RTI RTI p3 .177

i bought a brand new p3 in .177 10 days ago the riffle sounds out of balance like it has too much hammer on it , but the power wheel is on minimum. it doesnt sound at all like the one i tested in the shop and their tune is the same. any help how to make it sound smoother ? i tried a FX maverick that shoots 100fps faster than my RTI and it sounds butter smooth

I'm not familiar with the P3 but I have a few P1 prophets..
Probably needs a little tuning no big deal... Start with your reg at 90 bar and shoot it.. if it isn't sounding or performing the way you want. Up the regulator 10 more bar and try it again...keep upping the regulator until it tells you where its happy...fine tune it with power wheel.. two rifles can be identical in settings I can assure you they will not perform the same.. and congratulations on your new P3!

I have P2 in 177. I have feeling that these guns arent made for 177 caliber. They are made for higher caliber. valve is different from other guns. Spring tension makes no difference at all
hello sir i am pretty familiar with how a balanced valve works. i owned quit a few FXs, daystate,brocock, vulcan 2 and vulcan 3. most of them are multicaliber nowadays and all if mine where in .177 with no power restrictions(the only caliber i can own in this country). but this riffle sounds like the hammer is knocking on the valve too much at 110 bar. if i lower the REG pressure i will need a new valve very soon.

I had the reg pressure on my Maverick all the way down to 60 - 70 BAR / as low as the FX regulators will allow, with 700 mm barrel i can still push 13 gr slugs upwards of 1000 FPS

My 600 MM maverick ( .177 FAC ) came set to 90 BAR, it is also just about there it shoot best
i seriously cannot process the fact that 2 bullpups that work in similar ways at similar pricepoints . and the P3 sounds so different in a bad way . both have huge plenums, valve and hammer location is literally at the same place.

Reactions: Peashooter
Yeah the P3, which i have never handled, do seem like a power gun, but then again the Maverick and other FX rifles no slouch either.

My maverick that was originally 600 mm, well on power wheel 7 and the 90 bar, it shot 13.43 gr MRD pellets at 570 FPS, granted like lasers but i did not get a FAC rifle to have a glorified blowpipe, but the problem was, i could of course get speeds up, but then the only working ammo in it was the beast pellets.
And that remained so ( dident shoot slugs back then ) until i got a new 700 mm barrel, it with some tuning of course i can get to shoot just about anything fairly well.
Okay the heavy liner i also got, well i can still not get it to shoot heavier slugs like 16 and 20 gr well, but like the regular barrel ( 700 mm ) it shoot 13 gr Zan slugs very nice, though i do often have to chase a changing POI around with clicks on the scope.

I have big hopes for the epic airguns two, that is for a new slug rifle.

Yeah the P3, which i have never handled, do seem like a power gun, but then again the Maverick and other FX rifles no slouch either.

My maverick that was originally 600 mm, well on power wheel 7 and the 90 bar, it shot 13.43 gr MRD pellets at 570 FPS, granted like lasers but i did not get a FAC rifle to have a glorified blowpipe, but the problem was, i could of course get speeds up, but then the only working ammo in it was the beast pellets.
And that remained so ( dident shoot slugs back then ) until i got a new 700 mm barrel, it with some tuning of course i can get to shoot just about anything fairly well.
Okay the heavy liner i also got, well i can still not get it to shoot heavier slugs like 16 and 20 gr well, but like the regular barrel ( 700 mm ) it shoot 13 gr Zan slugs very nice, though i do often have to chase a changing POI around with clicks on the scope.

I have big hopes for the epic airguns two, that is for a new slug rifle.
the only .177 airgun i saw shooting slugs over 16grains well is a very customised vulcan 2 with an alpha precision barrel and a daystate redwolf again with a 650mm alpha barrel. on my P3 i have a custom 1:16 polygon barrel being made as we speak i’ll have it installed in a few weeks

Reactions: Peashooter
I have a P3 coming in a few days, however, I have shot hundreds of rounds through a range buddy's P3 before purchasing. Anyways, he was demonstrating to me how the hammer spring tension needs to be set right with the assisted valve. Too low and the valve won't operate right. If you increate the hammer spring tension does it sound the same?
valve lock occurs if you have less hammerspring tension for your reg pressure, and you hear just a mini (PPIT) sound. on my riffle if i set the regulator at 180 the speed is still climbing with the hammer on the minimum . i dont know if they make lighter weight hammers

valve lock occurs if you have less hammerspring tension for your reg pressure, and you hear just a mini (PPIT) sound. on my riffle if i set the regulator at 180 the speed is still climbing with the hammer on the minimum . i dont know if they make lighter weight hammers
OK, I see. Dam that sound would worry me too. My P3 will be in this coming week. Tony @ Talon Tunes went over my gun thoroughly and tuned it for the JSB ammo I ordered. He said it was shooting perfectly. So if my guns shows up with that same ping I guess it's just the way it sounds. I'll let you know if my gun doesn't make that same sound.

OK, I see. Dam that sound would worry me too. My P3 will be in this coming week. Tony @ Talon Tunes went over my gun thoroughly and tuned it for the JSB ammo I ordered. He said it was shooting perfectly. So if my guns shows up with that same ping I guess it's just the way it sounds. I'll let you know if my gun doesn't make that same sound.
tony is great from what i see and he knows his guns and how to set them up. in my case i had a conflict with the dealer because he did the exact opposite . and now i got to pay a gun smith to sort my riffle from their mistakes. he even sent an email to RTI and said i am not ok in my mind

So you can try this.
Open the backside and take a look at the spring. Sometimes the spring is not fitting the adjuster wheel. Because of the space between hammer and valve. The reason is hammer bounce. The spring can go wrong on the adjuster.
You can solve this by squeeze the spring slightly with pliers. The spring will stay on the adjuster.
I had the same with my Prophet performance 2
Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 21.33.46.png

hello sir i am pretty familiar with how a balanced valve works. i owned quit a few FXs, daystate,brocock, vulcan 2 and vulcan 3. most of them are multicaliber nowadays and all if mine where in .177 with no power restrictions(the only caliber i can own in this country). but this riffle sounds like the hammer is knocking on the valve too much at 110 bar. if i lower the REG pressure i will need a new valve very soon.
Here's some number off my P3 just so you have some comparisons to work off of:

.25 JSB 33.95gr pellets:
95 bar
HS wheel 2 clicks from bottom
876 FPS

.249 H&N HP II 34gr slugs:
160 bar
HS wheel 8 clicks from bottom
965 FPS

Also, if you had your reg at 180 bar and HS tension at the minimum the valve should be valve locking at the projectile flopping out the end of the barrel sub 500 FPS. Check and see if the spring is setting down on the pin on the tensioner (part #61 in the above pic). You can see it if you take the cheek piece and left cover off. I think this is the same thing Simi was talking about.

You can see in the left pic my hammer spring was sitting on that pin which caused way to much HS tension. I fixed it in the 2nd pic by grabbing the spring with needle nose pliers and popping it back onto the tensioner pin.

1707109530426.jpeg
1707109551702.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Simi