Rimfire vs Marauder

HI guys,

on another thread I asked about a good pcp recommendation and everyone delivered consistently on recommending the marauder - either pistol or rifle.

I have one other question, and that is to question the pros and cons of a marauder vs a well-supressed rim fire rife? Ultimately, muzzle-report is driving my decision, but, it seems a reasonable tradeoff would be no pumping or scuba tank.

So, what are thoughts and opinions on Mrod, Prod, rimfire, all within 23 yard distance? Sound level for fpe?

Apples and sledgehammers.... Airguns are not fire arms, and air guns can be suppressed, silence, moderated etc. to your heart's content. Firearms cannot be without a special permit.

.22 FPE is around 108+ at the barrel for high transonic rounds, and you have the crack of the sonic boomlet from the bullet. .22 ricochet can travel for well over a mile and are not neighbour​ friendly.

Pellets in that caliber are drag stabilised and do not fare well at transonic speeds.

Trying to compare powder burning fire arms with air guns is futile. They are different beasts altogether.

I have a suppressed .22 rimfire and plenty of PCP airguns.........

Rimfire pros vs airgun:
The sound level of a suppressed rimfire can be as quiet as a Mrod. It will be much more powerful even with subsonic ammo. You can have a worry free semi auto. No accessories to lug around just needs ammo. 

Rimfire cons vs airgun:
The wait time for a stamp is going to take 10 months plus. rimfires are dirty. they will need cleaning more often and the suppressor will also dirty up and need to be disassembled and cleaned. The power could be a bad thing depending on where you are shooting. The projectile will carry much further and retain high energy for hundreds and hundreds of yards. Price for the suppressed rimfire and all government required legalities with probably be a bit more expensive than a Mrod with fill accessories. 

Depending on what you are shooting and the needed power level would greatly effect the choice of Mrod, Prod or rimfire. I would personally go for a .25 Mrod (very good GM barrels) if you needed about 35 to 45 FPE. The .22 Prod is nice if you only need 15 or so FPE. The .22 Mrod is a crap shoot on whether you are going to get a decent barrel, I'd not chance it. Any of these can be quiet. You could pump any of these but of course the Prod is going to be much more pump friendly.

A few clarifications:

I live in texas, so I do not believe a stamp is required - I can walk in, swipe my debit car, and leave with a gun. Not unless rimfire carries with it a specific level of legal requirements? I don't believe they do in Texas.

I would mostly fire subsonic, into the ground, within 20 yards. I guess the plus side of RF is the transonic option - I guess all FAs have the sub/trans benefit now that I think about it. Not that I would, but I could if my location changed.

I'm not familiar with how convenient/annoying a hand pump is for PCP, and I'm not overly keen on having a scuba tank, but, as with all thing new, there's no way to know until you do it.

I like air because I can casually shoot from a window without the smell of gun powder permeating the house, or cleaning, or spent cartridges flying around.

What have you guys come to find with the operational aspects of the two? Would you rather hand pump a rifle? Or regularly clean a rim fire?

Jonny75904,
​The issue which requires licensing/fees/wait-period, is the suppressor/silencer required by the 22 subsonic powder rifle to get it's noise down to the air-rifle level. The powder burning rifle itself requires no wait period on most states (as you have said). The Marauder is considered quiet, even for an air rifles, due to it's long shroud and baffles it ships with from the factory. At a distance under 30 yards, it is more than sufficient to take out a large variety of pest animals, especially in 25 caliber. A 22 rim fire rifle, even when shooting into the dirt, still has a risk of ricochets. An air rifle can ricochet as well, but has less energy (about 1/3 of a standard long rifle round). This diminishes the probability of deadly outcomes from a ricochet. Finally, there are literally dozens of articles in this forum for tuning and modifying the Marauder to achieve your desired outcome. Some people want a lot of shots at 40 FPE, others want a smaller number of harder hitting shots. The Marauder is versatile. Some states, like mine protect owners using their air rifles in their back yards, even in cities. As long as you have a reasonable backstop, you will run into no problem with the law (even in cities) in Arizona. 

At 23 yards? Depends upon the purpose but for targets at 23 yards, I'd go with a good quality medium to low power springer like a TX200 or an HW80 in .177, for any critter smaller than a coyote at 23 yards I'd go with a good quality magnum springer like HW97K, or for a bit more power a Diana RWS 460 or a Diana 350 in .22.

At 23 yards shooting from a window, why bother with air bottles, pumps, or powder fumes? Get a really good quality springer that will do what you want. You will find something that will shoot ragged one hole groups at that range in a springer. It is self contained, ammo is a cheap as it gets. If you keep the muzzle inside the frame of the window you won't need anything to quite it down but if you decide that it needs to be suppressed there are plenty of aftermarket vendors.

=)

"T3PRanch"A subsonic bullet shaped projectile of 40 grains moving at 710 fps has the same ballistic and downrange characteristics regardless of what launched the projectile be it air or hot expanding gas!

Thurmond
I use those! 45 fpe and very quiet. My rimfires are not suppresses, but I bought ones that have long barrels and they can be as quiet as many airguns. See CZ 455 ultra lux with either a 25" or 29" barrel, its works.

The problem is they retain too much down range energy for in town use. A 30 fpe air gun will be safer.

23 yards, sounds like a back yard:

So just for safety, and liability issues rim-fire would be out of the question for me.

I have a small tree farm, 30 acres and i have a special area set up for my hand guns, shot guns and rifles, i wouldn't even contemplate shooting a powder burner if i was limited to a 23 yard area, not a chance.

