• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

RTI Performance ( the longer one - not the compact ) .22 RPB Barrel - "Survey"

Hi guys . . . I have a prophet performance 1 - the 1st gen that came with the .22 lr slow twist rate barrel - specifically made to shoot pellets.

I just purchased one of the new RPB barrel's that now ship with all of the newer model prophet 2 performance's.

Wondering and hoping that maybe . . . RTI's (Lothar Walther's) mfg process has some consistency . . . maybe?

Those of you that have this barrel and are indeed using it to shoot slugs - what have you found that it likes?

.216? .2165? .217? .218's?

I'm going to push some through it when it shows up to see if I can get an idea but just wondering if I might get a 'real world feel' from you guys what you've found with yours. Answers could obviously be all over the place - say 10 of you answer and 2 like .216's, 3 like .218's, 4 found .217's to be best and 1 of you bagged it and just went back to pellets. ( lol )

*OR*

Maybe 8 out of 10 of you will say .217's ( or whatever ). <-- That's what I'm kind of hoping for - something indicating consistency in the mfg process and someplace to get a good starting point to start testing with. It's supposed to be here next week.

Thanks guys . . .

-=- jd -=-

Reactions: JungleShooter
Hi guys . . . I have a prophet performance 1 - the 1st gen that came with the .22 lr slow twist rate barrel - specifically made to shoot pellets.

I just purchased one of the new RPB barrel's that now ship with all of the newer model prophet 2 performance's.

Wondering and hoping that maybe . . . RTI's (Lothar Walther's) mfg process has some consistency . . . maybe?

Those of you that have this barrel and are indeed using it to shoot slugs - what have you found that it likes?

I'm going to push some through it when it shows up to see if I can get an idea but just wondering if I might get a 'real world feel' from you guys what you've found with yours. Answers could obviously be all over the place - say 10 of you answer and 2 like .216's, 3 like .218's, 4 found .217's to be best and 1 of you bagged it and just went back to pellets. ( lol )

*OR*

Maybe 8 out of 10 of you will say .217's ( or whatever ). <-- That's what I'm kind of hoping for - something indicating consistency in the mfg process and someplace to get a good starting point to start testing with. It's supposed to be here next week.

Thanks guys . . .

-=- jd -=-
Unfortunately man I am not much help. I have not shot the mrds out my prophet 1. The pellets shoot so good I just never seen the need for the slugs out of it.

Altaros smooth is what shoots best out of mine. Tested many different slugs out to 100 yards. Altaros is the only one I can get to group decent at that range.

Apollos shoot amazing out to 50 yards. Beats everything. But they wont hold accuracy much further. May have to test them again and try smaller velocity imcrements.

Waiting on jsb knockouts to arrive and do some testing with.

A shooting buddy has a 22 RPB on his V1 prophet. Shoots 23gr .217 nsa slugs pretty good. I think he had to high of expectations for it though and feels a bit disappointed as the RPB barrel doesn't shoot better groups than his original 25 barrel that came originally on his V1..
it definitely doesn't shoot better than my V1 with the 22lr barrel. All groups are tested from 50 to a 100 on a low to no wind day.
I keep telling him give the RPB barrel a chance. I'm betting it will shoot better as it breaks in and will definitely do better on a windy shooting day..

Reactions: jdanvers
The best " short range " results i have gotten to this point is with the FX Hybrids 22gr.

The group below is a 5 shot group at 33 yards using those slugs.

I have tried Many others, Howler .217 20.2, Zan .218 23, Zan .218 25.5, H&N Slug HP .217 21gr, H&N Slug HP .217 23gr, AVS .216 20.2gr, Avs .2165 17.5gr
as you can see i covered the Gamit in lighter slugs, some were much worse than others.

The gun shoots the 25.39 RD a hair better than the FX Hybrids, and i do Not have to touch the regulator or hammer spring swapping between them, just 2 clicks on the scope elevation knob.

Needless to say I Really like this gun!

IMG_0696.jpg

The Gun responsible
RTI Prophet 2 Performance Tuned by Francisco 2.0 Edition (RPB Select Barrel)

70076620080__D1DF0EF1-84F1-41B3-904B-5A0705A04F88.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: jdanvers
I've been playing a little here & there weather and time permitting. Just yesterday I stumbled on a slug that surprised me and will be getting tested further - .217 H&N 27g. I've no idea how fast they were flying - the last "measured" testing I had done was with 25.39 .216 KO's and they were cookin' @975'ish. At 50 yds they were good - not great - but not bad either - some fine tuning and tweaking - they might tighten up. Or not. I had this unopened tin of the H&N's sitting upstairs and figured - "What the hell . . . give 'em a go." And go they did - they grouped ~really~ well for 1 1/2 mags when suddenly they started wandering. I was coming off reg. It's only 35* today and our neighbors to the north (Canada) are generously sharing a stiff wind with us making it feel much colder. I ain't going out there to do any testing today . . . unless the wind eases up later in the afternoon. :)

*OR*

Thanks guys . . .

