• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Royale leak question

This applies to the Royale 500 I have, but should also include others in that family of airguns.

I have a leak out the barrel that I am trying to fix. Watching the Ernest Rowe video provides good information (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh6KfG-LnLI).  Everything I have checks out against this video.

I've replaced all the seals (with the help of: https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/oring-database-what-im-doing/).

The leak is still coming out when I try to add any air to the cylinder. Like not even 5 bar and it is coming out the barrel.

Is there a specific process to follow when adding air to an empty cylinder and gun? The Rowe video doesn't seem to indicate there is anything special.
Is there a minimum pressure needed for some valve to close so it starts holding air (and I'm not talking about the check valve in the Foster fitting).

I have a new valve stem assembly coming from FX. I've already rebuilt the regulator with a kit from FX. That was the original leak I was chasing (it was coming out the port next to the gauge). 

I'm hoping someone has been down this road and can offer insights. Thanks in advance....

Did you try cocking the gun to close the valve.

Yes. I thought I had read something about tapping on the block with a mallet to help it close. I haven't tried that.

If the rifle is totally empty of air, cock it, and then open your supply tank aggressively, allowing a big shot of air. It might take 2 or 3 attempts, but it should start holding the air.

I just now tried this and could not get it to hold air.

Also, if people dry fire those with no air in them, they will pean the valve tunnel and the valve will stick? When you look in the side valve access hole is the valve stem all the way back?

Yes, the valve stem is all the way back in. The Ernest Rowe video shows this and mine is correct and it does move and is not binding.

Probably the valve pin or valve seat.

I'll wait until the package arrives from FX this week and then see if the issue gets resolved.

Thanks to all for the great information. If anyone else has anything more, let me know.

For those of you following along at home....

FX was able to send me the correct valve pin - for the Royale it has a 6.8 mm delrin base (P/N 7019); they had sent one with a 5.8 mm base (P/N 7015 as indicated on their drawings), but I didn't install that one since I noticed it was not the right size. If you ever need to buy a valve pin, be sure to measure yours in case they want to know.

Once I installed the correct valve pin, there was still a tiny leak at low pressure. So I followed the advice of elh0102 and just added more air pressure and it sealed and it is holding pressure like normal.

Jayson - you were right. I learned a lot from this experience, and have spare o-rings for future use.