• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Rock solid barrel, FX Maverick

I know a lot of people are scared to bump their barrels in fear of a POI shift. However I did some testing today with my .30 Maverick and even after grabbing the gun by the end of the barrel and shaking it violently in between shots it still held it's POI Grouping. Mods done recently include epoxying the carbon sleeve to the liner, installing a bullet central tensioning kit, and installing a black arts design bottle/barrel band. I think the barrel band definitely has the largest impact. This is a very good quality product and the owner even sent me an extra fastener after I dropped one and lost it. Now I'm not so worried about POI shifts day to day or after I bump into something. Just thought I would share.

I know a lot of people are scared to bump their barrels in fear of a POI shift. However I did some testing today with my .30 Maverick and even after grabbing the gun by the end of the barrel and shaking it violently in between shots it still held it's POI Grouping. Mods done recently include epoxying the carbon sleeve to the liner, installing a bullet central tensioning kit, and installing a black arts design bottle/barrel band. I think the barrel band definitely has the largest impact. This is a very good quality product and the owner even sent me an extra fastener after I dropped one and lost it. Now I'm not so worried about POI shifts day to day or after I bump into something. Just thought I would share.
I haven't gone to THAT extreme but, I did put on a bottle sleeve that did raise the barrel up about 3.5MOA at 30 yards(600mm barrel, .22), beyond that no noticeable difference after 50ish shots. My CF liner isn't epoxied on. I've never really had an issue with the barrel moving around...EXCEPT then things were loose, if it screws onto the barrel or shroud, make sure it is snug..

Well my original shroud are gone replaced by carbon fiber in the same OD.
Not really for fear or POI shift, but rather i upgraded from 600 to 700 mm barrel length, and doing that with all FX parts would be insanely expensive.
So i got a 100 mm extender for the barrel pipe and 3 CF pipes from China that fit on the barrel pipe and inside each other.

Mind you ! those CF pipes, well it do mean that they have to be in the same place, CUZ clocking them which you can as they are just a light press fit on the barrel pipe, well where you hit will change dramatically.
BUT ! once set up you are good, just something you have to remember if you had the barrel off the gun / out of the CF pipes.

I still feel that the FX barrels feel flimsy, and i suppose others also feel like that, i much prefer the heavy CZ barrel of my Vulcan 3

Reactions: Ricochet
Well my original shroud are gone replaced by carbon fiber in the same OD.
Not really for fear or POI shift, but rather i upgraded from 600 to 700 mm barrel length, and doing that with all FX parts would be insanely expensive.
So i got a 100 mm extender for the barrel pipe and 3 CF pipes from China that fit on the barrel pipe and inside each other.

Mind you ! those CF pipes, well it do mean that they have to be in the same place, CUZ clocking them which you can as they are just a light press fit on the barrel pipe, well where you hit will change dramatically.
BUT ! once set up you are good, just something you have to remember if you had the barrel off the gun / out of the CF pipes.

I still feel that the FX barrels feel flimsy, and i suppose others also feel like that, i much prefer the heavy CZ barrel of my Vulcan 3
I just did this with my .25 Avenger. Used 5 carbon fiber tubes that fit inside each other. Put them all together with epoxy.

I just put one of those on my 600mm Crown. Its the first one I have had that I actually like and think works.

IMG_1598.jpeg

You might be one of the lucky ones. Does yours have the newer forward barrel clamp?

Huuummmmm..........does that mean I should buy a lotto ticket?

I had a POI shift problem then I realized it was my cheek weld/parallax error, fixed it with an Element scope that has a tight eye box. Indeed I spend a few hundred at FX to fix FX POI "problem". :oops:

Huuummmmm..........does that mean I should buy a lotto ticket?

I had a POI shift problem then I realized it was my cheek weld/parallax error, fixed it with an Element scope that has a tight eye box. Indeed I spend a few hundred at FX to fix FX POI "problem". :oops:
I dont suggest anyone buy a lotto ticket its a scam ;)

But when checking zero everytime you shoot is the normal thing to do...

Ive shot many a PB match where there was no zero check before first shot was recorded. Seems like zero checking is standard in the AG world. A barrel bump of a few thousandths can show up on paper, and a single grub screw in the rear of 700mm barrel is not a solid system. I have experienced my own AGs shifting poi just putting them in the case and removing them. IMO the FX system leaves a lot to be desired as do many other people. Hence the market for barrel support systems. I think a solid poi is the exception rather than the rule, even if a few people say they never had it happen to them.

