Rimfire or PCP

20230326_081550.jpg
20230326_081550.jpg
20230326_081608.jpg

Reactions: mike_k10
I have a unicorn lefty CZ-452 with a crisp 4 ounce trigger I built for silhouette shooting. Will make cloverleaf patterns offhand. Loves the Eley .22 standard velocity. Will give my PCP's a run for the money.
I have the other unicorn lefty CZ452. The trigger isn't that light but it's light enough to be a good shooter. I'm looking forward to a day when I can make a range trip and get it out again.

I have the other unicorn lefty CZ452. The trigger isn't that light but it's light enough to be a good shooter. I'm looking forward to a day when I can make a range trip and get it out again.
The trigger mod was a lighter spring. Took about five minutes to replace the stock spring. Went from a hunting trigger to a target trigger. Highly recommended.

Reactions: 450BM
Yesterday i was curious what a 40 yard pattern from an old 22 rimfire would compare to pcp's, i used 6 different brands and the largest dia. Blazers were the tightest, I'm sure if it didn't have a 8 pound trigger it would have been improved, PCP's won hands down. Anybody else dusted off their rimfire lately?
That Winchester would probably do a lot better if the trigger didn't come out when you cycle the action. They are fun plinkers though. I would lose what I call the"peeky boo scope rings". They aren't helping anything. I think my model 52 would give your pcp some comp.

Reactions: maxtrouble
22rf has close to twice the BC of the common slugs, 3 times the BC of heavy pellets, and most people can't out guess the wind past a certain distance like by 50Y to compete with 22rf.
Some brands of 22 and 25 caliber slugs are exceeding 22rf now and show a lot of promise.

Probably best to compare pcp's to 22rf at cost and quality levels. High level and tuned pcp will often out perform a less expensive 22rf using less expensive ammo and the inverse is true as well.

If you are using good pellets or slugs in your pcp's that you've found to be precise then you should also use good rimfire ammo that is also found to be precise in 22rf for a fair comparison.

This test is a good read.

Reactions: dorcula
Both my Anschutz Rimfires ( 64 MPR 64 Action with a bull barrel and my 1907 54 action match single load ) are considerably more accurate at 50 and 100 yards than any of my PCP’s. This true whether shooting groups or for score. Both have match 2-stage triggers that break between 4-6 oz).

I save all of my range paper targets ( N50, EBR 100 yard ) and my personal experience is that the Rimfires are easier to score with vs. PCPs with good ammo. Even with average ammo, both rifles shoot more accurately than my PCPs. The Thomas air rifles are the exception in terms of parity, but those are extremely accurate especially the slug guns that shoot 40g slugs. If you look at the N50 match results there are some very good scores with Thomas HPX, FX Crowns and RAWs at 50 yards, but those are also very accomplished N50 Competition shooters achieving those scores.

My Benchrest PCPs - I have a Boss .30 Caliber, RAW HM1000x .22 HP, Daystate Redwolf Safari .22 HP. All shoot very well also, but there is still a clear edge going to the two Annie’s.

I love both disciplines and enjoy shooting both RF and PCPs frequently.

My Winchester 75 will out plink my higher end PCP’s ( FX Impact 2 and Daystate Revere ) if the wind is up or the temps are way down below freezing.
My Revere is just crazy accurate out to 50 yards. If I’m squirrel hunting in the fall the powder burners hang out with my other Safe Queens . Also with the Revere one shot doesn’t run all the game away like the retort from a powder burner does, so I get more shots at game over the time I’m afield. I’ve never run out of air once I’ve charged the Revere.I’m not out there taking 50 shots a day at Grey and red Squirrels. I pack a small buddy bottle Somme times if I know I will want to do some plinking some where along the trail.
Bottom line….I’m 74 and have been a walnut and steel Winchester.22 guy since I was a kid.But I take the Revere over them now for short rang ( <50 Yards) plinking and for squirrels.

My Winchester 75 will out plink my higher end PCP’s ( FX Impact 2 and Daystate Revere ) if the wind is up or the temps are way down below freezing.
My Revere is just crazy accurate out to 50 yards. If I’m squirrel hunting in the fall the powder burners hang out with my other Safe Queens . Also with the Revere one shot doesn’t run all the game away like the retort from a powder burner does, so I get more shots at game over the time I’m afield. I’ve never run out of air once I’ve charged the Revere.I’m not out there taking 50 shots a day at Grey and red Squirrels. I pack a small buddy bottle Somme times if I know I will want to do some plinking some where along the trail.
Bottom line….I’m 74 and have been a walnut and steel Winchester.22 guy since I was a kid.But I take the Revere over them now for short rang ( <50 Yards) plinking and for squirrels.

Holden

I also have a Revere .22 caliber, and 100% agree about it being very accurate to 50 yards. It is my backyard squirrel gun and I also use for 30 yard challenge and N50 paper targets occasionally.

This is why I like both platforms. Each has a unique purpose and provides enjoyment.

Reactions: maxtrouble
I still like shooting my Ruger 10/22 but it is customized with a Volquartsen trigger and CST bolt group.
Going to be setting up a suppressed 22 and have not decided on a Volquartsen Summit or Bergara. Still waiting for the suppressor to clear.
Meanwhile shooting my Daystate Tsar .177 which is just a pleasure as it is accurate and quiet. Sold my FX Maverick .25 and trying to decide to replace it with an Edgun Leshiy or the FX Panthera or????

Reactions: Mr303