Robert Lane regulator for my S510 (help Matt please ?! =) )

Hi guys, 

I'm about to buy a Robert Lane regulator to fit to my air arms S510 .22 xtra FAC but I have few questions before doing anything.
1) Can I buy it on ebay and expect the same service as if I directly ordered it from Robert? (set the wanted pressure..)
2) Do they come lubricated inside or do I have to disassemble the reg and lubricate it?
3) Can I buy any type of "medium thickness" silicon grease (to lubricate ALL the O-rings) or are there any brands best for airguns service?
4) How long does it take for the reg to "take its place" (work as expected)?
5) What should I use to polish the inside of my air tube? (The green thing that is at the back of sponges? really small grain sandpaper?)

I guess I have other questions but these are the first ones that come to my mind at the moment..
Thanks for the help guys and sorry for the mistakes, keep in mind I'm french ^^

Don't know about the eBay thing. Mine came set at 120 bar and I left it there. Plumbers clear silicon is what I used. 800 grit sandpaper and scotchbrite pad are what I used. Measure many times and make sure where you are when you drill. If you have an fac model, you'll need to machine down the brass pot on the gun. I chucked it in a drill press and used a file to shorten mine. I didn't mess with the regulator itself, place it properly and put it all back together and go shoot. Mine was great right from the start and has stayed so for a year now.

James, I had a lot better luck with a HUMA regulator. I tried a Lane and had some issues with it and resorted to sending it back for a refund.
Maybe just luck of the draw though. The regulators are lubricated upon assembly so there no need to worry about that. There's other mods that can be done to enhance the regulators performance like reducing the hammer weight and opening up the air pot for a little more air flow. The Huma I installed in my AA carbine really didn't need any break in time to be very consistent. It's very critical to polish the ID of the air tube where you drill the vent hole. I used a 3/8 wooden dowel with a slot cut into so that 800 grit sand paper can be wrapped around the dowel and then chucked up in a electric drill. More than likely you'll be pulling the regulator out a few times for tweaks so getting the ID of the air tube polished up real well will let you remove the regulator without fear of damaging the O-rings.
JK

Thanks for your answers !!
jking: I've just discovered the huma regs, thanks to you, and I have to say I'm a bit more confident with them, dunno why, it's just a feeling I have.
Can you please tell me what is included in the package?? (Drill bit? silicon grease? set of O-rings? anything else?)
I think I'll be ordering this one if you're so happy with it =) 

I put a Huma regulator in my S500 a few weeks ago. It comes with a bit of grease and nothing extra. I suggest getting the spare o-ring kit when you buy it. Also you will need to buy your own drill bit. I used a 1/16" bit and it is about twice the size of the breathing hole on the reg(gives ya a lil fudge room if you don't locate the hole exactly perfect. Don't forget to index the air cylinder and valve body/hammer body parts before disassembly as well. 

Another question buds is, what power do you get after the tuning?? 
I've been shooting my AA for 3 years now, maybe more then 20000 pellets through it and never replaced anything in it, so.. time for a big service (that's why I decided to install a reg).
Now, do you think I should replace the firing spring as the rifle seemed less powerfull the last few weeks (sadly no chrony to verify this)? Or do you think replacing all the O-rings will be enough? 
Again, thanks for your answers !! =)

BY indexing you need to mark were the tube meets the valve body, and valve body meets the hammer bod. you can use tape, or a light mark in the metal. This will allow you to reassemble the parts exactly as they were before disassembly. 

As for tuning the gun afterwards you can't do it with out a chronograph. (I wouldn't even try)

Which brings up another good idea that I didn't do but wish I had of now. I'd take some of that blue masking tape that comes off really easy and tape the entire air cylinder until a majority of the work has been completed. The high gloss beautiful bluing on the air tube scratches really easy. I ended up with a couple that to me are noticeable. Don't know what can be done to cover those up either.
JK

Thanks a lot for your answers and help guys =)
Just bought the huma and a set of O-rings to service my rifle..
Will buy silicon grease and 800 grit silicium paper on which we can apply grease before sanding.
Now, I really look forward to the new results, hope it was woth the money =)
For your scratches jking, maybe you'd want to reblue your cylindre, that's the only solution I can think about..

Just read this and seen you've already committed to a Huma. I have no experience of the Huma, so I wish you success. Let us know how you get on.

For others reading this - I have found Robert Lane and his regulator kit to be excellent. His videos contain a wealth of information. After fitting a regulator to an AA S400 and taking the time to adjust the firing pin and hammer springs (as his videos describe) in conjunction with a chrono, I have a (12fpe) rifle with an extreme spread of 3fps (with weighed pellets) from 1st to 70th pellet. I bought from eBay, but spoke with Robert Lane by phone to understand and select a pressure setting. I bought the full kit, which contained the regulator, o-rings, grease, drill bits, removal tool, stand-of spacer and instructions. As I said I do not know the Huma regulator, but the Robert Lane regulator kit, instructions and results were so good I personally would not buy anything else. And before anyone wonders, I have no connection with Robert Lane, but I am a very satisfied customer.

