• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Rimfire v pellet gun barrels

I tried a couple searches for this and didn’t find anything. Can someone tell me the differences between rimfire barrels and pellet gun barrels? Are the dimensions different (assuming .22 caliber)? I.e., do the lands/grooves have the same dimensions? I’ve heard barrels used for pellet guns are softer material, but other than cost, is there any reason that you coludn’t use a rimfire barrel for a pellet gun (assuming that it is machined to fit).

no expert, but most pellet barrels i think run looser (or choked) and rely on the pressure on the pellet skirt to seat them down the barrel .. a regular .22 barrel would probably be on the tight side and reduce velocity .. but theres probably disparity amongst manufactures and even design .. bottom line is i would 'slug' whatever barrel i was thinking about using with a pellet and measure or compare it to a peelet gun barrel just to see ..

I think 22rf barrels are .222, 22 centerfires are .224.

Another problem is finding the right slug/bullet to shoot through a 22rf barrel. It's not plug and play as far as precision is concerned, as Mike N, likely AGN's leading authority on the subject will tell you.

If you do go the rimfire barrel route be prepared to have a "PROJECT" on your hands.

Check out the Voodoo and RimX stuff on the HIDE. Hyper accurate .22 rimfires are usually very ammo specific. Then when you think you’ve found the holy grail of ammo, the next lot # doesn’t shoot quite as precise and the search starts again! You buy a 5000 round case of same lot # when you can. With the highly increased interest in airgun technology I believe the barrel inside dimensions will become more standardized. That is why the benchrest sports are so important——the record winning technology always trickles down and becomes more affordable.

Yep, I have 2 RimX rifles, one in a competition setup and one in a hunting setup. And I got a case of lot-selected Center-X. Next project is to see if I can get the new Cutting Edge 22LR solids to work. :)

Looks like you have the money to order a Thomas HPX and Mike's slug barrel along with swaging dies. It's 95% a rimX with the best ammo for it. He sent me pics of a 20 shot group at 100Y that was mostly covered with a quarter, just a hair larger, about .8".