Rockchucks a story

Rockchuck Hunting on the Columbia River.

In a secluded part of the Columbia River, where basalt cliffs tower above, the river as it flows its way to the Pacific. leaving my truck, I embarked on a solitary adventure. Armed with my 105X 25 pellet rifle, I sought out elusive prey: the yellow-bellied marmots, known as rockchucks in this part of the world.
The sun was still low in the sky, casting long shadows across the canyon walls. The air smelled of sagebrush, and the distant flow of the river provided a soothing backdrop to my pursuit. Rockchucks are no ordinary critters, they inhabit desolate expanses, challenging even the most seasoned hunter. Unlike the hyper pace of ground squirrel or a rabbit rockchucks offered a different kind of thrill.
Why did I choose the rockchucks as my quarry? Perhaps it was the beauty of the country itself—the desolate beauty of eastern Washington foothills. The canyons with its solitude, the wind-swept canyon stretched as far as the eye could see. Rockchucks, with their yellow bellies and stout frames, blended perfectly into this rugged landscape.
As I crept along the basalt cliffs and rip rap, my eyes scanned for movement. Rockchucks are great at concealment, their fur blending with the rocky terrain. Spotting one was like finding a nugget of gold. My reward for patience and observation. And when I did spot him. I stopped motionless. The rifle nestled against my shoulder, I took aim.
The shots pop had a slight echo through the canyon, and the rockchuck tumbled. Its orange-brown fur contrasted sharply against the gray rocks. But this was not mere target practice; it was my communion with nature. Each successful shot this day felt like a tribute to the wilderness and appreciation to the forces that shaped this land over the eons.
I would sit on a warmed boulder, watching the river below. The current flowed relentlessly, carving its way through the basalt layers, heading its way to the Pacific ocean In those moments, I felt connected to the land, to the river, and to the animals that called this place home. I felt at peace.

yellow-bellied-marmot-rocks-mia-mcpherson-0224.jpg

Last edited:
If you have to travel that far to kill them, then they aren't pests. At least not for you.

So, why kill them?

All my best!

Kerry
I’m not sure if your question was to me or Septicdeath but I’ll answer for me.
Not every animal that I enjoy hunting would fall under the category of game animal or pest. I do enjoy the variety of small and upland game that we can legally hunt here in California. I like eating them almost as much as hunting them. And I do my fair share of pest control as well for a small local ranch that has too many ground squirrels for their liking.
Now Rock Chucks would fall into a different category. I have cooked them and they really aren’t that great. They don’t live where they would be a pest to any body else. However I do enjoy hunting them. They are very challenging to approach closely with an air rifle. They live in some of the most beautiful terrain in my state. Where I hunt them we are stalking at just over 9000 feet elevation so just hiking is a challenge.😁 I do utilize their very thick beautiful fur for tying flies.
The most important reason to me for enjoying hunting the Rock Chucks is that it is an activity that my dad and I do together. About 35 years ago we hunted them for the first time. Back then we used center fire rifles. Flash forward to today and we both use air rifles. My dad is 75 years young now. Even at 75 he still is able to walk with me high up in those mountains and spot those marmots. Sitting down in the shade of a pine tree, overlooking the scenery and having lunch with my dad while talking about the days adventure so far is all the reason I need to make it worth the long drive up and the long hike out to find those Rock Chucks.
Kenny
9FF460C5-BB96-4FE4-87A9-EC64222D218D.jpeg
C49C885F-307C-4A4A-8A76-0257CC0B900B.jpeg

Not every animal that I enjoy hunting would fall under the category of game animal or pest. I do enjoy the variety of small and upland game that we can legally hunt here in California. I like eating them almost as much as hunting them. And I do my fair share of pest control as well for a small local ranch that has too many ground squirrels for their liking.
Now Rock Chucks would fall into a different category. I have cooked them and they really aren’t that great. They don’t live where they would be a pest to any body else. However I do enjoy hunting them. They are very challenging to approach closely with an air rifle. They live in some of the most beautiful terrain in my state. Where I hunt them we are stalking at just over 9000 feet elevation so just hiking is a challenge.😁 I do utilize their very thick beautiful fur for tying flies.
The most important reason to me for enjoying hunting the Rock Chucks is that it is an activity that my dad and I do together. About 35 years ago we hunted them for the first time. Back then we used center fire rifles. Flash forward to today and we both use air rifles. My dad is 75 years young now. Even at 75 he still is able to walk with me high up in those mountains and spot those marmots. Sitting down in the shade of a pine tree, overlooking the scenery and having lunch with my dad while talking about the days adventure so far is all the reason I need to make it worth the long drive up and the long hike out to find those Rock Chucks.
KennyView attachment 452889View attachment 452888
For many of the same reasons as you. For me I think my short story explains it well enough.

Reactions: Kgphotos
KennyView attachment 452889View attachment 452888
That's awesome!
I enjoyed spending time with my dad. He got me started in gold mining and he and I would spend weeks in the mountains dredging, and metal detecting. He is gone now but I still think about all the adventures that we shared. Thanks, Dad, for the wonderful childhood!

Man I wish there were Rock chucks near where I live.

I've shot 3, two in ID, one was with a 22rf at 70Y, one at 250Y with a 17Rem, and one in WY at 412Y with a 20x47L wildcat/55's at 3830 fps, all while on vacation.
The one at 412Y was hit with such force it went helicoptering off the tippy top of a huge boulder up a tall hill shot at a 17 degree angle.

Going to WY in June hopefully, to try again. RC's too me are the ultimate long range hunting animal.

Reactions: Septicdeath
Rockchuck Hunting on the Columbia River.

In a secluded part of the Columbia River, where basalt cliffs tower above, the river as it flows its way to the Pacific. leaving my truck, I embarked on a solitary adventure. Armed with my 105X 25 pellet rifle, I sought out elusive prey: the yellow-bellied marmots, known as rockchucks in this part of the world.
The sun was still low in the sky, casting long shadows across the canyon walls. The air smelled of sagebrush, and the distant flow of the river provided a soothing backdrop to my pursuit. Rockchucks are no ordinary critters, they inhabit desolate expanses, challenging even the most seasoned hunter. Unlike the hyper pace of ground squirrel or a rabbit rockchucks offered a different kind of thrill.
Why did I choose the rockchucks as my quarry? Perhaps it was the beauty of the country itself—the desolate beauty of eastern Washington foothills. The canyons with its solitude, the wind-swept canyon stretched as far as the eye could see. Rockchucks, with their yellow bellies and stout frames, blended perfectly into this rugged landscape.
As I crept along the basalt cliffs and rip rap, my eyes scanned for movement. Rockchucks are great at concealment, their fur blending with the rocky terrain. Spotting one was like finding a nugget of gold. My reward for patience and observation. And when I did spot him. I stopped motionless. The rifle nestled against my shoulder, I took aim.
The shots pop had a slight echo through the canyon, and the rockchuck tumbled. Its orange-brown fur contrasted sharply against the gray rocks. But this was not mere target practice; it was my communion with nature. Each successful shot this day felt like a tribute to the wilderness and appreciation to the forces that shaped this land over the eons.
I would sit on a warmed boulder, watching the river below. The current flowed relentlessly, carving its way through the basalt layers, heading its way to the Pacific ocean In those moments, I felt connected to the land, to the river, and to the animals that called this place home. I felt at peace.

View attachment 452801
Great story ! I thought I was reading an outdoor magazine . I get what you're saying , and with a family member or friend makes it even better . I no longer have that drive to chase after quarry hours away , mostly because buddies moved on , as did family . Life gets in the way ! Now I'm happy to have my dairy permission 5min.s away that gives me most of what I need & no long drives , reservations , weather differences , etc.

Reactions: Septicdeath