• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Rimfire vs PCP

Rimfire vs PCP @ 50 yards.

Some twelve years ago when I first got into airguns I went out our local range to shoot my Stevens bolt action .22 against my 850 HPA .177. Wind was right to left gusting at 12 mph so i took a sighter (36 gr) with the Stevens adjusted then put the next two into the bull. I then shot my 850 .177 JSB 10.3 gr into the middle target. 

Results were 1/2" (two shots) rimfire and 3/4" 3 shots for the 850. I plan another round in a few weeks using my CZ 452 vs my Avenger .22 but more shots/groups.

Bulls measure 2 1/4 "

IMG_0598.1612990506.JPG

Ok guys...5 shot groups it is...and my CZ 452 is an Ultra Lux. As far as ammo I stocked up prior to Obama getting in...I have approaching 9-10,000 rounds of LR 36 and 40 gr.

We can't use it hunting anymore (California) and that green stuff is inaccurate and they have boosted velocities to try and help it. Really sucks. I found out the other day I can't purchase PB ammo unless I have a recent fire arm purchase.

The Rifles.:

IMG_0599.1613003933.JPG

Another +1 on the Tikka T1X. Absolutely love mine and is very very accurate. I stocked up on .22lr awhile ago and have a good 3k rounds which with my shooting will last a good 5+ years or more. Mainly cause I shoot PCPs still 90% of 

yeah early last year , I bought 2 cases of Ely action (6000) rounds. 6 bricks of CCI ,6 bricks of Aguila for less than 600.00 my buddies were given me a hard time. I'm also hoarding JSB and Fx pellets, well ove 100 tins. With the new President, there's no telling what the future holds for shooters.

As I understand it, PCP airgun has so many variables that affect shooting especially unregulated models this is going to account for the decrease in accuracy compared to a 22LR.

.22 - same cartridges, same power every time. 

pcp - temperature changes tank pressure, pressure changes with shot count, pellet and slug mass feeds back to valve behavior (Airforce stock valves for example dump more air behind heavy slugs than lighter ones).

This sound about right?

As I understand it, PCP airgun has so many variables that affect shooting especially unregulated models this is going to account for the decrease in accuracy compared to a 22LR.

.22 - same cartridges, same power every time. 

pcp - temperature changes tank pressure, pressure changes with shot count, pellet and slug mass feeds back to valve behavior (Airforce stock valves for example dump more air behind heavy slugs than lighter ones).

This sound about right?

Yeah. I did it to see how much my PB shooting experiences applied. I found out all of it. In 1964 I made the Marine corps rifle team because I shot 248/250 with a M14 rack gun.. However when I reported to the team I was told I must qualify expert with the pistol..(match 1911 ). I had never shot a pistol in my life. So the Staff Sgt told me I had three days. When I practiced shots would hit at 7 o'clock..I was jetking the trigger...anyway come "qual day" the staff Sgt watched me qualify...I barely made it with 310...expert.

My avatar is a pic the range officer took when I finished shooting the 248/250.

Snow,misc 024.1613007025.JPG

depends what your doing .. .22 'used' to be a super cheap way to shoot .. and talking .22 vs pcp is actually about the same thing as far as real world ballistics and trajectories .... you can sight them in at 100 yards with a +/- killzone range of about 5 effin yards lol .. get that 'squirrel' target out of here your dreaming, and put up your paper bullseye and thats it .. with the ONE exception you have a 500$ scope and know the rifle like the back of your hand and can judge distance .. not likely your that set up and ready ... no, but in the real world if your going to be actually effective hunting you need it sighted for maximum point blank kill zone range .. both .22 and pcp will fall roughly within 10-50 yards point blank if zeroed correctly and you can stretch it a few yards if your good ... pcp's are quiet ... thats an advantage ....22's have triple the power ... if your wanting to shoot medium size at 100, 200 use something like a .223 ...

In my mind shooting squirrels has nothing to do with ideal kill zones ie "one inch." I wait for them to stand up and a lot do then I take my shot...from the top of their head to the shoulder is a much bigger target. But I agree with the MPBR . Where I hunt most shots fall between 30 and 80 yards which makes my ideal single AO setting 59 yards.