• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Royale 500 Chrony results with JSB Kings and Mk1 Heavies

I managed a day at the range on Saturday and the predicted winds and storms arrived also, the forecasters got it right for once, lol , so conditions made it difficult for group shooting but I was impressed with the .25cal in the wind, expected that as I have a couple of .25cal powder burners and you could say I am a fan of this calibre. Anyway with the JSB Kings the numbers are~ Max. vel. - 940.3fps JSB King Heavy Mk1 ~ Max vel. - 827fps
Min. vel. -922.9fps Min. vel. - 797.6fps
Std. dev.- 4.2 Std. dev. -5.5
Avg - 931.6fps Avg. - 815.5fps
Ft/lbs - 48.95 Ft/lbs - 50.13
Total shots - 65 Total shots - 81
Found it interesting that the shot count was higher with the heavier pellets but I am not entirely sure there was a 220bar fill for the Kings as I found that the rifles gauge reads approximately 10bar less than the gauges on my bottle and Hills pump, bugger, looks like more testing, lol. Should mention that this rifle is fitted with a regulator also.

Good work Strikey.I got out on Saturday as well.Same conditions with blustery cross wind.I lost count of shots when my son forgot how many times he reloaded the mag.I was busy on the end of something else.I reckon your figures are about what we did,a mix of Kings and Heavies.What is the reg set at?I topped up at 150 Bar,but they were still flying with no real drop at 50 metres.They were spread across the target though due to wind,so no report on happy groups yet.Got to get a chrony when I've got some spare change.Cheers Paul.

FastEddie, not sure of your location but I am down here in Australia, the Royale's do not come with a regulator, it is an option and if memory serves me right the cost of the reg. plus install was $160 on top of purchase price for the rifle, I did order a few other bits and pieces with it so that may not be exact. I was tossing between a Wildcat and this rifle but decided I do prefer a traditional style of rifle over a bullpup.

Paulcat, I think the reg. is set at 140bar, that's about when mine was dropping off but as I said the gauge on my rifle reads a bit less than my other gauges. Although the conditions were not great for shooting I did manage a couple of reasonable groups I am happy with but I seem to be having a bit of trouble with Photobucket lately, might have to move to Imgur.

I noticed the gauge was reading different when I first filled the rifle, just didn't check before running the first string of Kings over the Chrony as there were a few people standing around asking about it. Rely on the gauge on your pump when filling as it will be closer to the mark and if you have never used a chronograph before you may have to buy 2 because you may end up shooting the first one,lol

The FX regulators come from the factory set about 138 bar. (As told by someone at AOA). It costs $210 to have one installed. I put one in my FX Royale 200 and the accuracy definitely improved. I'm looking to get a Royale 500 and am trying to decide regulated (higher shot count and shot to shot consistency) vs. non-regulated (more tunable).

Thanks for that info. Strikey. What's the FPS difference between power 1 and 2? I'm wondering about tuning the gun to shoot as fast as it can and shooting the heavies on 1 and the kings on 2.

Not sure about the difference between the 2 power settings, I did shoot a couple of pellets on the lower setting and they landed about 4 inches below my POA at 50yds, I will probably only shoot this rifle on power 2 and I may tweak the hammer spring to see if I can get a little more fps from it as I would like to shoot the Heavies a bit faster to take full advantage of their higher BC.

Strikey, even if your on rifle gauge was 10 bar off and the regulator was actually 150 bar, it's pretty impressive that your still getting 65+ shots (as you said, the air reservoir may not have been full) at an average of 931 psi! Did you tweek the rifle, or is this how it is shooting out of the box? The reason I want to know is that I'm going to get a Royale 500 and am deciding on whether to get it regulated or not. I'd like to get it regulated, but am worried that with it being regulated, there wouldn't be enough power to push the heavies to an optimal FPS. But this gives me reason to reconsider.

"chasdicapua"Strikey, even if your on rifle gauge was 10 bar off and the regulator was actually 150 bar, it's pretty impressive that your still getting 65+ shots (as you said, the air reservoir may not have been full) at an average of 931 psi! Did you tweek the rifle, or is this how it is shooting out of the box? The reason I want to know is that I'm going to get a Royale 500 and am deciding on whether to get it regulated or not. I'd like to get it regulated, but am worried that with it being regulated, there wouldn't be enough power to push the heavies to an optimal FPS. But this gives me reason to reconsider.

All I did to the rifle was shoot about 200 pellets before running anything over the chrony so basically these results are as is straight from the box, so to speak, I was not expecting these sort of numbers but I am impressed. Next chance I get to go the range I may play with the hammer spring tension but I think I need to try some groups at 50 & 100yds first. I emailed these figures to our Australian importer ( Hermanns Sporting Guns ) along with graphs of the shot strings which actually show 50 plus shots within a 10fps spread also they confirmed the regulator is set at 140bar. If you are considering a 500 I would recommend a walnut stock or laminate model, that's where I should have went, not a fan of their new synthetic stocks.

Just for comparison, my 25 will shoot a nice string unregulated from 200bar down to 160. I get 28 shots at 1%ES or under and 40 shots at 2% and under. Plenty for me right now at the longer distances, 70-100yds. At the 50-60 yard distances 3% ES would be fine and I would guess at least 60ish shots. Oh, almost forgot to mention, that's at 902 and 904 average, with Kings.
Jimmy