time to play with it today (still haven't shot it) but got a scope on there real late tonight.

1598513693_1159219195f47621d245d59.54764549.jpg

Dug through the random stuff drawers and came up with these UTG offset mounts. Pretty sure they're meant to be used with the offset pointing the other direction but this works (right height, right eye relief, right tube diameter orings, etc) And, yeah, got some color clashing going on here with the gray mounts, red moderator, and black gun, but, we all mostly care about how it shoots so.....it'll do.

So...........the ventral pic rail only has four slots. I'm not a heavy bench shooter, but what little I've done has been with guns that have the ability to have the bipod further forward. I can see why guys attach those pic extensions to get that rail moved up, or even the bottle pic adaptor thingamabobs. If it was my gun, I'd be looking into some sort of extension for the pic rail, but, I'll shoot it as-is and see how it does. Just logical that the further forward those bipod feet end up, the greater stability offered by the set-up. 

Pulled off the moderator to stick it back in that cool little case and the shroud end cap came too........okay, good opportunity to check out the inside.

1598514130_3236987905f4763d20b89f8.36952336.jpg

Quite a few holes in there to allow airflow back into the shroud for sound dampening. 

Also, looks like just a bit over two inches of dead space between the end of the shroud and the end of the barrel.

1598514173_15495546625f4763fd8752c5.90863142.jpg

Went to put the endcap back on and did a double take on the size of the hole. Decided to grab this pic, a JSB 25.4gr Monster RD randomly grabbed from a nearly full tin and set inside the end cap. 

I titled this file "FAITH." Man o man, those RTI guys have some serious confidence that everything is going to line up okay. That is a mighty small hole for what's going on here. VERY little wiggle room to keep that potentially 85fpe pellet from making a real ugly mess out of this aluminum endcap. 

1598514220_17457088485f47642cc71178.34608324.jpg

Also, check out the veritable DIVOT of missing lead from the head of this unfired, straight-from-the-tin pellet. No wonder we're chasing our tails trying to shoot tight groups at 100 yards. 

1598514464_15894022945f476520a671d6.98700172.jpg

Okay, put it back into the case and realized I had to take the bipod off for it to fit. 

1598514564_18519053225f476584c94062.93309617.jpg

Really, I'm not sure why I'm so enthralled with this compact case but I think it is dang cool! Something about the way the bipod and moderator fit inside this little briefcase-sized unassuming hard case remind me of the token clandestine sniper in action movies. He cooly and inconspicously enters the building with leather briefcase in hand, rides the elevator to one of the upper floors, finds an unoccupied room, and opens the case and starts attaching bipods and silencers and scopes, etc. Takes the shot, packs up, nods at the security guards on the way out like he is leaving work for the day. LOL, the case won me over (if that's not clearly evident already). The airgun version of all that imagery would be the prairie dog/ground squirrel/pigeon/woodchuck taking that unexpected pellet of course.

@TMH show us some groups! 

(Busy today and tomorrow but I'm hoping to get to shoot the review gun a bit on Fri/Sat. Will post results as well.)

O.K., was able to shoot some groups this afternoon (25 yards). Weather was about 68 degF, sunny with a very light breeze. Shot off a bipod at the front, and bag at the rear. All shot with the magazine (do these guns even have single shot trays?) My little backyard shooting table setup is pictured below. Scope is a Hawke Vantage 6-24x44. Pellets were JSB Exact Jumbo Heavy Diabolo 18.13 gr, unsorted right out of the tin.

I shot from a full 300 Bar bottle charge down to just over 150 Bar. Chrono numbers (FX Pocket Chronograph) were obtained first. Based on these (and the fact that the gun seemed to calm down a bit towards the last couple of magazines shot), I think that I want to reduce the regulator pressure a bit.

A little about me: I have been shooting for a long time, but have never done any formal precision benchrest shooting before. The near total shooting I've been doing in the last 4 years is Cowboy Action Shooting - a very different discipline. I've been shooting air rifles 'regularly' for about the last 1.5 months or so, since my interest in them was recently re-kindled (D@mn you Steve Scialli). I probably don't have any habits yet (good or bad), nor any real form/consistency. So take my comments below with the fact that they are coming from a raw newbie.

Finally, this is a new-to-me used gun which I have had for about 24 hours, about which I know absolutely none of its history. I haven't even checked/cleaned the barrel yet.

With that overview, I find that the Prophet can shoot well (as far as I am concerned, knowing my current capabilities), but it was difficult for me to do so. I don't find it to be as easy to shoot or as forgiving off the bench as some other rifles I have. If you do all of your part it will reward you. If you don't... well I had some pretty messy groups which I'm not showing!

