• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

RTI P1 Compact Working Shroud project

Well…I finally got around to finishing my RTI P1 Compact Working Shroud project. RTI-P1C-WS

The standard shroud IMO is just a barrel centering device. Depending on the barrel length and shroud configuration, there is between 1”-4” of empty space in the shroud. There are no stock baffles. The stock RTI barrel centering part has holes to allow air to move back into the shroud, but they are much to small to be effective.

So I figured..why not make a shroud that actually allows air to be re-directed. Like use a muzzle brake style design within the shroud with nothing impeding airflow.

I thought about shortening the stock shroud, but decided against that route for a couple of reasons..one, while the shrouds aren’t exactly expensive, I didn’t want to hack the shroud if I didn’t have to..they do provide a very stiff barrel centering system..two, the barrel is only held in place by a single set screw in the receiver.

So, leave the standard shroud in place and add a larger shroud around it. Prototype with Delrin because it's easy and quick to machine. This would have been much easier with a 3D printer, BTW..but I don’t own one..yet. I needed a back cap that would slide over the standard shroud and capture the larger carbon fiber tube, an internal muzzle brake that would screw onto the standard shroud end cap, and a front cap that would hold everything in place.

Here are the prototype parts..

[parts pics]
IMG-RTI-WSP-ShroudParts.JPG

IMG-RTI-WSP-ShroudMBandCapInstalled.JPG

CF tubing that is 34mm OD and 32mm ID was the largest I could squeeze between the CF bottle and the 20MOA Picatinny rail. Cutting square ends was easy..I used my arrow cut-off saw

[saw pics]
IMG-RTI-WSP-CutOffTool.JPG

IMG-RTI-WSP-CFCutting.JPG

Put it all together, and whada ya got?

[before pics]
IMG-RTI-WSP-InCaseBefore.JPG

[after pics]
IMG-RTI-WSP-InCaseWODL.JPG

IMG-RTI-WSP-ShroudCloseUp.JPG

Last edited:
Great job! What you removed the shroud and put the carbon fiber tube directly over the barrel?
Actually, a shroud over a shroud, at the moment. I will eventually remove the 25mm shroud..at least most of it..and just have the CF one. Just requires a different approach to the "barrel centering" problem.

Have you tested it yet to see if it's quieter?
Yes, but I haven't done testing with my dB phone app, yet. Just "subjective" my ears testing. And a few shots in the garage to verify that POI does not change.

With standard shroud and no additional moderator. LOUD!

With the CF shroud only. A "snap" sound. Not objectionable..not loud or soft. This is without and sound softening material in the CF shroud..like felt or sorbathane..etc.

With the CF and a DFL Yokozuna (pic above), it is quiet..REALLY quiet. I hate "the term "mouse-fart"..but if I were to use that term..we're talking a really effing small mouse. ;-) In the garage, the noise of target impact was louder.

Hopefully, in the next few days I'll be able to put some comparative dB numbers together. I'll also remove some of the chambers on the Yokozuna to see what effect that has.

Here's the dB readings. The RTI P1 has a 20"CZ .22 barrel. Tune is 22gr JTS @ 890 for ~39FPE

I used two dB apps..one on my iPhone and one on my iPad placed 3 feet in front of the barrel and 1 foot to the right side. The app was called Decibel Meter on both devices, but they had a distinctively different look so I'm not sure they were the same.

The iPhone was closest to the barrel with the iPad just to the right of the iPhone.

RTI was on a tripod angled downward with pellet impacting wet grass maybe 3 feet past the recording devices.

iPhone App
108dB RTI Stock Shroud
78 dB RTI with just CF shroud
75 dB RTI with CF and DFL Yoko & 1 section
70 dB RTI with CF and DFL Yoko & 2 sections
65 dB RTI with CF and DFL Yoko & 3 sections

iPad App
89 dB RTI Stock Shroud
82 dB RTI with just CF shroud
77 db RTI with CF and DFL Yoko & 1 section
76 db RTI with CF and DFL Yoko & 2 sections
74 db RTI with CF and DFL Yoko & 3 sections

Last edited:
Here's the dB readings. The RTI P1 has a 20"CZ .22 barrel. Tune is 22gr JTS @ 890 for ~39FPE

I used two dB apps..one on my iPhone and one on my iPad placed 3 feet in front of the barrel and 1 foot to the right side. The app was called Decibel Meter on both devices, but they had a distinctively different look so I'm not sure they were the same.

