RTI Prophet 2 issues

Yesterday while I was trying to tune my 177 Prophet 2 I ran into an issue. Everything was going great, took a shot and started dumping air out the barrel. This had happened the first day I got it but was able to get it to stop by taking a couple shots. Not this time, dumped all its air! I did contact RTI the first time this happened and they sent me out a new valve just in case. I haven't received yet but was wondering if anything else could be the issue? I know this stuff happens but kinda sucks on a new rifle with less then a tin of pellets through it... I do have to say RTI got back to me very quickly, great customer service! Any advice would be appreciated! Thx

Sounds like the assisted-valve, aka ~ balanced-valve, has a leak. These system are a bit more complex and have added seal points. I would contact your dealer or RTI and get a new assisted-valve coming.

RTI is sending me one. I called Tony over at Talon Tunes to make sure if I changed it out myself it wouldn't void any warranty through him, he said I could do the work myself and he would back me on it! Thanks Tony! Looked at a video on it and doesn't seem that hard to do.

Yesterday received my valve from RTI. It looks a little different than the original. I installed it this morning and wished I'd have taken a picture of them side by side. I've attached a pic of the old one. The new one didn't have the step down on the fat end. Also didn't have the silver ring it was black. Super bad weather today so won't be able to test yet. I did fill with air and at least it didn't come rushing out! RTI also sent a new reg, a patch and keychain. It took me about 1hr but if I were to do again could do much faster. Will let you guys know how it turns out once I can get to shooting!!!

1677093965539539418339.jpg

Was able to put a few rounds through it this afternoon. Looks like its working much better than before! When the valve broke I was at 130bar shooting Zan 13gr at 940fps. Replaced the valve and set the hammer back to where it was before. With any particular reg pressure I back the hammer off slowly until the hammer is to light to fire the gun then turn in 1/2 turn. It seems most of the adjustment is off the reg pressure. With the new valve 1010 fps at 130bar. Backed reg to 120bar and shooting at 980fps. I ran out of time so that's where I left it for now but hopefully will get more trigger time this weekend!

Reactions: jmohme
That is a very different way to adjust the hammer spring for the regulator setting than I have heard before - or what I use. I don't think my guns could be adjusted to a hammer spring setting that would not open the valve. I either increase or decrease the hammer spring tension until I reach the point that the velocity is unaffected. Normally I am increasing it until the velocity stops increasing. But if I decrease the reg I may decrease the HS until velocity starts to go down. I then test going up or down 1/2 turn in 1/4 turn increments to see if it makes a difference on accuracy. On my Avenger it did but on my 3 P35s it has not. In the case of the P35s I left them slightly below the point of peak velocity (hoping for a little higher efficiency). My P35-25 gave me lower velocity on the first shot when the hammer spring was well below the point of peak velocity for that reg setting. I could not decrease the P35-177 HS tension to the point where the velocity went down until I shortened the spring a little. My guns seem to have plenty of HS available for the reg settings I'm using.

That is a very different way to adjust the hammer spring for the regulator setting than I have heard before - or what I use. I don't think my guns could be adjusted to a hammer spring setting that would not open the valve. I either increase or decrease the hammer spring tension until I reach the point that the velocity is unaffected. Normally I am increasing it until the velocity stops increasing. But if I decrease the reg I may decrease the HS until velocity starts to go down. I then test going up or down 1/2 turn in 1/4 turn increments to see if it makes a difference on accuracy. On my Avenger it did but on my 3 P35s it has not. In the case of the P35s I left them slightly below the point of peak velocity (hoping for a little higher efficiency). My P35-25 gave me lower velocity on the first shot when the hammer spring was well below the point of peak velocity for that reg setting. I could not decrease the P35-177 HS tension to the point where the velocity went down until I shortened the spring a little. My guns seem to have plenty of HS available for the reg settings I'm using.

JimD
It is a very different way of tunning then any of my other rifles. With this new valve from RTI I've found the hammer has very little adjustment on the FPS. Most of the FPS adjustment is made by increasing or decreasing the reg. I'm just using the hammer adjustment to hit the valve hard enough to open but not so hard so I'm not wasting air. I'm pretty new with this new valve so I'm still learning it myself!

Reactions: JimD
Well it happened again!!!! I've put a couple hundred pellets/slugs through my P2 since I replaced my valve a few months back. Today tuning for some .177 Zan 20gr. Took a shot and again air dumping out the barrel. Fired a couple more shots while the pressure was still safe to do so hoping it would stop but no luck 😣 Sent an email to RTI this evening. Last time they replied quickly and sent out a new valve. Thankfully Mont "Mrshosted" had sent me a valve about a month ago as a backup just in case. Will let you all know how RTI responds. I hope this isn't going to be a regular maintenance issue! Has anyone else gone through a few valves on there P2 in such a short time frame???

"Has anyone else gone through a few valves on there P2 in such a short time frame???"

A buddy now on his third valve got only a couple dozen shots through his brand-new .22 Prophet before the valve failed. RTI sent him an improved valve that lasted a couple hundred shots before failing. So they sent him a Gen 3 valve.

He then decided to abandon slugs, reduce power, and shoot 18.1 JSB pellets slower and SPARINGLY; keeping his fingers crossed that the Gen 3 valve holds up more than a couple dozen or hundred shots. He's become quite gun-shy about shooting it, but is too honest to try to sell it.

Gen 3 valves are reportedly more dependable.

Last edited:
"Has anyone else gone through a few valves on there P2 in such a short time frame???"

A buddy now on his third valve got only a couple dozen shots through his brand-new .22 Prophet before the valve failed. RTI sent him and improved valve that lasted a couple hundred shots before failing. So they sent him a Gen 3 valve.

He then decided to abandon slugs, reduce power, and shoot 18.1 JSB pellets slower and SPARINGLY; keeping his fingers crossed that the Gen 3 valve holds up more than a couple dozen or hundred shots. He's become quite gun-shy about shooting it, but is too honest to try to sell it.

Gen 3 valves are reportedly more dependable.

Mine in in .177 and was shooting 20gr Zan slugs around 920fps. Its not maxed out but not a light tune either. I have it specifically for slugs so I hope I can get this valve thing sorted. When I disassemble the gun I will post a pic of the valve I remove.

Reactions: Spinach