• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

RTI Hush Moderator bad groups.

Had an RTI Prophet 2 .22 for a few months and have not been that impressed with the group sizes. Been through all pellets and slugs from 800-1000 fps and nothing much changes the group sizes. Even tried barrel tuners.
What I didn't try until yesterday was taking off the moderator. Wow - that seems to be the problem. No, its defiantly not clipping.
Ive never been a fan of the mods with a small diameter internal tube and vent slots like this RTI one. Seems to be inviting turbulence problems. I prefer baffles supported by the external tube. The slug has to pass through about 1" length of 9mm tube as it enters the moderator. Air must be forced past at this point.

Target at 55yds 1" circle. 27gn H&N at 950fps.

Anyone else using this mod and having similar issues?

IMG_4220.JPG
IMG_4221.JPG

Reactions: mercado
You don't need to clip to have accuracy issues with a moderator/shroud. It could be nothing more than barrel harmonics, but more often than not it is an alignment issue, whether it is bad enough to clip or not. With my firearms, I never shoot with a suppressor without checking each firearm it will be used on with an alignment rod, of course firearm suppressors are a huge investment and you would be a fool not to check. An alignment rod doesn't work with a choked pellet barrel, but would with a non-choked barrel. An easy, fast, and cheap way to check alignment on a pellet rifle is with painters tape. Tape over end of suppressor, then using your finger, smooth object, whatever, push around endcap opening on the tape to get a good crease. Shoot a pellet. My 22 Uragan was horrible with the AGT moderator on the end of the shroud (shroud flex with moderator added), I fixed it and it now looks like this and works perfect. Anything close to the edge creates high and low pressure areas, which means high and low speed gasses. Never good for a pellet, or even a slow light chunk of lead. Had to have the shoulder of one of my threaded 22lr's adjusted by less than 2/10,000 to get it centered and make it shoot well with a suppressor mounted. It was not clipping, just a little to close to edge of endcap.

blue.jpg

The green frog tape works, but it shreds a bit, just push it back down and see the center. I printed concentric circles on the green frog tape.
green.jpg

Reactions: Yorkie