HW/Weihrauch Ring modification

I'm trying to do math to figure out how much angle you need to attain your zero. For that I'll need you to answer the questions I posted before. Also what is your scopes elevation range? 30mm tube? I can figure this out but I need this information to help. GI/GO. Last night I was shooting center of a 10" plate at 500 yards with new box stock rifle, a simple Nikon scope and Walmart ammo. I got this covered if you work with me.

20240505_103146.jpg

20240505_103108.jpg

Lets start from scratch. How many inches drop do you have at 30 yards when optically centered. What velocity and what pellet? I might have mis understood the whole situation. I'm sorry
Using JSB .20cal, 13.73gr, 728fps.
When zeroed at 75yards, the scope is at its last click of up.
My two ranges are 30 and 75. Ideally I think it would be optically centerd between the those adjustment ranges.
👍

Screenshot_20240504_164148_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
How do we know it’s always the gun and never the scope rings? Does anyone know what the tolerances are on scope rings? For scope rings placed 4” apart a height difference of .0233 inches will result in a 20 moa shift. This could be a result of loose tolerances like +\- .010 and +\- 1/2 degree. The rings may be twisted slightly or the hole could have a little angle on it and the height may be off on one ring. The odds are that if it was a ring problem it would come from “tolerance stacking”. Not one dimension way off but maybe all the dimensions off a little which adds up.

I need the measurement in inches between POA I'm assuming the bullseye and the POI. I can't tell by looking at the target. Pellet and velocity. Approximate scope height or what rings were used.

I have been busy, but I finally got to spend some time with the new 97K this Sunday evening.

I measured 1.65 inches from the bore to scope, C to C.

The scope is temporarily an Athelon Helos 6x24x50 ffp moa. The Element Helix 6x24x50 ffp moa, is on backorder.

The rings are SportsMatch two piece, High 30mm.

The group measured 5.25 inches drop C to C, at thirty yards, with a centered scope.

I have a good set of eyes for seeing angles etc, and I do in fact see barrel droop in this 97K.

Screenshot_20240506_062602_FX Radar.jpg

Screenshot_20240506_062648_Element Ballistics.jpg

Last edited:
How do we know it’s always the gun and never the scope rings? Does anyone know what the tolerances are on scope rings? For scope rings placed 4” apart a height difference of .0233 inches will result in a 20 moa shift. This could be a result of loose tolerances like +\- .010 and +\- 1/2 degree. The rings may be twisted slightly or the hole could have a little angle on it and the height may be off on one ring. The odds are that if it was a ring problem it would come from “tolerance stacking”. Not one dimension way off but maybe all the dimensions off a little which adds up.
You're right. Rings could be at fault in some cases. Theres ways to check that. On a dovetail gun it's pretty easily checked. Just slide the rings together and check for a difference in height or offset. A difference of 0.023" would be glaringly obvious.

Theres also scope mounting kits like this one that have alignment checking bars. Scope mounting is something that is not taken very seriously by most shooters. There's certainly a right way and many degrees of wrong ways of doing it. I have the equipment and knowledge to lap rings the old fashioned way but typically the modern machining and production methods of quality rings generally makes it unnecessary. Quality being the key word. Cheap Chinese junk aren't worth using on any decent rifle.

20240506_070744.jpg

Last edited:
I'm trying to do math to figure out how much angle you need to attain your zero. For that I'll need you to answer the questions I posted before. Also what is your scopes elevation range? 30mm tube? I can figure this out but I need this information to help. GI/GO. Last night I was shooting center of a 10" plate at 500 yards with new box stock rifle, a simple Nikon scope and Walmart ammo. I got this covered if you work with me.

View attachment 461923

View attachment 461924
looks like shooting paradise !

Thanks I still need the distance between the Point of aim which I'm assuming was the bullseye and the point of impact on the 30 yard target you posted earlier.
Sorry my phone died all the info should be up dated on my last post. It was 5.25 inches C to C on that target, at 30 yards.
Thanks
👍

Reactions: Mycapt65
Here's your zeros charted out for actual BC for 13.73 Exacts.

Purple 20 yards
Red 30 yards
Blue 40 yards
Green 50 yards

I'm not sure what purpose you're using this rifle for but if you zero at 40 or 50 yards you'll have to hold under inside of those zeros. I've personally botched a few close shots because I calculated the hold under wrong. I've found it easier to only have hold over to learn.

Since the gun doesn't have barrel droop to should be able to zero any decent scope at 50 yards with standard rings. The Sportsmatch rings in the photo are excellent. They're all I use on my airguns and some European rimfire rifles.

The scope in the picture isn't an Element Helix. I found that when I tried to find the stats on the Helix. I use 1" Hawke scopes on all my airguns and I have been able to zero at 50 yards without a problem. I only zero at 50 when shooting groups at 50. Which is rare. I typically zero at 25 or 30 yards and use the reticle to avoid the hold under confusion if a target of opportunity suddenly appears inside my zero. A 30mm scope should give you more adjustment than my 1" scopes. I've been able to reliably shoot all my Airmax scoped air rifles out to 100 yards using the reticle. You should have no problem with the Element Helix

HTH
Ron

IMG_1331.png

IMG_1337.png

IMG_1332.png

IMG_1333.png

IMG_1336.png

IMG_1334.png

IMG_1335.png

IMG_1338.png

Thanks for the effort!
I hope there was some satisfaction in that nice piece of work..

