• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Rookie looking for HPA compressor

I am buying my buddies Daystate Regal tomorrow. My first airgun [I know, what a way to jump into the sport]. He has a Nomad 11. I really don't want to maintain another piece of equipment and hoped to just by a big CF tank and pay folks to fill it. No such luck. I live in the Far North [Alaska]. There is one dive shop here, but will fill only to 3000 PSI. I talked to all the fire departments and they either said no or that it would only be an occasional thing at best. No sense in spending $700 for a tank I can't fill. 

There is no free shipping, ever, to Alaska on items this heavy. So shipping is very, very high regardless of what I order or where I order it from. I am not ready to buy a Daystate/Bauer machine at this stage. I would like a little more capacity than the Nomad 11 or its Omega equivalent. So it seems the choices are the AV 4500, one of the Omegas, or the Benjamin Recharger. Prices seem similar. Any recommendation for a particular model based on performance, reliability, and service support? 

This is going to be an expensive exercise, but I would like to minimize problems if possible. I like to avoid adversity, not overcome it.

Thanks.

Mike

I've researched compressors a lot because I plan to upgrade soon. A dive compressor will probably be the way I go since it's easier to get where I am. The Benjamin Recharger and something like the Omega Turbocharger have a somewhat smaller overall size than the Air Venture/Hatsan Lightning and might be less expensive to get to your location. The Omega units have a longer history than the Benjamin Recharger and many seem to be happy with the Omega units they have. I use a Yong Heng still so I can't speak from experience with any of those you mentioned but I like the size, features, and quiet operation of the Omega Turbocharger and the Hatsan seems to be a very nice unit as well. The Hatsan is apparently extremely similar in basic mechanics to the Air Venturi but has a few additional features. For what it's worth. You will get lots of opinions.

Perhaps there are others in your area that want access to hpa... If so consider a true dive compressor. They are not cheap. In the long run it is likely the best option. I went with the Alkin Mariner. I fill my own carbon tanks and tanks for other local airgunners. I don’t charge but they all pay what they would to a dive or paintball shop after a long commute. Win...win...

Joe

Check out the booster option. Either an Altaros or a Shoebox F10. You can service these yourself and they have great reliability record. You will need a shop compressor, but they are a dime a dozen from a local hardware place. The only "drawback" is they are slower than the others. I have the Altaros and has been problem free for over a year and a half now. 

If you have power for a small shop oilless compressor good for 100 psi and the 1/2 hp 110v shoe box compressor and purchase the gauge and 2 micro bore hoses, then the F10 fills my 480cc FX bottles from 100 bar to 250 bar in about 1/2 hour. I bought the silicon liquid filled gauge and hoses from joe brancato for $150 + 15 for shipping. All joe's stuff is rated for 4500psi ( probably more than that). I don't worry about pressure ruptured hoses and gauge. If you don't have power for 2 motors running at the same time the Altaros is run by compressed air from an oilless shop compressor . The shoe box is made in U.S.A. by a family run company who backs their product and has spare parts ect and will ship a set of gaskets, belt, ect for a small fee. They will talk you through any problems. Still have my 1st set of gaskets. I am a firm believer in the gauge and hoses because the gauge is accurate and you will always know you haven't over pressurized your gun or tank. If you are sold some paint ball gun hoses as 250 bar hoses and one breaks you don't want to be near it. At least one air gunner has had a bad experience and reported it on this forum. 1000psi can be very hazardous. You never know if stuff on ebay or other sources is truly rated for 4500 psi. Joes is. Joe lives here and his business has grown and prospered. I believe in safety 1st last and always. I'm sure every one is tired of me harping on it. High pressure air is easily controlled with the right equipment and procedures. I enjoy air gunning with pcp rifles. I want you too also.

I have the Shoebox F10 compressor and I like it. Yes, you need other stuff like an oil-free shop compressor, some desiccant filters, fittings, but, it's reliable, made in the USA and easily serviceable. However, If I was to do it again, I would buy an Alkin and just be done with it. Yup, spendy, but you'll make plenty of friends and you'll never come on to a forum and complain about it breaking down.

Folks, excellent feedback. I live in Interior Alaska just shy of the Arctic Circle. As far as I can tell there are only two other guys shooting PCP airguns and I don't know one of them; the guy I know has the Nomad II. We are mainly trap and skeet shooters, although trap will end soon as winter is about here. I don't think we will have enough airgunners in the foreseeable future to buy a dive quality compressor, although that would be ideal. I did check out nitrogen, thinking that welding supply folks would have the ability to fill air tanks to 4500. It turns out they have their bottles filled 365 miles away and trucked here. They do have large bottles of nitrogen at 6000 psi, but the one guy that tried it found that the pressure quickly went below 4500 and most of the bottle was low pressure air.

The idea of a shoe box is worth exploring. How do I contact Joe Brancato? I don't mind the time to fill a large bottle if it is safe and fairly economical. Otherwise, the mid value AV or Omegas likely are in the equation.

Thanks so much for the guidance in this first step.

Mike 

If you are interested in the Shoebox F10, buy directly from Shoeboxcompressor.com, they are the manufacturer and have excellent response and support.

Seems it would be a viable option-many people report excellent service (and ease of rebuild) from Shoebox compressors. And they are a little smaller and lighter than most others (if you already have a good shop compressor) so shipping might be a little less to remote Alaska.