RTI RPB in a P1 Performance

I ordered a RPB barrel in 25 caliber for the RTI Arms shop back in November. It came it was delivered just before I was heading out for several weeks away so I did not get to install it until yesterday.
I did a quick bore cleaning and polish I installed it and the .25 pellet probe. loaded some JSB King Heavy 33.95 gr pellets and headed out to my backyard range.

I set up a target on my 50 yard backstop. The first shot was low. The second also low but right on top of the first. I made adjustments to my scope and the next 8 shots were all right on target. This without changaing anything from my tune for the .22 LR barrel that it replaced.

Next up were a few FX Hybrid slugs. POI was higher than the pellets, but again hole on hole.

Back to the JSBs. I shot 60 shots with amazing accuracy and consistency. I really was not expecting this one to outperform the 22 Lr, but it did. Very pleased with this new barrel.

Next I need to get out the Chronograph and do some actual testing and fine tuning, but it is raining here today, so that will have to wait.
I almost dont want to mess with the tune. It just seems near perfect where it is.

I ordered a RPB barrel in 25 caliber for the RTI Arms shop back in November. It came it was delivered just before I was heading out for several weeks away so I did not get to install it until yesterday.
I did a quick bore cleaning and polish I installed it and the .25 pellet probe. loaded some JSB King Heavy 33.95 gr pellets and headed out to my backyard range.

I set up a target on my 50 yard backstop. The first shot was low. The second also low but right on top of the first. I made adjustments to my scope and the next 8 shots were all right on target. This without changaing anything from my tune for the .22 LR barrel that it replaced.

Next up were a few FX Hybrid slugs. POI was higher than the pellets, but again hole on hole.

Back to the JSBs. I shot 60 shots with amazing accuracy and consistency. I really was not expecting this one to outperform the 22 Lr, but it did. Very pleased with this new barrel.

Next I need to get out the Chronograph and do some actual testing and fine tuning, but it is raining here today, so that will have to wait.
I almost dont want to mess with the tune. It just seems near perfect where it is.
I found that it takes more oomph to launch .177 or to some extent .22 than .25 . I went the opposite way from .25 to .177 , lost a lot of FPS and also did not change a thing , just barrels .

Any of you tried any slugs?
I really don't need to shoot slugs, but would like to experiment with them anyway, so any suggestions of brands and size to start with would be welcomed.
Tony @ Talon Tunes recommended JSB Knockouts and FX Hybrids with my P3. He tuned the gun for the JSB's, set my reg pressure to 155, and it was launching JSB Knockout .25 33.49 slugs downrange at 965 FPS with nice groups. I was getting about 80 shots per fill with that setup. I have some Zan, H&N, NSA, and Patriot slugs that came in yesterday. If the rain stops I'll get some testing done on those.

Personally I like shooting the JSB King Heavy 33.95 pellets over the slugs. The consistent single hole groups at 25 yards is awesome. Also, I'm getting 140 shots per fill with those.

Reactions: jmohme
Tony @ Talon Tunes recommended JSB Knockouts and FX Hybrids with my P3. He tuned the gun for the JSB's, set my reg pressure to 155, and it was launching JSB Knockout .25 33.49 slugs downrange at 965 FPS with nice groups. I was getting about 80 shots per fill with that setup. I have some Zan, H&N, NSA, and Patriot slugs that came in yesterday. If the rain stops I'll get some testing done on those.

Personally I like shooting the JSB King Heavy 33.95 pellets over the slugs. The consistent single hole groups at 25 yards is awesome. Also, I'm getting 140 shots per fill with those.
I am impressed with the King Heavy JSBs too, but I like to try new things,
I did try 6 FX Hybrids and the first thing I noticed was a very clean hole on the firt shot and then the hole got a little more ragged as follow up shots hit the same spot on the target.
This PP1/barrel combo is so consistant I'm worried that it will get boring!:p

Reactions: lbc_PSI
I am impressed with the King Heavy JSBs too, but I like to try new things,
I did try 6 FX Hybrids and the first thing I noticed was a very clean hole on the firt shot and then the hole got a little more ragged as follow up shots hit the same spot on the target.
This PP1/barrel combo is so consistant I'm worried that it will get boring!:p
I can't get bored shooting objects. My favorite thing to do is gather up my daughters LOL figurines off the floor and line those little feet killers up at 50 yards. Blowing grapes up is always fun too.

Reactions: jmohme
You will want to check the speeds over a 20 or so shot string when shooting slugs. If the speeds are jumping all over the place, it will show up when you quit shooting pellet distances and move further out. Slug weights are more consistent than unsorted 33.95’s so your speeds should be flat as a pancake. If they are not, there is another issue that you may be able to live with or not. Depends on how far you want to shoot.

Reactions: Spinach and jmohme
RPB:
.22 (.2175 approx.), 1:16, 24", rifling, light chocke
.25, 1:20, 24", rifling, light chocke

LR
.22, (.2175 approx), 1:32, 24", rifling, mid chocke
.25 i dunno

Actually, the RPB-1 is the easiest barrel to use, period. It works well with pellet (even better with jts .22 25.39gr @920-975 fps), and it works great with slugs.

The LR IS specifically designed to go with JSB Monst. Red. @920-950fps

RPB:
.22 (.2175 approx.), 1:16, 24", rifling, light chocke
.25, 1:20, 24", rifling, light chocke

LR
.22, (.2175 approx), 1:32, 24", rifling, mid chocke
.25 i dunno

Actually, the RPB-1 is the easiest barrel to use, period. It works well with pellet (even better with jts .22 25.39gr @920-975 fps), and it works great with slugs.

The LR IS specifically designed to go with JSB Monst. Red. @920-950fps

Great information!

Is the RPB barrel polygonal rifling or typical 12 land and groove?

Reactions: SupremaRatio