• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Rookie question about my Akela. Pls pardon my ignorance.

So the owners manual of my Akela states that certain pellets can hurt my rifle. I'm ignorant on the subject so can someone please elaborate for me? Common sense tells me that pellets too heavy may damage it by blowing out seals and o rings, maybe even damage a valve? I've fired some copper jacketed, I can't really see that hurting it unless they are galding up the barrel, but can copper hurt it? Also what about light pellets, are there pellets too light that will damage it? I started off with springers and a gas piston. Honestly the most accurate pellet in both of those rifles were the gamo gold PBA 177 supersonic. Will these in 22 cal hurt my Akela? I figured if it won't hurt the rifle, it wouldn't hurt to buy a pack. 

Seriously doubt it will hurt,I’m in the process of testing pellets too.Just DO NOT try those .22 ruger pointed from Walmart.They are crap!
3753EC13-A989-46F2-8899-6FA4A2488A7D.1602985188.jpeg

a few numbers from different pellets and power levels.

Are you referring to this statement?

CAUTION: The airgun was designed to function best with BENJAMIN® and CROSMAN® lead airgun pellets.
• Use of other ammunition may cause the gun to malfunction and could cause damage to the airgun

Any pellets manufactured for an air rifle that are the right caliber and not to long for the magazine should work fine without damaging the rifle.

If it Fit's..... it shoots..... just finding the one that shoots best is the problem, Crosman states that so you will only buy their pellets, (Marketing) slugs will shoot too, (but some rifles don't like them), same thing applies, finding the right one.......

the Akela is a Kral rebranded for Crosman, it will use any pellet as long as it is the right Caliber and length, heavy pellets work fine.

Yeah in PCP rifles it doesn’t matter if you use light or heavy pellets. And I’m pretty sure those copper pellets are just a thin coating. I don’t think they are like a copper jacketed powder burner bullet. As long as the pellet feeds in the magazine, you’ll be fine. It’s just like with anything else you buy, they recommend you use their products. If you buy a Chevrolet they tell you to use genuine AC Delco products. You must still be doing a lot of testing. I was looking back at your 50 yard targets again and those 25 grain JSB pellets look to be not too bad of a group. Even the one group of the 18 grain looked pretty good.Maybe you just got a find the right velocity for either of those pellets. I’m still learning something every day about these guns. But a good while ago I read on a forum that said if you shoot a bunch of different brands of pellets that it is good to give the barrel a Good cleaning because of the different brands having a different lead composition. But once you find a pellet it likes then you don’t have to clean it for Long time .I don’t really know How true that is, it’s just something that I read.Some people never clean their air guns as long as they are shooting accurate.But whatever you’re up to good luck with it.

Hi Toolmaker,

I think those statements are aimed at youth and the inexperienced. Could be some marketing too, to sell their house brands of ammunition. But youngsters may be tempted to try and load bbs, screws, strike-anywhere match heads or homemade darts in the magazine for a pellet rifle, that would surely jam up there or in the transfer port. Maybe even some of us who are still kids at heart would be tempted to try some 'stuff' hmmmm??? Haha

Hi Toolmaker,

I think those statements are aimed at youth and the inexperienced. Could be some marketing too, to sell their house brands of ammunition. But youngsters may be tempted to try and load bbs, screws, strike-anywhere match heads or homemade darts in the magazine for a pellet rifle, that would surely jam up there or in the transfer port. Maybe even some of us who are still kids at heart would be tempted to try some 'stuff' hmmmm??? Haha

I'm running out of pellets and have boxes of screws and nails. Thanks for the idea. WOOHOO I'm shooting today!