Ronin vs Sumo

Hi everyone. I'm looking for a bit of advise from the forum family. I have a Daystate AirWolf .22 and a Daystate MK4 .177. If anyone out there has these two rifles or something very similar, I would like to know from your experience which ldc would be better for use. I know this is very subjective, but I'm looking for the most backyard friendly application I can get. I'm not worried about length, just sound dampening properties. With the pellet of choice, each rifle is shooting under 900 fps. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Keith.

Hi Keith! Would you be running these moderators attached to the shroud, or directly to the muzzle? I ask for two reasons:

1) shrouds will significantly improve sound attenuation 

2) my testing suggests that, on shrouded and relatively low-flow guns, larger diameter moderators may not actually perform as well as their skinnier counterparts of equal length. And this really seems to be a strong trend. 

It is a bit of a read, but I hope this helps:
https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/fx-crown-bespoke-moderator-tesla-gas-diode/page/5/#post-453278

*edit* 
For those looking for the spark-notes version, here is the breakdown chart. All of this was tested on my FX Crown .22: 
1555456711_15569238125cb662c74b1a90.95478973_Breakdown.png

Hi Keith! Would you be running these moderators attached to the shroud, or directly to the muzzle? I ask for two reasons:

2) my testing suggests that, on shrouded and relatively low-flow guns, larger diameter moderators may not actually perform as well as their skinnier counterparts of equal length. And this really seems to be a strong trend. 

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/fx-crown-bespoke-moderator-tesla-gas-diode/page/5/#post-453278

*edit* 
For those looking for the spark-notes version, here is the breakdown chart. All of this was tested on my FX Crown .22: 

So you are saying the smaller tanto is better than the sumo? 71.2 vs 108 is a big difference. Wanting to get one for my impact 25 cal. Will be screwing in on the shroud. So the tanto will be a better deal?

*edit* 

So you are saying the smaller tanto is better than the sumo? 71.2 vs 108 is a big difference. Wanting to get one for my impact 25 cal. Will be screwing in on the shroud. So the tanto will be a better deal?

So far as I can tell, it is not so simple as one moderator being better in absolute terms than another, particularly if you restrict the architecture type to just the "hair curler, felt, and washer baffle" format. This category includes the 0dB, Hugget, Clague, and Donny moderators, which are all the same in that it is basically a wrap of felt around the outside, some sort of structure to hold that felt around the perimeter, and big flat baffle obstructions in the middle, usually two or three of them. 

My data indicates that, in ~32 foot pound systems, smaller diameter and longer tubes will perform better, all else being equal, than an identical architecture of larger diameter. I can only assume however that, if you for example have a double-bottle FX Impact with extended plenum running much higher air outputs, all moderators will be louder in absolute term but in relative terms the larger volume designs will begin to gain the upper hand in terms of sound attenuation. 

The OP however very specifically asked about two guns which are .177 and .22 running in the low 30 foot pound range and below, which suggests he is in the power category where the Sumo and Ronin will perform worse than the 0dB, Tanto, Belita, etc.

You, shinyknight, running an impact in .25 caliber, I can't as specifically speak to because I don't have a test platform in that performance range. Actually, .25 in general spans a rather large performance range anyway, as some people are running light .25s which are no more air consumption/KE than the high end of .22s while others are all the way up to slugs running 100FPE. So I can't suggest a specific moderator, because I don't have enough data, but I suspect that a .22 caliber Tanto won't be the best choice. ;) I realize that doesn't answer your question, but I hope it provides at least some insight to better inform your decision. 

I hope that helps. 

Reactions: PumaCarl
Send an Email to DonnyFL and ask him. He should give the best advice.

Ketih,

Of all the posts here, this is probably the best advice given. I second the motion! Donny is very good about responding to his custumers' inquiries and a pleasure to chat with. 

I will say that the comment about larger diameter isn't necessarily the best for a given rig is interesting and has some merit...so write Donny! 

George 

STO is technically correct, -the best best kind of correct! I have noticed the same thing where my Tanto was very noticeably quieter than my Sumo on a sub-35FPE air gun (Flashpup) which both were direct threaded to the barrel. I was a little shocked too. On my .25 w/45FPE, the Sumo is a clear winner. You have to actually try it to really know. It is an awesome win, when smaller works better, especially on a bullpup.

The Sumo has always been the quietest for me on various 22 and 25 caliber rifles, and varying power levels as well.

I just tried the FX by Donny suppressor in my Impact 22 yesterday...59fpe and quiet, and only a little larger than the Tanto.

You can't go wrong with the Sumo but definitely contact Donny if you're unsure.

Ironically I was just watching your video on YouTube about Donny's suppressors. I thank all of you for your insight and advise. I will certainly give Donny a shout and see what he has to say. Luckily I'm just west of Donny in Florida so I won't have to wait long when it's shipped. Again, thanks everyone. 

Keith.

Keith,

You've already gotten some fantastic feedback on here regarding Donny's suppressors. 

I personally use his RONAN and EMPEROR V3 on all of my rifles, and absolutely love them both! 
They're used in both shrouded and non-shrouded configuration, and work amazingly both ways. Shrouded obviously better.. 
I'm using mine Indoors. Of the handful of suppressors used in the past, Donny's are The Best Hands Down!

Donny rocks! As others mentioned, just shoot him an e-mail, and he'll usually get right back to you. 
He was even fast with responding and chatted with me for a while before telling me that he wasn't even in our country.. haha
While he was in the UK, I had a question before snagging a few more adapters.. Anyways.. 
Chat with him, place an order, and the order will go right out! I'm in NY, so see things in usually just a few days.. 
If you're in FL, you could potentially see an order the same day if not the next.. 

Best of luck!

🙂👍 

Sam -

I have the Air Wolf in .22, I have always just used the shroud, my gun has a “ping” sound to it, not overly loud. So I tried my friends Donny fl (short and fat) I dont remeber the model but we both agreed it really made very little difference...the “ping” persisted

Are you referring to hammer ping or ping coming from the shroud? To remove the ping coming from my shroud, I placed three o-rings between the barrel and shroud. That seemed to take care of the resonance in the shroud. I'm not sure what to do about the hammer though.

Keith.