RTI RTI Prophet 177 shooters would you buy

I have ask RTI why they do not offer a 600mm RPB long range 177 barrel, And to all the RTI fans that shoot the 177 would you buy a barrel that was made to shoot a 177 pellet well over 100 yards at very fast speeds? You can be sure I would be 1st in line as I am a big fan of the 177 caliber pellet,
Mike

For my use I would say no to a 600mm barrel. I like keeping my prophet compact rifle compact.. so the 500mm is perfect. I have a prophet but the 22lr barrel on it is freaking amazing and the only time I remove it is to clean it

Well Jasonmc,

I agree about not increasing the length, but as you know a 600mm .177 would fit under the stock Prophet Performance shroud - same as our .22 LR barrels do.

I suggested the 600mm .177 barrel with light to no choke - as it would be a good setup for trying.177 slugs.

I really don’t have a lot of interest in slugs - with the exception of .177 - for some reason shooting little 10 and 13 grain “bullets” out to 100 yards has grabbed my interest. Otherwise, I’m all about pellets and would use powder burners for non drag stabilized projectiles.

Well Jasonmc,

I agree about not increasing the length, but as you know a 600mm .177 would fit under the stock Prophet Performance shroud - same as our .22 LR barrels do.

I suggested the 600mm .177 barrel with light to no choke - as it would be a good setup for trying.177 slugs.

I really don’t have a lot of interest in slugs - with the exception of .177 - for some reason shooting little 10 and 13 grain “bullets” out to 100 yards has grabbed my interest. Otherwise, I’m all about pellets and would use powder burners for non drag stabilized projectiles.
I have or rather had a 22 set up shooting slugs. Slugs shot great but in 22 didn't wind my watch. I went back to pellets... My prophet compact ( 177, 500mm barrel) is set up shooting 13gr zan slugs. And to be honest... I don't ever want to shot a 177 pellet from it ever again 😁. 177 slugs make it an altogether new animal. My main use for it is popping starlings and squirrel hunting...boy is those 177 slugs proving to be all that...I'm mainly a 22 guy. So I'm quite impressed with 177 slugs..

I have or rather had a 22 set up shooting slugs. Slugs shot great but in 22 didn't wind my watch. I went back to pellets... My prophet compact ( 177, 500mm barrel) is set up shooting 13gr zan slugs. And to be honest... I don't ever want to shot a 177 pellet from it ever again 😁. 177 slugs make it an altogether new animal. My main use for it is popping starlings and squirrel hunting...boy is those 177 slugs proving to be all that...I'm mainly a 22 guy. So I'm quite impressed with 177 slugs..

Hi Jason,

Is it a .177 LW barrel (my .177 Prophet barrel is 510mm LW) in your Prophet Compact?

I may give slugs a try with my .177 LW 510mm barrel…

-Ed

Now I am not a slug person , I thought the new RP barrel was supposed to be a pellet/Slug barrel, They don't offer it in 177, I have some 177 slugs just never shot them are tried to shoot them, Looks like I have some NSA 12.5gr and some NSA 15 gr and a tin of knockouts in 13.4 gr , Forgot I had them Brain/Fart. 99 % of my shooting is at 48 yards , Guess I am going to try them, But I would prefer the right tool for the job, A 177 slug barrel, I had it out today testing and shooting the JSB 10.34gr and I was shooting pellet hols at 48 yards, No fly's out today, I expect that from all the guns I shoot.
What speed are you shooting the slugs,

Hi Jason,

Is it a .177 LW barrel (my .177 Prophet barrel is 510mm LW) in your Prophet Compact?

I may give slugs a try with my .177 LW 510mm barrel…

-Ed
Yep...that's the barrel.. I bought it used from a forum member. After receiving the barrel I gave it a good cleaning and pushed a slug through the barrel...it had a couple of tight places (more like snug...not bad really) I polished the barrel to help those areas out.. once i found the tune and the slug it liked... It's been a great preformer ever since..

Last edited:
Now I am not a slug person , I thought the new RP barrel was supposed to be a pellet/Slug barrel, They don't offer it in 177, I have some 177 slugs just never shot them are tried to shoot them, Looks like I have some NSA 12.5gr and some NSA 15 gr and a tin of knockouts in 13.4 gr , Forgot I had them Brain/Fart. 99 % of my shooting is at 48 yards , Guess I am going to try them, But I would prefer the right tool for the job, A 177 slug barrel, I had it out today testing and shooting the JSB 10.34gr and I was shooting pellet hols at 48 yards, No fly's out today, I expect that from all the guns I shoot.
What speed are you shooting the slugs,
I have a fixed reg set at 125bar... I removed the aluminum hammer spring spacer... I have it shooting 930fps... It can push them over a 1000fps... But it shoots and sounds best at 930. Mine did not like the NSA slugs...none of them. 13gr zan or knockouts shoot the best for me... giving the edge to the zan slugs.. give your slugs a try. You never know until you try. Your barrel may like them... I did polish my barrel though. I'm don't know how well it helped because I done it before even trying slugs...I know it did hurt to do it.. one thing is for sure It was very sensitive to adjustments. A little went a long way... That's is my experience with mine anyway..

I have ask RTI why they do not offer a 600mm RPB long range 177 barrel, And to all the RTI fans that shoot the 177 would you buy a barrel that was made to shoot a 177 pellet well over 100 yards at very fast speeds? You can be sure I would be 1st in line as I am a big fan of the 177 caliber pellet,
Mike

I asked RTI arms in august 2022 the very same question.

For me the 51cm barrel is a dealbreaker. From +60cm and I am in.

Reactions: airgunmike56
I would like the 600mm long range 177 barrel, I think its got a slower twist rate, Not 100 % sure on the twist rate. I tried the knock out 10 gr slugs keeped failing out of the magazine a real pain to shoot, Tried the NSA 12.5 gr fit loose and no accuracy , Next up the NSA 15 gr run the FPS up to about 900 FPS and I would be a 900 then next shot a 810 FPS, next shoot would be 899 then 780 FPS , The high FPS would hit pretty dead on but the low FPS would be a few inch's off and not a group?????Found the new ORION magazine works great with slugs just got to cold to stay out and work on the groups, I was using the CARM mags until i remembered I had a new Orion mag its a slug mag for sure..
I think I am going to try and make this Standerd Prophet P-1 gun my 177 Slug gun its got the power to easy shoot any weight 177 pellet over 1000 FPS, My Vulcan and Uragan will remain my 177 pellet guns . Just going to take a lot of testing and tuning and slugs...
Mike

I could be tempted by a longer RTI .177 barrel.
IMHO it's not likely to happen. Unless I buy and machine one to fit.
So far I have a 510mm RTI LW barrel shooting Zan and JSB slugs excellent, accurate to well over 130 yards. Never felt the need to push it further.
But as always, the mind constantly clicks.😉

The LW slug barrel has been subjected to some serious polishing, almost no choke.
I'm happy with it, though at one stage I thought it was ruined. Bit heavy with the drill and mops.

10 or so slugs and it had me smiling. Tack driver.

My second LW .177 is kept for pellet.shooting, it's had a basic polish.

RTI in my opinion simply have the .177 as a option to cater to a wider audience. Nothing more, nothing worth investing in.

The bigger bucks are with other calibre rifles.

Enjoy a .177, affordable and highly satisfying calibre with untapped potential.