• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Rookie needs help deciding

Hey all. I am new to this side of air rifles. I grew up with everything from the old red ryder (yes with the compass and sundial) to a benjamin pump .22, I never took "air rifles" serious until recently. I am a little older and a little wiser now, and with a son who is turning 7 and another on the way, I want to find ways to spend more time with them, and something we can do anywhere at anytime is shooting some pellets around the house.
Now, for my own entertainment and because I want to, I am looking at getting a PCP for small game hunting (squirrels, rabbits, iguanas, raccoons, etc) and have been looking around the $400-$500 mark. The Avenger was obviously a huge hit when it was released, and it appeals to me. However, there seems to be more and more companies offering similar specs in their own brand. I am not opposed to any brand and have looked at youtube reviews until I am cross-eyed and confused. I like the Avenger, JTS Airacuda, and Hatsan Hydra, but again, I am open to suggestions and have not seen any of these in person.
Here are a list of specs that I am wanting to check off to help me decide:
O .25 cal or .30 cal
O Accurate to 50 yards (accuracy is relative, but would like to keep it within 1/2" at 50 yards)
O Easy fill and/or easy to change air bottles
O Ability to mount a scope
O Removable magazine
O I would prefer a side lever, but not a deal breaker

If you're only looking to go out 50 yards, you might consider a .22 caliber. You'll use less air and ammo is cheaper and there are more choices. If it were me I'd get a Daystate Revere in .22. They're light and accurate out of the box and truly should be capable past 60 or 70 yards. If you plan to do much walking you'll be glad for the lighter weight. Another fine but much more expensive choice would be an FX Royale 400. I recently acquired one and it's a laser. My only beef is it's difficult to sling and I get tired of the over the shoulder carry while hunting. Airguns of Arizona has a .22 Revere on their pre-owned section now.
Don't forget some way to fill your gun, either a pump, tank or compressor will be needed.
Here's the Revere-
1676929928307.png

I've read a whole lotta people singing praise upon the Air Venturi Avenger. I've never touched one myself.

Available in .25cal, rated 45fpe. $350-$430 for synthetic or wood version. Ive read the synthetic stock feels hollow and janky but kids don't care about that.

I went .22 for my first and chose the Air Venturi Avenger. Love it.
I really like the ability to adjust the regulator and hammer spring. Got a $33 chrony and am having a ball.
I can keep it filled from 2k psi to 3k psi with a $60 four uncles pump. Also have a YH compressor and Air Venturi 74 cuft tank.

I'll shoot more as it warms so the tank and compressor will get more use.

Hear nothing but good from the Marauder.

Looking at a bullpup now, maybe Akela? Maybe Avenger?

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
Raccoons are the largest you have listed. I have killed around 7 or so this year with a 22. Though the longest shot was maybe 20 yards but I think it will do it at 50. I would stick with the 22 for more shots, less expensive pellets, even less noise (if that is a consideration). The Avenger sure looks like a good rifle for the money. It has been reviewed a millions times and I have never seen a negative one. I am planning on getting one as a guest rifle if I have a bud over for a backyard hunt / beer drinking / cigar smoking night.

Thank you all so far.
You should check on how well any Gun is supported!
Can you get parts and how many hoops do you need to jump through to get them!
Hatsan goes WAY down on the list for that!
Yeah this is a good point Privateer.

In my mind, I have narrowed my decision down to the JTS, Avenger, and maybe the Barra 1100z.

Thank you all so far.

Yeah this is a good point Privateer.

In my mind, I have narrowed my decision down to the JTS, Avenger, and maybe the Barra 1100z.
Dont miss out on any potential great deals either. Check all the big retailers and use their website search function for "used", "refurbished", "blemish", etc. Theres tons of stuff popping up all the time that is in perfect condition at discount. For example, you can get a brand new FX Crown MkII for $1,200 right now if you know how to find em.

i dont see anything wrong with an avenger, i have an mrod .25 myself, and yeah, at 50+ .25 is more positive on game .. the drawback to .25 is ammo isnt available locally nor cheap, so i consider the gun strictly for taking care of business ... .22 is more versatile for plinking etc but i wouldnt want to pot shot anything larger than squirrel at 50 ..