• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

RTI RPB in a P1 Performance

Thanks for reviving this. I’m still waiting on some numbers from @jmohme. Good numbers or bad, it’s all important data.
I got home on Monday in the pooring rain. We got nearly 12 inches since the weekend, but it stopped today so grabbed the chronograph, a tin of JSBs and box of FX Hybrids.
I didnt set up a target because I didnt feel like swimming to my backstop, so this is just FPS data.

Test one is a six shot string with the 33.95 grain JSB King Heavy.

Test string 2 is also six shots but with 26 grain FX Hybrid Slugs.

I still have not changed anything on the gun since I swapped from the LW .22 LR to the RPB .25 barrel.
Regulator set at 130 bar, and I really dont remember exactly where the hammer spring tension is set but the screw is maybe 1/16 shy of flush with the K&L Butt plate.

I was a bit surprised there was not more difference in FPS considering how tight the FX Hybrids are to seat in the barrel.

RPB_JSB33.95.jpg

RPB_FXhybrid.jpg

I am heading back out tomorrw for work again and probalby wont get to do any more testing unitl the end of next month.
Being a responsible adlult kind of sucks sometimes. :giggle:

Reactions: IndyDurtdigger
Being a responsible adult kind of sucks sometimes. :giggle:

OK, I see why it sucks sometimes to be a responsible adult.

However, WE here at AGN do like it when you follow up on previous posts — and go through the hassle of giving us what you promised.
THANK YOU!! 😊

Now, my brain is probably full of packing material and only a little amout of gray matter (however well preserved through the careful packaging).
➠ Therefore, I do not understand how the same .25cal Prophet with the RPB barrel can shoot
▪ 26gr AND
▪ 34gr projectiles with almost the same velocity....

Sorry for the dumb question.
Please, enlighten my darkened mind. 😊

Matthias

Unlike most politicians, the Chorongraph doesn't lie, so all I can figure is that the slugs are lighter, but are also a tighter fit in the barrel, so maybe that just averages things out.

I have some Zan and Nielson slugs in different weghts and sizes coming so will be interested in how they do, but again, it will probalby be the end of February before I get to do any more testing.

Thanks jmohme. Your spread with the slugs might grow if you shoot 20 or 30 of them but it doesn’t look real bad as is. I have some time so I’ll elaborate. Let’s get the 33.95’s out of the way first. If you didn’t weigh them, right there can be an automatic 20fps spread. They also fit rather tight in a RPB barrel so that can add another couple fps to your spread. But I promise you, they will drive tacks at 100 yards out of a RPB. I did it all last summer thinking slugs are a waste of time for anything 120 yards or closer. Back to slugs. I was curious about the velocity of your initial one hole accuracy because those slugs were designed to shoot out of a 1:23. You have a 1:20. Twist rates vs slug weight/length with airguns can be head scratchers at times. The accepted way with slugs is to buy a couple pounds of everything until you find something that shows promise. Then everyone else just starts at what they heard or read someone discovered. We all can find the most promising truth or half truth slug to start with when we get our new toy with a simple search. But here is how we start getting spun around. The Hybrid in your gun is within .001 of the right diameter, but it’s too long. It’s essentially jammed into your rifling like a cork. A 28-30gr real slug will sit in there closer to the way it should because it’s shorter and your ES will show it. How are you able to break that jammed Hybrid free and not have a horrible ES of let’s say 15-30fps? Your gun is wasting air. Or your tune is. By over blasting a slug that’s not a good fit for the leade, you can cover up the bad ES that the poor fit causes. Unfortunately all that dirty air might bite you when you start to stretch the distance. And this is the part of the show when guys really start spinning and getting frustrated. If your tune is sipping air with the Hybrid, your velocities will be all over the place with a real barrel and rifling because you have a bad fit. Only corrected by a competent smith with the proper tools or trying a ton of slugs. Only to find one that is the right length but your twist rate or choke hates it. Did a little light just go on if you’re a FX metal straw guy and are reading this? A tiny tidbit of slug class is over. I hope I didn’t bore anyone. Thanks again for following through. It inspired me to share some of what I don’t talk about and keep to myself.