I hope the Huma works well for you. Just to add some balance. My Lane reg was pretty much plug and play. I had already done the bstaley mod with o-rings and left one o-ring in place. I did not have to do anything to the hammer spring or hammer and I get 80 shots at 890 fps with jsb 10.3 with an ES of about 12 fps. I could not be happier with that performance and I am sure anyone would be as well. 

Again, hope the Huma works well for you, I just don't want anyone to come here and get the impression that the Lane has some kind of problem. Lots of folks in the UK use them as well with good results.

The way I got the depinger out was to hook my air tank up to the empty tube and give it a good blast. The depinger popped out no problem. I did run 800 sandpaper(if you have finer sand paper use it) on the inside of the tube a little past the depth of the regulator. I also made sure to go over the peaks of the threads lightly to take down the razor sharp edges. Don't worry this won't reduce thread engagement and is meant to be easier on your regulators orings. Also don't forget to stuff a rag in the tube, tightly, right up to the depth you will stop polishing. Leave it in untill you are done drilling the hole and removing the burrs and polishing some more. Make a couple passed with an oiled reag, and holding the tube with the open end down pull out the rag you stuffed inside. It will keep the rest of the tube from getting contaminated. I also can not stress enough the importance of cleaning the inside of the tube were you worked on it spotless before installing the regulator. A very light coat of silicone grease on the inside of the tube helps too.

I don’t work for Robert Lane but, as a regular customer for his regulators, and after reading this thread I thought I’d better comment. (Neither has he asked me to comment). 

Airgun Regulator’s normal website is down so presently the easiest way to order is via ebay, normally sent out same day, or via email and an invoice can be sent to you which you can pay via your card/or paypal. Ebay orders treat just as seriously as any other.

The regulator business is operated seriously and professionally, but is a side line to Robert Lane’s (He has an Engineering Doctorate etc etc) main work. Whilst I would imagine that he would like to spend a great deal of time talking to airgun enthusiasts around the World, helping them with their regulator related queries, I cannot imagine that he has the time in the day to deal with all the people who ignore his instructions/advice. There is a bunch of videos on YouTube that were made to help you/him, and full relevant advice is sent with each regulator. I would suggest that only if you’ve genuinely tried and failed with instructions/online advice should you then contact him; best by email, secondly by phone.

However, based upon my own/others' experience of his products, if someone has an issue then I would politely suggest that, unless package opened by customs and part possibly interfered with, you have not followed instructions/understood advice. Please do yourself/Robert Lane a favour, and read the instructions carefully/repeatedly.

The regulators are checked as working/have requested pressure prior to shipping, and have spare O’rings, correct grease, drill bit, spacer for outlet valve chamber; and often replacement spring where applicable. If they did not work then the pressure could not be set.

The regulators are properly lubricated. I quite appreciate that some people like to see things covered/swimming in oil and grease but that is invariably wrong with weapons, as any drill instructor will repeatedly shout in your earhole…..to ensure that you don’t kill/injure yourself and become a liability to all. Over-lubrication of an airgun regulator will likely cause, at least, inaccuracy.

Thanks for your answer Cookie =]
I think you're assuming that I didn't pay attention to the bunch of info we can find on youtube.
That's wrong mate. Robert's videos are really helpful And İ'm quite sure they'll apply to my huma reg.
What pushed me off robert's reg is both a feeling (you can't really explain it why would you prefer a vulcan over a cricket for example) and the fact that I couldn't directly be in touch with the company (the site being shut down at the moment.)
For such an important thing, I didn't to order via ebay and assume everything I'll receive was going to be in the exact same package as what I could read on forums and see on youtube. You might find it dumb but that's the way I am mate, İ'm very consciencious when it comes to working on my goods and ordering something important. I need to be sure. And I was not getting the few answers I was looking for.

So Even if robert is a busy manThanks for your answer Cookie =]
I think you're assuming that I didn't pay attention to the bunch of info we can find on youtube.
That's wrong mate. Robert's videos are really helpful And İ'm quite sure they'll apply to my huma (which I'm sure he is), even if he doesn't want to loose his time talking to someone who hasn't watched his videos (and İ HAVE watched them), as a business man selling objects that require so much attention, he is bound by his reputation and has to pay attention to his customers and guide / reassure them. I'm not saying that's not what he does, I'm just answering to what you said. And you didn't see which e-mail I sent him mate.. You're a bit quick at judging.. =]

So, I couldn't find the info on robert's reg because I couldn't get in touch with hım, I found every single thing I needed on huma's page. Simple choice for me, even if I know robert's reg are great and work well.

Sorry for the long post, sorry for the mistakes.. Keep in mind İ'm french !! ^^

PS: If you know "How much" grease you have to use mate, I'm happy for you, really !! =)
But it's my first time servicing my rifle like this and working on like this as well... So please, be more understanding with the dumb-looking question I could ask...
I saw Matt from south africa installing the reg and he seems to put a lot of grease !! Others say don't put too much..
So as a student who has spent almost all his "summer money" in his rifle, İ guess my questions, eventhough the answers are obvious for you, are all legitimate =)