Used responsibly, air guns are safer in that environment.

Good, reliable air guns can cost significantly more than a good .22 rim fire

I wouldn't enjoy air gunning if i had to hand pump a gun.

You would require air, scuba, scba so you need a close, reliable source of air, dive shop, paint ball shop or preferably buy your own compressor.

My air guns are all Marauders, cal 177, 22, and 25. They are good moderately priced guns and are very accurate out to 50 yards. They cost about 450 ea for the 22 and 177 and the 25, is the Armada so that was almost 700 dollars, with a scope and bi pod etc.. I have 150 dollar leaper tactical scopes on other two. I also have 2 scuba tanks, a SCBA tank and a Daystate 2 compressor, 3200 dollars, but a compressor gives you air independence, you can shoot all you want without considering air issues. There are cheaper air compressors, boosters etc. so several things to consider before getting into air gunning.

I shoot all three in my basement, 20 yards and out to 50 yards in an outside range.

Post what your budget would be for a gun, scope and air source and let some of the members give you recommendations for good all around air gun.

"Birdo"
"T3PRanch"A subsonic bullet shaped projectile of 40 grains moving at 710 fps has the same ballistic and downrange characteristics regardless of what launched the projectile be it air or hot expanding gas!

Thurmond
I use those! 45 fpe and very quiet. My rimfires are not suppresses, but I bought ones that have long barrels and they can be as quiet as many airguns. See CZ 455 ultra lux with either a 25" or 29" barrel, its works.

The problem is they retain too much down range energy for in town use. A 30 fpe air gun will be safer.
The Short CB at (29 gr at 710 fps) is about marauder level sound output IMHO! This round is about power equal with my Compatto in .25 (JSB 25.4's) though at around 28 to 30 ft/lb.

Thurmond

23 yards..................Lets see I have two FWB 300s and two Walther LRGs that would hit "whatever" in the eye. I have a Prod and a Mrod what would do the same. Also have a .22 Maximus that would also. My TX200 would of course. I would even trust my 2300kt to do that but it has a scope.

I have other rifles that go boom and if you really want excitement lets use my CZ.17 but the "whatever" would be missing a head. ;)

Off my back deck at 50 yards I reach for my .22 Mrod and 25 yards and less I guess I reach for the Prod. The Prod stays in the back of my teryx side by side in a case and gets used a lot.

"jonny75904"Looking in the $400 -$700 range. I'm definitely interested in the difference in all the marauders - it seems you've collected them all like happy meal toys.

What compressors do you recommend?
Each of the Marauders is a different gauge, 177, my first gun, very accurate, tack driver, stacks pellets in the same hole out to 25 yards. If you were going to use a hand pump, then go with a 177, you get more shots per pump.

The 22 i got for more power and it does deliver more power. I bought both of these guns in 2010. I am fortunate that the 22 i got has a super accurate barrel. But some have had issues with the 22 barrels.

Last year, I bought the 25, because i like the AR type rifle, used them in real life before.

But the larger the pellet the more air it takes to propel it, why i stated that if you hand pump go with the 177.

There are many choices out there for PCP rifles, i certainly wasn't aware of all the brands when i got into this sport, but since my Crosman M's were reliable and extremely accurate i stayed with the brand. Just as you might have a 410, 20 gauge or 12 gauge shot gun, or a 38, 357, 45. 9 mm etc handgun, you can also get different caliber air guns, thus my 177, 22 and 25.

A great sport, challenging to get good groups at a distance (100 yards). Thus the higher end guns and/or modifications to other guns.

The weak link in air gunning is AIR, without the air you can't shoot. So you analyze your personal situation, prioritize etc.

My M's were/are accurate and reasonably priced, pellets are pellets (larger more cost and you have to find the right one for your gun), I already had two scuba tanks, a good dive shop down the road so that is the way that i went, especially since i only fill my 177 and 22 to 2400 psi. And my tanks are 80 and a 117 that can be filled to 3442 psi.

Now the dive shop closes, i need air, so then bought a great compressor, and now shoot all the time without any concern for air.

The price of the gun is only part of the cost, you have consider the rest.

Make sure you have your air requirement covered, and it may be hand pumping.

You asked what compressor do a recommend? I can only rec what i have personnel knowledge of and that is the one that i have a Daystate 2, sold by AOA. Topping off any of my tanks 2100 to 3200 or 3000 to 4400 takes about 5 to 6 minutes. This is a great compressor and the most costly item i have for this sport. There are less expensive alternatives. Have to let those with first hand experience with them recommend them.

Thurmond
So given a negative point for stating fact. Tisk tisk. More manly to PM me and we could try to understand each others view points than leave an anonymous negative.

Let me spell it plainly then:

Same gun (therefore same twist). Same BULLET shaped projectile. Same end of barrel velocity equals EXACTLY the same ballistic properties whether the propellant was hot or cold gas.

Thurmond

"T3PRanch"

Thurmond
So given a negative point for stating fact. Tisk tisk. More manly to PM me and we could try to understand each others view points than leave an anonymous negative.

Let me spell it plainly then:

Same gun (therefore same twist). Same BULLET shaped projectile. Same end of barrel velocity equals EXACTLY the same ballistic properties whether the propellant was hot or cold gas.

Thurmond

I agree with you Thurmond..............but I don't know of a gun that uses hot or cold gases? And as long as the fps was the same at a set distance from the barrel? Maybe they didn't understand until you explained it was the same twist rate and same gun?