Reactions: steve-l

Ive shot many a PB match where there was no zero check before first shot was recorded. Seems like zero checking is standard in the AG world. A barrel bump of a few thousandths can show up on paper, and a single grub screw in the rear of 700mm barrel is not a solid system. I have experienced my own AGs shifting poi just putting them in the case and removing them. IMO the FX system leaves a lot to be desired as do many other people. Hence the market for barrel support systems. I think a solid poi is the exception rather than the rule, even if a few people say they never had it happen to them.

I think it’s all the noise on the forum screaming POI shift by a few that may or may not even own a FX gun. FX sold insane amount of guns, if POI poop is so common then they won’t be in business.

I had 6 FX and no POI change issues as far as I can tell and I’ve tripped and dropped my Impact then rolled over it during a hunt with no issues. Can FX system be better? Of course but it certainly isn’t all that lacking in my experience as an actual owner of multiple FX guns. I even took off my tensioning system and think my impact shoots better with out it but that could be down to fine tuning.

I have my 7th FX on the way and it has a very solid barrel system for high power slugs but people already complain why can’t we change caliber easy like before! Can’t please everyone! LOL!!!

Last edited:
I think it’s all the noise on the forum screaming POI shift by a few that may or may not even own a FX gun. FX sold insane amount of guns, if POI poop is so common then they won’t be in business.

I had 6 FX and no POI change issues as far as I can tell and I’ve tripped and dropped my Impact then rolled over it during a hunt with no issues. Can FX system be better? Of course but it certainly isn’t all that lacking in my experience as an actual owner of multiple FX guns. I even took off my tensioning system and think my impact shoots better with out it but that could be down to fine tuning.

I have my 7th FX on the way and it has a very solid barrel system for high power slugs but people already complain why can’t we change caliber easy like before! Can’t please everyone! LOL!!!
Maybe, but when poi shifting is evident in the paid FX promo videos there is room for improvement. I think most AG people assume it comes with the territory and just dont complain about it. I think the outcry seen is a lot of PB guys coming into the AG world for the first time (myself included) and kinda left scratching your head. I think its great you havent seen any poi shifting but lets be real, it is a common issue. What distances do you shoot normally?

I’ve owned many fx rifles along with others. While non of my fx rifles have changed poi on me unless I accidentally knocked one over or bumped into a tree with the barrel.
However, a few of my other air rifles have. I won’t name brands, because there are a lot of them with problems, and non need to be singled out.
Also, my crown has 4 screws holding the barrel in place, not 1. You must be talking about the impact, and that barrel is supported where it goes through the block. The rear screw is only to stop the barrel moving forward during shot cycle. My impact doesn’t change poi either. Neither did my last 2 impacts, but hey! It’s a know fact by “non fx owners” to call it an issue, so it MUST be an issue!!

I have had POI shifts in 700mm barrel Impact set ups.
They were usually sorted with 2 or 3 clicks at 50 though.

For that matter, if I had to dial in a click or 3 on my Steyr 110, I wouldn't start wondering about the quality of Steyrs barrels, maching, etc.....

If I was going to a no sighter match, I would be double sure to verify zero the day before and be prepared to click on the fly for any aberration. That is pretty much the drill for PB and AR shooting right?

Reactions: Frostbite
I’ve owned many fx rifles along with others. While non of my fx rifles have changed poi on me unless I accidentally knocked one over or bumped into a tree with the barrel.
However, a few of my other air rifles have. I won’t name brands, because there are a lot of them with problems, and non need to be singled out.
Also, my crown has 4 screws holding the barrel in place, not 1. You must be talking about the impact, and that barrel is supported where it goes through the block. The rear screw is only to stop the barrel moving forward during shot cycle. My impact doesn’t change poi either. Neither did my last 2 impacts, but hey! It’s a know fact by “non fx owners” to call it an issue, so it MUST be an issue!!
Well see the comments above. There is clearly an issue. And the Impact, Wildcat, Maverick, Dreamline, etc are the models I was making reference to. I understand everyone gets attached to their equipment, but to say there is no poi shift is simply denial lol. There is plenty of documentation to raise eyebrows, there are plenty of FX owners that wont buy another FX. They are just machines designed by flawed humans no need to get defensive. And dont get me wrong I dont think they are bad, just more sensitive to what I am used to.