The iPhone was closest to the barrel with the iPad just to the right of the iPhone.

RTI was on a tripod angled downward with pellet impacting wet grass maybe 3 feet past the recording devices.

iPhone App
108dB RTI Stock Shroud
78 dB RTI with just CF shroud
75 dB RTI with CF and DFL Yoko & 1 section
70 dB RTI with CF and DFL Yoko & 2 sections
65 dB RTI with CF and DFL Yoko & 3 sections

iPad App
89 dB RTI Stock Shroud
82 dB RTI with just CF shroud
77 db RTI with CF and DFL Yoko & 1 section
76 db RTI with CF and DFL Yoko & 2 sections
74 db RTI with CF and DFL Yoko & 3 sections
I'm getting ready to test a new moderator, but I don't have a dB meter. Which iPhone app are you using? TIA.

I'm getting ready to test a new moderator, but I don't have a dB meter. Which iPhone app are you using? TIA.
There are 2

1) Decibel Meter dB sound detector v2.8.3 by ashram throppukadavil
2) DB Sound Meter

#1 has more settings and was used for the above data
#2 is very basic and appears to give readings above ambient noise levels..guessing because it doesn’t have a help or about screen

Reactions: Mr.H
I'm jealous - I've only got about 1mm between the stock shroud and the bottle on my Priest 2 to Prophet conversion. No room for the bigger shroud.
Looks a bit like the Mora; nice job.
The P1 Compact has the smaller 220cc bottle..it's only ~54mm OD. I also purchased a 300cc bottle with the same OD for my other P1.

I don't need the 500cc bottle size for hunting and I couldn't fit the Pic/Arca rail on the larger OD bottle..hence the smaller OD bottles worked for me.

Reactions: elbeau
Well…I finally got around to finishing my RTI P1 Compact Working Shroud project. RTI-P1C-WS

The standard shroud IMO is just a barrel centering device. Depending on the barrel length and shroud configuration, there is between 1”-4” of empty space in the shroud. There are no stock baffles. The stock RTI barrel centering part has holes to allow air to move back into the shroud, but they are much to small to be effective.

So I figured..why not make a shroud that actually allows air to be re-directed. Like use a muzzle brake style design within the shroud with nothing impeding airflow.

I thought about shortening the stock shroud, but decided against that route for a couple of reasons..one, while the shrouds aren’t exactly expensive, I didn’t want to hack the shroud if I didn’t have to..they do provide a very stiff barrel centering system..two, the barrel is only held in place by a single set screw in the receiver.

So, leave the standard shroud in place and add a larger shroud around it. Prototype with Delrin because it's easy and quick to machine. This would have been much easier with a 3D printer, BTW..but I don’t own one..yet. I needed a back cap that would slide over the standard shroud and capture the larger carbon fiber tube, an internal muzzle brake that would screw onto the standard shroud end cap, and a front cap that would hold everything in place.

Here are the prototype parts..

[parts pics]
View attachment 428502

View attachment 428503

CF tubing that is 34mm OD and 32mm ID was the largest I could squeeze between the CF bottle and the 20MOA Picatinny rail. Cutting square ends was easy..I used my arrow cut-off saw

[saw pics]
View attachment 428505

View attachment 428506

Put it all together, and whada ya got?

[before pics]
View attachment 428508

[after pics]
View attachment 428509

View attachment 428510
Absolutely stunning! What caliber is this RTI P1? I have a .25 P1 and it is a bit too loud for backyard pesting and that is with a suma on it.