Chrono numbers over the first 6 shots with a full air tank were: Avg. - 1047, Hi - 1051, Low - 1037, Spread - 16, STD Dev - 5.6

The best groups I was able to obtain (25 yards/5 shot groups) are below.

Nice little rifle. I won't use for benchrest as I have other tools, but with its weight distribution, overall light weight and good power should be good for squirrel control at the range!

1598563444_16526849205f4824744787c8.68413876.jpg

1598563559_14444685945f4824e7e5e353.72897302.JPG
1598563567_14698322865f4824efb96ec9.03075878.JPG
1598563575_3816460205f4824f74d5b36.85291649.JPG
1598563581_20943402055f4824fdceb624.95487537.JPG
1598563589_3376920795f482505423008.93544179.JPG

I'm looking for a PCP that can send 22 cal 25gr RD's at 970-1000 fps so hopefully this Prophet can handle that.

This is that PCP Steve! 

Found some time right before dark to put 5 mags through it (60shots), tuning and testing and recording changes and accuracy as I went. 

4th mag they were all in your 970-1000goal fps area (with the 25.4gr MRDs). AND it doesn't feel like it's maxed or stressed doing it. RTI says 85fpe....going by how the gun feels at 55fpe (and reg and hammer tension available still and generally how harsh it isn't).....yep, entirely doable. 

Got all the shots on paper at 53 yards too so it's pretty informative. 

After everybody is in bed here at my houseIhouse get to work on the report. You'll have some interesting info to read with your breakfast! 

Good write up! I messengered the rti team on Facebook, they gave me the specs on what the rti members are shooting at 100 meters, my reg is at 160-170, hst 3 turns past flush, shooting jsb redesign 25.4 gr, I cant shoot past 70 ish yards, but the prophet shoots fast and groups very well. I don’t have to use much elevation, compared to my .25 leyla. It’s a good bird catcher out at the dairy farm. 
1598590056_14935787665f488c68d42121.33353898.jpeg

First shots (and an impromptu tuning session)

I had a good time with this, and if you're willing to analyze the numbers, hopefully my thought process and logic will be evident in the tuning/decision-making process.

1st Mag (12 shots/mag)

Starting pressure = 280 BAR. JSB 25.4 Monster Redesigns (MRD) with as-received settings (reg = 130 bar)

error

So, about 40fpe

The shots from the first mag, on paper. Shots numbered. First 1 was at 8 yards to make sure I'd hit paper (and I still missed paper at 53 yards on shot #2). Everything else shot tonight was at 53 yards. 

I was cranking on scope turrets to get things about centered in the piece of paper here, so a little busy. Once I started using shot #6 as my aim point, 7-12 grouped in there pretty nice. I was surprised to see them group so well, as the rear of the gun was just floating around and I wasn't very steady. After this first mag I put a bag under the rear of the rest and was much more stable.

1598594818_3614853455f489f02641938.65838596.jpg

at 40fpe with 25.4gr it was very quiet. 

Mag 2

Okay, so it's is too slow for the 25.4s, let's try the JSB 18.1. Settings have still not been touched. 

error

error

Still about 40fpe with these 18.1s, but WAY too fast. The group doesn't look bad, but there were a couple of these that hit high and left (not on the paper). There was still enough light at this point to see that the pellets weren't hitting where the crosshairs were when the trigger broke. Group looks good, but I wasn't impressed with what I was seeing through the scope in regards to pellets hitting where they should have been. TOO FAST for 18.1s.

shots from second mag:

1598595813_844580405f48a2e5cdc158.35348579.jpg

Mag #3

Quick assessment and decided it's too slow for the 25.4s, and too fast for the 18.1s. Concluded on tuning for more POWER from the 25.4s, partly because I want to see how it'll do at long range and also because I was sorta testing out RTI's marketing department (wondering if I was dealing with the "1400fps breakbarrel!" type of marketing)

So, can I really just crank on the reg without screwing something up?.....better do some internet research. Googled something like "RTI Prophet regulator adjust" and one of the first couple hits was a vid by Gregor Kamensek (sp?). I've heard his name before, and one of the AGN members of this discussion even mentioned his name a few posts back. This video of his was very helpful. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdKx4-59VVU

Yep, apparently can crank on the reg without breaking things. So, that's what I did. The AOA rep mentioned in discussion about this gun a week or two ago that 150 bar is a good place to start, so that's where I started. Seriously as easy as Gregor's video-5mm allen key and watch the gauge. It was maybe 1/4 of a full revolution to bump it up from 130-150bar. Let's shoot it and see where we're at.....