I am only plinking at the moment.
I have two back stops in the yard, one at 30 and 75 yards. I shoot some spinners, hanging med bottles, bottle caps, shot shell hulls, wire nuts, empty C02 carts. Etc.

The plan is to be able to quickly dial those distances without being close to the scope adjusment ends.

The situation with the current set up, zeroed at 75 yards, is that I'm using the last click of up..
I'm not to fond of that idea with a springer pounding on it.

Thanks Harold

A bent barrel isn’t ruined at all. The bend required to fix it isnt noticeable to the eye. My 177 97k has shot dimes at 50 yards on a good day and quarters regularly. Ive adjusted nearly all my Weihrauchs to optical center at 10 yards and they all shoot very well. Bending a barrel to optical center at 10 yards will zero again at 25 or 30 yards. Holdover reticles are used past that.

Adjustable rings are too much of a PITA for me. Most adjustable rings don't compensate for windage and IMO look like an ugly erector set on a rifle. I prefer a more elegant solution.

Almost all of these guns have had their barrel corrected. Can you tell which ones? I'll tell you the 97 has and it's a real shooter.

Area 419 is a top shelf company that makes canted 11mm pic rails for cz and Anshutz PB rifles. Perhaps one of those and Burris signature rings will fix the problem without touching the barrel. It'll cost you and it still won't look as clean as two Sportmatch rings but they are serious quality parts with a strong followingin the powder burning world.

Please dont imply that my advise to bend the barrel is dangerous to the function of the rifle. You do things your way. I'll do them my way. I've straightened out plenty of guns for a few people here without a complaint. They wouldn't continue to trust me with their rifles if I didn't know what I was doing.

Ron

View attachment 461836

View attachment 461837

View attachment 461838

View attachment 461839
10 yards huh? I've been centering at 18 yards. I guess 10 yards will give you a little more elevation adjustment and more elevation spring tension. See that's why I follow these posts, to learn from the experts.

Reactions: .20calguy
Thanks for the effort!
I hope there was some satisfaction in that nice piece of work..

I am only plinking at the moment.
I have two back stops in the yard, one at 30 and 75 yards. I shoot some spinners, hanging med bottles, bottle caps, shot shell hulls, wire nuts, empty C02 carts. Etc.

The plan is to be able to quickly dial those distances without being close to the scope adjusment ends.

The situation with the current set up, zeroed at 75 yards, is that I'm using the last click of up..
I'm not to fond of that idea with a springer pounding on it.

Thanks Harold
You're welcome. A 75 yard zero isn't really practical for a 700 fps rifle. The trajectory falls off really quickly out there. It's naturally going to take a lot of adjustment. I've never tried zeroing any of my Weihrauchs past 50 yards. Most of my guns are 700 fps or better and the 50 yard zero takes a lot of my adjustment. I don't like running the guns that close to maxed out. That's why I usually zero at 25 or 30 yards. You're absolutely right not to like running on the ends of adjustment. Springers are tough on scopes and running them close to maxed out is probably what kills most springer scopes.

If you want to zero that far out I'd recommend looking into a canted mount like this.
I can't guarantee it'll fit but I believe Anschutz and Weihrauch use similar 11mm dovetails.

10 yards huh? I've been centering at 18 yards. I guess 10 yards will give you a little more elevation adjustment and more elevation spring tension. See that's why I follow these posts, to learn from the experts.
I try to adjust to a ten yard optical center. Some guns can't quite make it without the bend becoming noticeable. If I can get the barrel level I'm still ahead of the game. Side to side drift is even a bigger PITA

20221108_171608.jpg

20220728_122849.jpg

20221108_165655.jpg

20220728_123318.jpg

20220729_121737.jpg

20220729_114524.jpg

You're welcome. A 75 yard zero isn't really practical for a 700 fps rifle. The trajectory falls off really quickly out there. It's naturally going to take a lot of adjustment.
I have been shooting the HW 30 out there at 75 yards and hitting Crazy Eights, but I use the bottom marker on the crosshair at a little over 4X. With the scope zeroed dead on at 30.
The greatest challenge is cant, followed by wind. Lol

Reactions: Mycapt65
I have been shooting the HW 30 out there at 75 yards and hitting Crazy Eights, but I use the bottom marker on the crosshair at a little over 4X. With the scope zeroed dead on at 30.
The greatest challenge is cant, followed by wind. Lol
I love shooting my little 177 Hw30s long distance. I love hitting beer cans at 100 with my scoped 30. My peep sighted 30 is limited to about 50 yards due to too much post blocking the target. With 7-8 grain pellets, wind is your greatest enemy. Cant errors can be minimized with practicing good technique. Also a trick to minimize cant is to level the target hanger and to can use that to level the gun.

Last edited: