Rimfire or PCP

I love both,my most accurate .22 rimfire is an Anschulz model 54 Silhouette,known to be one of the best,I would put it up against Any PCP at 100 yards.
My other .22 rimfires are very old target Remingtons and a couple customs I built years ago,true not much Rugar left in them,but got less than $700 total in them.
Accuracy..at 50 yard 1/4 to 3/8 " for the custom Rugers,the Anschulz is an easy 3/4"at 100yds.
I shoot air rifles because I can do it in my backyard,.
Truth be told I have not shoot my .22 rimfires in a long time;Air rifle are much more conveniet and just as much fun.
Another truth, for a air rifle to out shoot a over 60 year old rimfire you may have to spend a lot more money.o_O

ps,most rimfire have bad triggers compared to air rifles.
The best air rifles will never beat the best rimfires until they do:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: beerthief
My Marlin Microgroove .22 WMR will shoot one hole groups at 100 yds and none of my PCPs will do that. Trouble is that the round will travel miles, LOL. My PCPs won’t do that either, thats why they get a lot more use.
Must be a really good barrel or something because .22 wmr ammo is known for not having any companies making match grade ammo. Even with a perfect gun its still hard to group really any better than quarter sized at best case scenario.

Reactions: HogKiller
Must be a really good barrel or something because .22 wmr ammo is known for not having any companies making match grade ammo. Even with a perfect gun its still hard to group really any better than quarter sized at best case scenario.
Last Saturday I zeroed out my semi-auto 22WMR at 125 yards and it will shoot less than 1/2 inch groups.
With Hornady v max 30gr it’s a prairie dog slaying machine.

In my case, I'm hunting squirrels and rabbits with the PCP rifle; 38 ft lbs. Anything heavy bodied like the piggies Manny shoots in Hawaii the HW100 would be lacking in enough power to get the job done. A rimfire rifle would make more sense in that particular application. Less shots fired, less potential accuracy actually needed, higher striking power needed, and no need for fooling with any air supply issues. There are always things to consider when choosing what to buy and use. Technically I could still be getting by with the first firearm that I ever got, a Stevens 16 gauge single shot shotgun. It would take all the squirrels and such that I shoot each year without ever have spent a dime on another gun in my life. But where's the fun in that?

Reactions: SteveV
I have been fortunate to have owned some very high quality RF and PCP rifles. In my experience, a precision quality RF, with properly matched ammo, will consistently shoot better than a comparable quality PCP. I have owned several BR quality rimfires that would consistently shoot small, one-hole 50 yard groups, assuming the right ammo. I've never owned a PCP that could consistently produce that result. My comments and experience relate strictly to air rifles shooting pellets. Given the right slug and barrel, I see no reason that an air rifle could not be as good as a rimfire. In fact, given the variables of metallic cartridge ammunition, the air rifle could be better. Precision accuracy with a RF requires a high quality rifle, but the technology of production is relatively simple when compared to an air rifle. Once the RF rifle is properly made, the shooter can forget about it and concentrate on ammo selection, which is no small task. There are no springs, O rings, or valves that can (will) defeat accuracy without notice. These are simply two different games. Sourcing and testing (and buying) RF ammo is such a challenge I gave up precision rimfire BR shooting, and sold two excellent Calfee rifles. I'd just rather spend my time doing something else. Success with either, as with many things, is just a matter of time and money. If you have the capacity to pursue both to their potential, then you have a full time job and a generous budget.

because I think a PCP in a SHTF is FUBAR

You can run a PCP compressor off a cheap solar panel/battery. Ebay hand pumps are cheap enough you can have a couple backups. The only limitations are your preparedness, redundancies, knowledge/repair skills for your gear, and supply of ammunition. I would think silence would be an even *greater* priority during a situation without rule of law. Nice to grab a squirrel for dinner (or bigger game) without alerting everyone within a couple mile radius, don't you think?

Haven't shot my rimfire in a while . But now the new "rimfire only" 50 an 100 yard range is open at my club . No more .223's shooting next to me !!!!
For those that have not experienced a .223 going off a few feet away , IT IS body shaking ! you feel it mostly deep inside your chest and head .

Reactions: Mr303
22rf has close to twice the BC of the common slugs, 3 times the BC of heavy pellets, and most people can't out guess the wind past a certain distance like by 50Y to compete with 22rf.
Some brands of 22 and 25 caliber slugs are exceeding 22rf now and show a lot of promise.

Probably best to compare pcp's to 22rf at cost and quality levels. High level and tuned pcp will often out perform a less expensive 22rf using less expensive ammo and the inverse is true as well.

If you are using good pellets or slugs in your pcp's that you've found to be precise then you should also use good rimfire ammo that is also found to be precise in 22rf for a fair comparison.

This test is a good read.
Yes, agree. I think the high end rimfires (not the Base Class) like Vudoo or Anschutz with top quality ammo still outperform the best of slug shooting air rifles. If you compare the slug airguns like the Panthera to the Base Class rimfires I think the airguns are actually as good as or better. We shot an NRL-22 match Sundy AM at Rio Salado, and out of our group there were four airguns and three Base Class rimfires. All but one of us had higher scores than all three of the three rimfire shooters. We had two .22 Panthera 700mm, one .25 Panthera 600mm and one .22 Impact.