(12 from mag with 25.4 MRDs)

error

667.5-that's too low, increaed the hammer tension

735.5-reg took a couple shots to settle in but was still too slow, so more hammer tension

bottle pressure is at 250 bar at this point. 

shots from above 3rd mag

1598596137_20644189505f48a42903fe47.97221906.jpg

Mag #4

Still slower than I'm looking for.....wonder what another 10bar on the reg will do? (reg pressure of 160 at this point)

852.7-too slow, hammer tension in one full revolution

error

error

so now we're talking at about 55fpe

bottle pressure went from 250-210 bar, the biggest decrease in a single mag that I've seen yet-it didn't feel like it was blasting too much extra air, but I don't like that kind of efficiency and will usually trade off energy for more shots

shots from mag #4 (starting to get really dark and hard to see the aim point in the scope at 53 yards.....)

(12 from mag with 25.4 MRDs)

1598596451_14098514295f48a5637a9948.03602896.jpg

hmmm, accuracy isn't bad for a blind guy in the dark such as myself.....

Mag # 5

I didn't like to see that bottle pressure drop so fast so I left the regulator at 160 bar, but backed out the hammer tension 1/2 revolution

Still shooting the MRDs here

I didn't record all of the individual shot's fps on this mag, but they were all in the 950-960fps range

Pressure for these 12 shots went from 210-190 bar

shots from mag #5

1598596735_8682083295f48a67f92d676.79541292.jpg

Thoughts
I think I'll leave it there (950-960 with 25.4gr MRDs) for further testing. In summary, regulator pressure is now at 160. It only used 20 bar for that last magazine and SEEMS much more efficient there (50-52fpe) than it did on mag 4 (55-56fpe). 

Those 60 shots were taken with a starting bottle pressure of 280, and an ending pressure of 190. Should be a pretty decent shot count if settings aren't being messed with. Especially for a gun doing 50fpe. 

Tuning was super simple and super easy. It took a couple shots for things to settle after adjusting, but they settled much more quickly than other adjustable reg guns that I've messed with. Getting the fps where I wanted it and felt good about was easy-peasy, very straight-forward. 

The gun is more accurate than the above pics suggest. I was in very low light conditions and mostly concerned with keeping the gun lined up above the chrono eyes without shooting it. With more focus on groups and better light, I think this gun is going to post up some pretty impressive accuracy results. 

Trigger lacks nothing-zero complaints or even raised eyebrows at it's "feel". It is every bit as good as I hoped for on those first couple pulls the other night. It is actually a little more crisp on the break than an unmolested OEM Veteran trigger. It is VERY good, in my opinion, and based on the guns that I've had the pleasure to shoot. 

The magazine keeps you from closing the bolt on shot 13 (yeah, after the mag is empty). It's nice that it won't let you waste air on a pellet-less barrel. The magazine has a plastic outer casing that kinda feels cheap. The inner cylinder seems like it might be made out of metal (must be aluminum or some other non-ferrous metal cuz zero magnetism). Despite my disparaging remark of the somewhat cheap feel, it's a much better trigger design than many. Easy to load, no pre-winding. Just load and rotate, pressure increasing as you progress to a full magazine. 

That cocking lever on the left side for a right-handed shooter is sweet!!! It will take a little getting used to, and I caught myself looking stupid more than once taking my right hand off the grip and trying to cock the gun with a ghost cocking lever on the right side of the gun. I cranked a couple of those mags off mighty fast, and I could see how tracking and shooting at a running critter (rabbit for example), could be done very smoothly with this gun's left-sided cocking lever. I say that because my right hand/trigger finger were able to stay in place, as well as being able to keep a lock on the target through the scope, while being able to cock with the left hand. QUICK follow up shots, or just generally fast shooting. It would be interesting to see somebody practice a bit with this gun and really rock ole Tomcat's world at the speed silhouettes at EBR. 

More on the cocking lever. After shooting it a bit, it seems more like a hybrid between a bolt-pull and side lever PCP. The geometry doesn't seem to give it quite the same level of mechanical advantage that most true-side levers do. Because the gun seems so solid, I almost wonder if this design of side lever was intentional, in order to avoid the lever sticking wayyyyy out from centerline at the most extreme end of it's swing. I kinda cringe when I see my Vets sidelever wayyyyy out there and think about how bad it would be if that lever took a hit when fully extended. The Prophet side lever simply doesn't go that far out, and therefore should be more solid and less likely to get jacked up if something horrible happened when the lever is at it's apex of the cocking motion. Also, I mentioned earlier that the cocking is smoother than I expected, but it's still not Taipan Veteran smooth, or Brocock Concept XR smooth, and it's damn sure a fair shake rougher to cycle than a Red Wolf. 

