Rimfire or PCP

Agreed, I sold all my rimfires. Why bother in my opinion. My 3 FX rifles will all outshoot most rimifle rifles off the shelf. I'm not comparing them to VooDoo or anything crazy just regular rimfire rifles Ruger 10/22 class and under. My FX guns win everytime, cheaper ammo, and super stealthy hunters. No question...PCP all the way
Even though I really enjoy my pcp's there is no way they would replace my rimfires out in the field. I go to shoot gophers starting with pcp's out to 75 yards, then .22 rimfire to 125 yards, then 17hmr and 22 mag for out to 175 or so. 17hmr and 22 mag has way way more pfe than smaller caliber pcp will ever be able to make.

Reactions: FarmPlinker
I have a CZ452 American, had a 452 Varmint, and have a 10/22 with a Volquartsen barrel and upgraded trigger and my FX Maverick will shoot smaller groups at 50 and 100 yards from what I've seen so far.

I do have some high end .22lr ammo. But both do well with CCI standard velocity 1080 fps and Blazers . My Maverick likes pellets 18gr and heavier at 50 yards or more. But will shoot one hole groups with 14.3 chps at 30 yards .

I have a CZ452 American, had a 452 Varmint, and have a 10/22 with a Volquartsen barrel and upgraded trigger and my FX Maverick will shoot smaller groups at 50 and 100 yards from what I've seen so far.

I do have some high end .22lr ammo. But both do well with CCI standard velocity 1080 fps and Blazers . My Maverick likes pellets 18gr and heavier at 50 yards or more. But will shoot one hole groups with 14.3 chps at 30 yards .
Group sizes and power are not the same thing though.

Agreed, I sold all my rimfires. Why bother in my opinion. My 3 FX rifles will all outshoot most rimifle rifles off the shelf. I'm not comparing them to VooDoo or anything crazy just regular rimfire rifles Ruger 10/22 class and under. My FX guns win everytime, cheaper ammo, and super stealthy hunters. No question...PCP all the way
Comparing FX PCP rifles to Ruger 10/22 class rim-fire rifles? Apples/Oranges comparison; not even in the same price category.

Reactions: FarmPlinker
Comparing FX PCP rifles to Ruger 10/22 class rim-fire rifles? Apples/Oranges comparison; not even in the same price category.
Agreed they aren't in the same price bracket. I'm referring to the capabilities. In my opinion only....my M3 Impact with punch paper with just as tight groups at 100yd or less than any big box store rimfire.

Agree 100% , have you shot suppressed 22 loads? Amazingly quiet.
Last week I was shooting my Marlin 60 with a supressor and CCI standard velocity 1070 fps and it's incredibly quiet, considering that it's a 100 FPE gun with that ammo I say I was extremely impressed How quiet it was.

Reactions: Rawroots
I own 4 rimfire’s that all will match any of my three PCP’s. One is from 1930, a Remington model twelve, Remington 514 from the early ’60’s, and two Ruger 10/22’s from whenever. Of course the Rugers have custom barrels and some other work. The Rem’s are bone stock, AND have iron sights. AND I have WAY less money in the 4 rimfires than the 3 PCP’s and air supply’s. That said, I shoot the air guns a lot more these days and enjoy them nearly as much as the pellet slingers. Beyond 50yds the rimfire’s win.
One reason I like the PCP’s is the science behind them. With rimfire, once you find the right ammo for your gun, the rest depends on your skill as a triggerman. The air gun technology is fascinating in that, the skill set goes beyond the powder burners, to the tuning of the gun. I believe it takes way more study and practice to be able to shoot air than it does powder. Just one old gunslinger’s opinion.

Reactions: Mr303 and Cody01
I own 4 rimfire’s that all will match any of my three PCP’s. One is from 1930, a Remington model twelve, Remington 514 from the early ’60’s, and two Ruger 10/22’s from whenever. Of course the Rugers have custom barrels and some other work. The Rem’s are bone stock, AND have iron sights. AND I have WAY less money in the 4 rimfires than the 3 PCP’s and air supply’s. That said, I shoot the air guns a lot more these days and enjoy them nearly as much as the pellet slingers. Beyond 50yds the rimfire’s win.
One reason I like the PCP’s is the science behind them. With rimfire, once you find the right ammo for your gun, the rest depends on your skill as a triggerman. The air gun technology is fascinating in that, the skill set goes beyond the powder burners, to the tuning of the gun. I believe it takes way more study and practice to be able to shoot air than it does powder. Just one old gunslinger’s opinion.
I have a 1946 Marlin 39A Lever action in excellent new condition. They say they are the most accurate lever action 22 you could buy before Marlin was sold to Remington.

Even though I really enjoy my pcp's there is no way they would replace my rimfires out in the field. I go to shoot gophers starting with pcp's out to 75 yards, then .22 rimfire to 125 yards, then 17hmr and 22 mag for out to 175 or so. 17hmr and 22 mag has way way more pfe than smaller caliber pcp will ever be able to make.
No poop

Does the accuracy of RF vs PCP really matter anyway? or for that matter how accurate does a PCP rifle need to be? Unless you are a competition shooter and there is money on the line how accurate do they need to be? As I mostly use air rifles for hunting almost any quality PCP is well within a minute of squirrel head accurate at any distance I would hunt with it. On paper if one group is within a dime and another is in a nickel does it really make any difference when I go hunting? PCP's have all the power you need to take most small game at ANY distance out to its maximum effective range.

Now that air rifles can shoot slugs and often have the same FPE as a rimfire I see no reason why someone would want to hunt with a rim fire any longer. You also get way more shooting opportunities with a PCP vs a rimfire and they are safer and quieter. I was helping rid a friends front yard of ground squirrels on a rural property ( 5 acres) on Saturday using my .25 Crown the location was perfect for a pellet rifle but no way could I have used a RF.

I get some people just like shooting PB's but from a practical point of view I think benefits of using PCP's far outweigh what RF's can offer.