RTI Priest II : Any experience / opinions about it.

Vetmx, I think you hit the nail right on the head! I am the kind of person that over-analyzes everything. And my experience looking for the "perfect" gun has lead me to the conclusion that a perfect gun does not exist. They all have their pros and cons... I have many powder burners and they are the same way. Anyway, I did order the Priest 2 in .22 cal last night from Airguns of Arizona. One of the reps called me this morning and said they do not have the black standard version that I ordered in stock but was very nice and offered me the brown cerakote version for no extra cost or $100 off the loaded model. I do not care for the look of the brown version and wanted to keep it simple so I told him that I was willing to wait for the standard version to arrive in stock. So unfortunately I have to wait about three weeks for it to arrive. They were nice and gave me an extra magazine. So now the waiting game begins... What is the $25 baffle mod that you mentioned? I was under the impression that you just "burrowed the baffles from a marauder.

I was shooting tonight at 50 and 100yrds. I wasn’t completely thrilled with the guns groups. They were never one ragged hole at 35 and 50 so at 100 it would put some in and then wonder around. I switched back to 33gr pellets and things were just a little more consistent. Shot some 20gr pellets and it was bad. Decided to back the gun down from around 940fps to 911fps. Big big difference. The gun was too hot. The blue crosses were my aiming points. I was aiming between the 2 holes on the left and for the prominent hole on the right. I forgot my orange stickies when I walked out to 100 but had a sharpie. They are both 5 shot groups. The one on the left was above 150b. I clicked my scope a little too far for the group on the right and was dangerously close to dropping off the reg. The moral of this story is if your gun isn’t shooting as good as you think it should, back it down. I don’t have an adjustable spring so I just spaced the butt plate 2.85mm.
1567834450_7482162595d734152272dd3.22471233_2668C9AE-6260-4FD9-A15D-77C956C98A3D.jpeg

Vetmx, That is impressive! I have a sneaking suspicion that I may have to tune mine down also as Gregor was getting around 35 fpe out of the .22, which would put most of the lighter pellets shooting pretty hot. I ordered a tin of 15.89 jsb hades and a tin of jsb 18.13's with the gun, so we shall see what happens. I also ordered the marauder gen 2 baffles. I may have to seek your advice on turning the gun down if I run into the same issues you had. But definitely nice shooting! It is quite assuring.

The reg does creep after the gun sits but not real bad. I went over the gun scrutinizing everything. I pushed pellets through the barrel to see if I had a leade or crown issue. The only thing that’s left is pellets. I opened a new tin for this gun so maybe it’s a bad tin. I ordered more but when I get a chance I am going to weigh and check the ones left in that tin. I will say when I pushed pellets down the barrel, this gun has a fairly long tight choke. The pellets showed definitive rifling on the head and skirt.

I had no time for airguns over the last week. I did get new pellets and sorted some. They had the same spread in weight as the batch I was shooting. I am going to have a go with the gun next week and try to get it dialed in. Hopefully you get yours soon. I also had to build a baffle out of Delrin on my lathe. The first Marauder baffle had the cone blown off when I took the gun apart. I had 2 shots that I experienced blowback around the pellet probe. Its happened about 5 times since I owned the gun and its loud and right by your ear. When that happens, the pellet never even hits the target. Not sure if that or just the muzzle blast and cheap plastic caused the baffle damage. The Delrin one I made is stout and shouldn't fail if it was just air causing it. I took the side plate off the gun and cleaned then lubed the block that locks the pellet probe forward. I haven't experienced the ear blasting blowback since.

Vetmx, Interesting. I received the Marauder baffles last weekend. So yeah, I am hoping to hear something from AOA next week that they have received their shipment and that it is on its way to my house. The baffles I received look like they are more than likely 3D printed. So I may have some durability issues you are having. I would think (and hope) that the blowback you are experiencing is from the baffle damage and not some other issue. I guess we will see if the block cleaning and you newly crafted baffles does the trick for you. 

The only advice I can give right now for when you receive your gun is:

Make sure you close the bolt firmly. If you still get blasted in the ear. Take the left side plate off the gun and clean the probe locking cam.

If you are going to be using a bipod, get a picatinny rail riser/extender. The bipod right at the balance point of the gun is like standing one legged on a fence post.

Get the highest scope rings you can find. The good news is the scope will still be closer to the bore axis than any other bullpup made.

Put something on the butt plate for traction. Its a slippery sucker and doesn't like to stay put in your shoulder. For now I am using adhesive backed felt until I get another idea.

If you need to slow yours down, I will send you the spacer I made. Its good for -25fps and had nothing but positive effects on the gun.

Vetmx, Thanks so much for the advice. You have been so helpful. What do you recommend for cleaning air rifles? I need to get something but I know with airguns you don't want to damage any seals. 

I ordered some Hawke low mounts about a month ago because I like scopes to sit as low as possible. So we will see how that works out. If I have have to get another set it is no big deal.

I definitely plan on doing something with the butt plate. I saw a video where a guy welded a nut on the inside of the butt plate and used a bolt with a piece of rubber glued to it for adjustable elevation while using it with a bipod. I may try to shape a butt pad out of wood and coat it with black bedliner. I will eventually get a bipod and picatinny rail extender also, but right now its baby steps.

Yeah I will have to see what kind of accuracy I am getting. If it looks like it needs to be slowed down I may take you up on your offer.

I build compound bows, also known as frankenbows, so I have a ton of bow strings. They have nice loops on each end and are great for pulling patches through an airgun barrel. Popular airgun solvents are Ballistol and Otis CLP and they work well. I always start off with Butch’s bore shine on my first patch or two on a new or really dirty gun. It’s a firearm solvent and the real deal. It doesn’t serve any other purpose except cleaning. The key to not damaging a gun is you don’t want your patch dripping with solvent. I just put the patch on top of the bottle and turn it upside down. Then when the patch has a wet spot I ball it up into a tight ball. Now I have a damp patch, evenly covered with solvent that doesn’t have excess solvent. I always finish up with a patch or two of Break Free Powder Blast. This stuff is almost like automotive brake cleaner. Most solvents leave a residue behind because metal is porous. The Break Free leaves the bore free of any residue that could mess with accuracy. It may not be necessary but I am a long range firearm guy and I just like to start out with an absolutely clean barrel. An absolutely clean barrel is the easiest thing to duplicate when you start testing. Especially in an airgun. You are not dealing with copper and fire. As far as using low scope mounts on a Priest. Possible but probably not comfortable. You might wind up with an unnatural way of holding your head that’s going to mess with consistency and accuracy.