-=- jd -=-
Mine likes the .2175's.

Still trying to figure this thing out ( slug rabbit hole - yeah I know ). I see the results you guys are getting with lighter slugs . . . I kinda wanted to shoot heavier ones - buck the wind, better bc, etc . . . but whatever at this point. 4th and long - punt. ( lol ) I dropped the reg down to about 125 and even put a different scope and rings on it as I hadn't been digging the one I had been using. Me and Molly the dog went out to the range with only an hour or so to kill before it got dark - first thing with different scope - see if I can hit the side of a barn. Get speed first - I figured I'd start out with 21g H&N pellets and get them up to 900'ish. I attached my fx chrony and after 5 or 6 shots -- 915 - close enough. Now to find the barn. "Barn" @30 yds ( big piece of cardboard ) - 7 or 8 shots later - pretty much pellet on pellet. ( Soooooooooo easy to tune for pellets . . . aiy . . . lol ) Now that I can hit the barn - lets try some slugs - start out with the trusty H&N .217 23's that my Taipan Vet (long) likes. The Taipan ~loves~ those things at 923'ish. A couple 2 or 3 more shots over the chrony and adjust hammer spring just a little - 928 - close enough. Send 'em. Not bad for essentially zero tune. I ran out of light - more testing to come. H&N makes a 25g slug I think - have to look - I might grab a tin or two of those - one in .217 and .218. These 23's look promising - if not a little on the light side.

22rti_23g_hn_testing1.jpg

22rti_23g_hn_testing2.jpg

22rti_23g_hn_testing3.jpg

RPB-1 .22 is a 1:16 with (super) light choke and a .217 bore (± factory consistency).
This twist rate works best with 35-40gr projectiles, from ~950 to 1050ish fps.

RPB-1 .25 is a 1:20, same choke. 50gr is a good weight to start with (Altaros Smooth .25 for example).

View attachment 357277
Interesting.
Have you actually tried these weights etc?
Standard prophet 2? Or even just the RPB, genuinely interested.

Interesting.
Have you actually tried these weights etc?
Standard prophet 2? Or even just the RPB, genuinely interested.
I have a .22 RPB-1 barrel in my Prophet 1 Performance. I polished it so i can confirm the light choke. I only shoot .22 Monst. Red. 25.39 through it, but it works really good.
I have to remember a 1:16 barrel cannot stabilise an heavy pellet @ super high speed, cause they are drag stabilized, and 1:16 is quite a fast twist rate for them. I saw that cause i also have the RTI .22 Long Range barrel 1:32 and with it, I can shoot the same pellet a little bit faster.

I have a .22 RPB-1 barrel in my Prophet 1 Performance. I polished it so i can confirm the light choke. I only shoot .22 Monst. Red. 25.39 through it, but it works really good.
I have to remember a 1:16 barrel cannot stabilise an heavy pellet @ super high speed, cause they are drag stabilized, and 1:16 is quite a fast twist rate for them. I saw that cause i also have the RTI .22 Long Range barrel 1:32 and with it, I can shoot the same pellet a little bit faster.
Understood 👍. So it was a hypothetical statement.
The speed you mentioned seemed excessive for the RPB, had me thinking 🤔, for those weights and speeds I guess a extra plenum would be needed. Not that I'm looking too try.

I have the RPB and the LR barrel, both in .22.
Both shooting monster redesigned ok. Pity the latest redesigned aren't so good batches.

So am looking for other alternatives.

Understood 👍. So it was a hypothetical statement.
The speed you mentioned seemed excessive for the RPB, had me thinking 🤔, for those weights and speeds I guess a extra plenum would be needed. Not that I'm looking too try.

I have the RPB and the LR barrel, both in .22.
Both shooting monster redesigned ok. Pity the latest redesigned aren't so good batches.

So am looking for other alternatives.
My speed ranges are (.22 Monst. Red.):
RPB-1 920-940 fps
LR Barrel: 950-975

I also have a mold to swage some sort of Monst. Red. clones with larger diameter (5.55mm head, 5.75mm skirt), and they can fly way faster in the 1:32 (950 to 1050)

Reactions: Spinach
My speed ranges are (.22 Monst. Red.):
RPB-1 920-940 fps
LR Barrel: 950-975

I also have a mold to swage some sort of Monst. Red. clones with larger diameter (5.55mm head, 5.75mm skirt), and they can fly way faster in the 1:32 (950 to 1050)
Similar speeds to mine.

Guess I'll look for pellet swage, 🙂.

I do like the redesigned, .22. pity about the latest quality though. Just purchased 20 tins!