RTI Prophet .22 LR with .177 barrel - initial results

At lunch today I thought I would install the .177 barrel kit on my Prophet .22 LR.

The .177 barrel is the 510mm “standard” Lothar Walthar barrel that I purchased from the rtiarms.shop in Spain (I purchased the barrel “kit” which includes a pellet probe, end cap, barrel and barrel removal tool. (The .22 LR barrel is a proprietary to RTI barrel from LW)

I swapped the barrel in less than 3 minutes (I set a timer on my phone). It was outrageously simple!!

I was hesitant to do the swap, as I had recently gotten the hammer spring and regulator dialed perfectly for JSB 18.13 - and it was shooting very tight groups at 50 yards. Since the primary purpose of the .177 was plinking with cheaper pellets, I told myself that I would NOT change the hammer spring and reg settings - that I would find a .177 pellet that it shoots reasonably well at the current settings.

Before I did the barrel swap, I set up a pizza box at 20 yards and shot two JSB 18.13s - they went through the same hole. I then took the Prophet out of the Caldwell shooting turret and left it and the pizza box as they were. I didn’t have any idea where the .177s would go, so I figured after the barrel swap, I’d drop the gun back into the turret and shoot at the same spot on the pizza box.

After the barrel swap, I shot 2 Crosman 10.5g Ultra Domes at the pizza box - they hit within an inch of the .22 shots - so I said what the heck and moved to my regular 45 yard target.

This is the 1st two groups shot with the .177 barrel. I chronoed it and surprisingly, It shoots the Crosman 10.5g at almost EXACTLY the same speed as the JSB 18.13s (of course the transfer port in the .177 barrel is smaller than the transfer port in the .22 LR barrel). The speed is 912-919 fps.

Group 1 I was still making scope adjustments during the 10 shots. Group 2 I made no scope adjustments. Holy Smokes - why bother with JSB .177 pellets?! This is exactly what I hoped for - it shoots cheap (real cheap in this case) .177 pellets very accurately at 45 yards and I don’t have to re-tune the rifle when swapping barrels - AWESOME !!

I’d HIGHLY recommend the RTI Prophet for anyone who wants a single gun, multi-caliber setup. This thing makes swapping calibers so easy - and I didn’t have to mess with my .22 tune to enjoy .177.

07753726-C054-4C40-96AC-5C58A5E73F93.1654540965.jpeg

Nice shooting there! Do you use the same shroud from the 22 barrel?

Yep. You never take the shroud off. You undo one grub screw on top of breech, take off shroud end-cap, insert barrel removal tool and screw onto end of barrel and pull it out. I didn’t even bother to switch end shroud end cap to the .177 end cap, I kept the .22 end cap on. The .22 LR barrel is 600mm long. The .177 is 510mm. They both easily fit into the shroud. When they start selling the Prophet II barrels (the .22 and .25 proprietary barrels for the Prophet II have a faster twist rate and reduced choke for slug shooting) I may pick one up - as it is so easy to swap.

I have owned Daystate, Weihrauch, FX “high end” PCPs - these RTI guns are by far the easiest to swap calibers. Super accurate, solid and compact too. Nice easily adjustable triggers - adjustments for trigger via Allen key on SIDE of gun - you can adjust trigger without even taking it off your shooting rest. It’s like someone who shoots every day designed this rifle.