Reactions: nortac
Thanks jmohme. Your spread with the slugs might grow if you shoot 20 or 30 of them but it doesn’t look real bad as is. I have some time so I’ll elaborate. Let’s get the 33.95’s out of the way first. If you didn’t weigh them, right there can be an automatic 20fps spread. They also fit rather tight in a RPB barrel so that can add another couple fps to your spread. But I promise you, they will drive tacks at 100 yards out of a RPB. I did it all last summer thinking slugs are a waste of time for anything 120 yards or closer. Back to slugs. I was curious about the velocity of your initial one hole accuracy because those slugs were designed to shoot out of a 1:23. You have a 1:20. Twist rates vs slug weight/length with airguns can be head scratchers at times. The accepted way with slugs is to buy a couple pounds of everything until you find something that shows promise. Then everyone else just starts at what they heard or read someone discovered. We all can find the most promising truth or half truth slug to start with when we get our new toy with a simple search. But here is how we start getting spun around. The Hybrid in your gun is within .001 of the right diameter, but it’s too long. It’s essentially jammed into your rifling like a cork. A 28-30gr real slug will sit in there closer to the way it should because it’s shorter and your ES will show it. How are you able to break that jammed Hybrid free and not have a horrible ES of let’s say 15-30fps? Your gun is wasting air. Or your tune is. By over blasting a slug that’s not a good fit for the leade, you can cover up the bad ES that the poor fit causes. Unfortunately all that dirty air might bite you when you start to stretch the distance. And this is the part of the show when guys really start spinning and getting frustrated. If your tune is sipping air with the Hybrid, your velocities will be all over the place with a real barrel and rifling because you have a bad fit. Only corrected by a competent smith with the proper tools or trying a ton of slugs. Only to find one that is the right length but your twist rate or choke hates it. Did a little light just go on if you’re a FX metal straw guy and are reading this? A tiny tidbit of slug class is over. I hope I didn’t bore anyone. Thanks again for following through. It inspired me to share some of what I don’t talk about and keep to myself.

Thanks, Frank.

Deep truths, welling up from the depths of literally tens of thousands of hours experience.

So much to learn. But thankfully, we have some wise teachers here. 👍🏼

Matthias

Reactions: jmohme
I appreciate your input.
As I said earlier, this was the first day I have had since I got home that it hasnt been raining buckets and I leave again tomorrow. so I had littel time to shoot, so just did this very lmitied test with no changes in any settings, just to get a baseline. I have no doubt that things will change when I can spend the time to put more shots down range.

As for the JSBs. No, I did not weighing or sorting. Again, just wanted some inital numbers and expected some variations in FPS, but my real interest seeing what can be done with slugs. I already have 4 different slugs coming to get started with. I never really expected the FX Hybrids to be the magic bullet (sorry for the pun).
I alsoknow that there is no way that my tune is where it needs to be. I just wanted the inital results with everything set where it was before the RPB was fitted.
There is a lot of work to do before get where I really want this to be, but that is half the fun of this hobby.

I appreciate your input.
As I said earlier, this was the first day I have had since I got home that it hasnt been raining buckets and I leave again tomorrow. so I had littel time to shoot, so just did this very lmitied test with no changes in any settings, just to get a baseline. I have no doubt that things will change when I can spend the time to put more shots down range.

As for the JSBs. No, I did not weighing or sorting. Again, just wanted some inital numbers and expected some variations in FPS, but my real interest seeing what can be done with slugs. I already have 4 different slugs coming to get started with. I never really expected the FX Hybrids to be the magic bullet (sorry for the pun).
I alsoknow that there is no way that my tune is where it needs to be. I just wanted the inital results with everything set where it was before the RPB was fitted.
There is a lot of work to do before get where I really want this to be, but that is half the fun of this hobby.
Set your base tune for the 33.95’s in the 880-900 range. Prepare for some amazing shooting. If you want to try for a two trick pony, set your gun on a perfect 840-850fps tune with the 33.95’s. Hopefully it will shoot to your standards. Then when you shoot the right 30gr or less slug, you’ll be right where you need to be. Then you can shoot both without aggravating your reg. My findings so far with the .25 RPB is pellets can go very fast. Slugs can’t. But it’s not a big deal when your gun is accurate and consistent every day. It doesn’t need to be a powder burner. Around 920fps with a 30gr slug will still put a whammy on anything when you can hit the spot you’re aiming for.

Reactions: Spinach and jmohme
Set your base tune for the 33.95’s in the 880-900 range. Prepare for some amazing shooting. If you want to try for a two trick pony, set your gun on a perfect 840-850fps tune with the 33.95’s. Hopefully it will shoot to your standards. Then when you shoot the right 30gr or less slug, you’ll be right where you need to be. Then you can shoot both without aggravating your reg. My findings so far with the .25 RPB is pellets can go very fast. Slugs can’t. But it’s not a big deal when your gun is accurate and consistent every day. It doesn’t need to be a powder burner. Around 920fps with a 30gr slug will still put a whammy on anything when you can hit the spot you’re aiming for.
Any tips for the .22 RPB barrel?

It was working ok in the p2, struggling with a set up in the original prophet.

Prophet 2, has just been a problem pit. I'm concentrating on the original prophet.

I’ve been a RTI guy since the Priest l then Priest ll and now a P2. I have only shot .25 and .30. I am completely clueless about a .22 in that gun. What I can say is there is a substantial power difference between the P1 and P2. Jmohme is shooting a Hybrid 800fps at 130b. I can shoot them 950fps at 123b out of my P2 with a 510mm. I would have to examine a .22 RPB then spend some time shooting it before I could be of any help.

Reactions: Spinach
The Prophet takes no prisoners!

Love my RTI Prophet Performance V1s. Have every caliber barrel - even two of the .25 LR. But I don’t have an RPB yet… cause I don’t shoot slugs. But I wonder how the RPB barrels do with pellets.
They are still primarily a pellet gun. So the focus is shooting pellets great and trying to make slug life a little easier. Pellet life with the CZ barrels are great but they struggle with slugs.