• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Tuning RTI Prophet .22 accuracy issues.

I am at a loss with this gun. I’m in no way new to the hobby I own about 15 nice pcp rifles and have found the right projectile and tune to get most of them dime size groups at 35 yards. Several of them some hole in hole every shot (impact m3, lcs sk19, hatson factor, avenger) but this gun I’m just loss. I feel like I wasted $2000 I have easily tried 20 different pellets and slugs light and heavy tried multiple scopes not even my ATN would get a zero. I have tuned it for every projectile I’ve tried it with and without moderator and I’m ready to give up. Best I can get at 20 yards it about an 8 inch group it’s like every shots a flier. Can it be a bad barrel maybe I’ve never experienced anything like this and I’ve been shooting for 40 years. I’ve got hours and hours with this gun can’t figure it out can anyone think of anything I’m missing?

For starters what are your reg and hammer settings?

Which pellets/weight?

In all honesty I haven't found a pellet it won't shoot great. Slugs not so great. 

Right now I have reg set at 150, hammer spring in 1 1/2 turns from flush, shooting redesigns at about 965 fps, pellet on pellet at 45 yards. 
I get the same accuracy with Baracuda's and Baracuda Hunters but since they are lighter they shoot much faster at this setting and are LOUD. 

I’ve tried a wide range to find that sweet spot but it’s just not to be found my best results were with 24.8 grain Nielsen’s at 980fps reg at 150 and Gamo Redfire Pellets reg 150 at 850fps with those two I can hit an orange at 20 feet 3 out of 5 shots. This thing is shooting like a gun that’s clipping a moderator I’m very close to buying a new barrel my local shop has them at $99. I really don’t think it’s the tune Ive ran up and down the numbers none of it seems to matter. I pushed a slug down the barrel today to see how the twist marks looked on the slug and had no marks on barrel at all that was strange I thought.

I own a prophet and it shoots fine , I have had many pcp guns which shot horrible due to bad crowns , bent barrels or problems with regs not working properly and also clipping where the pellet hits the moderator making it shoot horrible

Me I would first single load pellets make sure it is not the magisine not working and damaging pellets ,

then I would shoot 1 mag worth monitoring speed make sure fps are normal not one 800 and one 600 then one 860 , so if they all close or with in 25fps this isnt issue ,Next thing I would do is loosen allen screw on top of breech block and remove the end cap for moderator slip out barrel ,

then make sure it is not bent roll it on a flat surface , if it is good look closley at crown maybe it is really messed up like it was dropped on it or something , if this looks ok then push threw a half dozen pellets with cleaning rod they should be like 5 pounds pressure from breech to choke then a bit harder to push threw choke and look to see if any deformed , only thing can be wrong if no clipping and lead is in moderator tube and rest of stuff I mentioned is when they drilled transfer port hole medal is extending into barrel mangling pellets when loaded ,

Let me know findings ,

LOU

Okay I finally found the right ammo! So I went and purchased some slugs today at my local shop ZAN Brand, nielson sample pack and a tin of H&N Howlers plus an order from Utah airguns came today with JSB Jumbo monster redesigns some poly mags an a new rifle (RAW HM1000x chassis (.357)

The ZAN slugs all over the place maybe 12” group at 50 yards no matter how I tune it but the Howlers did much better not great but way better maybe a group the size of a 50 cent piece. Polymags did great a dime size group at 50 yard the nielson 24.8 grain gave me a dime size group as well yay! but the JSB jumbo monster redesign at 50 yards I could not believe it 16 shots through the same hole I am so pleased. So after $300 in pellets and slugs (23 different ones) I’ve found the pellet this gun loves same hole over and over again as well as a few other pellets and a slug that does good also it’s amazing after how bad some of these have done.I’ve never had to spend so much time with a gun to get it set up and shooting good but it was well worth it with how accurate the monsters shoot. The problem was everyone was out of JSB brand pellets so I tried everything else first when I usually try JSB first.
Regulator is set to 160 at 900fps seems to be the best tune for all the good shooting ammo.