Finally, I was really surprised at how the gun doesn't seem to be anywhere near it's max, even at 990-1000fps with the 25.4s. Most airguns don't seem to like being pushed up near their max energy output. Hard cocking, loud report, poor efficiency, and general harshness are the theme of the day when most PCPs are near their limits. Yes the Prophet was less efficient up near 1000fps, but all the rest of the tell-tale signs of a PCP being over worked were not there. I think this gun has A LOT more in it, in terms of energy output, than what I did with it tonight. 

No, I do not think RTI is a "1500fps springer!" type of marketing company. They say 85fpe max on this little Prophet, and although I didn't get that high, as much of a walk in the park as 55fpe felt for it, I don't doubt their claims of 85fpe. 

(One last thing, that crappy "pulse" that makes > 45fpe airguns get a little ornery to shoot wasn't quite as bad with this gun as other .22s in this energy level that I've played with. Yeah physics and all that equal and opposite reaction argument, but a gun's valving and engineering should, theoretically, be able to minimize all that. For example, less wasted air on each shot, perhaps through shorter dwell time, could result in what I seemed to notice this evening. Oh, one last, last thing, the bipod right up near the front of the trigger guard didn't seem so detrimental to stability as I initially thought it would. The Prophet is nice to shoot. Feels like bipod/bench shooting was kinda in mind when the designers at RTI did their thing). 

I don't have anything going on tomorrow, except shooting. So,I'm hoping to have a nice lazy day spending time with the Prophet (and maybe another couple). I'll report how that all goes too.

Thanks for the data. I'm looking forward to running the chrono on some 25.4 gn MRDs when I receive them. My Prophet is the standard model, so reg adjustments are not so simple as on your performance model.

I also like the cocking handle on the left side... but not as much as the cocking paddle on the used Air Arms Galahad I purchased. While I like the Prophet so far, I love the Galahad (and it is really easy to shoot very accurately). The last owner of the Galahad has the trigger set up pretty much as a single stage, breaking just at 1 pound and it is incredibly smooth. Contributes to the easy shooting of that gun.

It is heavier and might not have the power of the Prophet, but I like having choices! I'm waiting on parts for attaching a Pic rail to the underside slot on the Galahad, so I can mount a bipod for bench rest shooting, instead of a couple of bags. Gotta love the rails on the Prophet as it comes from the factory.

Good review as always Cole, looking forward to 100 yard results...

Heres a comment that has nothing to do about the Prophet or your review. And shows how “fickle” airgunners can be. When the pre release of the Daystate Delta Wolf was released, for months all we saw were comments like how much the Delta was a copy in looks of the FX Impact, how Daystate had no imagination, even ads from FX aimed at the Delta Wolf saying “imitation is the sincerest form of flattery”. Fast forward a half a year, and Prophet starts getting attention and reviews. And it looks and functions almost exactly like an FX Impact, even more so than the Delta Wolf. Yet not a single post on AGN about look alike, copy, etc. Odd wouldn’t you say? ;)

Yeah I remember those threads. Guys need to put their money where their mouths are and own both before dropping comments. I owned both and they are nothing alike. Not even close.

Exactly. Just as the Daystate Delta Wolf is nothing like either the Impact or the Prophet. Was just commenting on the “fickle-ness” of some of the members here on AGN in regards to the Impact. It’s actually kinda cute...

Excellent review Franklink! Just as a side note, RTI does not claim the Prophet to be a 85 fpe gun. They have it listed as a 85 joule gun on their website. This would make it a 63 fpe gun. Which is still very impressive for a regulated gun with no shot curve!

That makes so much more sense. When I saw that comment I was kinda skeptical that any production .22 gun could reach 80+ fpe. You’d have to be launching 35 grain+ slugs close to 1000fps to reach that, which seems like a huge stretch for a .22. Like most things in life you got to keep a close eye on the fine print. 

Ahhh. Yes, sounds much more reasonable. I was thinking really heavy slugs to get to that 85fpe. 

They mention 320m/sec with 25.4gr which would be about 1050fps which would be the 62-63fpe that you're talking. 

I may have to max it out, just to see. It did 55fpe with reg pressure of 160.....sure felt like there is more available. I'll find out.