• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A Rifle set up to shoot 2 different pellets/slugs

I have a Bullshark 177 set up primarily for 10 gr knockout slugs at 970 fps. It shoots 13gr jsb pellets at 900 fps. They group alright, but I’m sure would be a little better slower.

I also have a 22 cal BRK Concept Lite XR. It shoots 18 and 16 gr jsb well. Currently it’s tuned to 18 grain. These are my speeds at the different TP settings:
1 867
2 830
3 715
4 500

Zeroes at 20 yards at max power, #3 setting is 10 moa holdover, #4 is 20MOA holdover.

The barrel twist rate has a lot to do with slug vs pellet, so it’s hard to get something that does the both well.

Reactions: skeeekerz
I'm curious if anyone has tried having an air rifle set up to shoot 2 (or more) different pellets on the same tune (e.g. JSB 18.13gr @885fps + hades 15.89 @ 930? fps) Or maybe if your rifle has a high/low adjustable transfer port, have high set up for slugs and low for pellets. Any insight or experience appreciated
Yes, it can be done and many do. Meticulous keeping of notes, to remember what settings mean what? Lots of sending pellets to know what’s happening with “your” particular rig. After all that “effort“ you just “in theory” turn a dial and achieve another consistent tune. multiple guns for different tasks. Like tools in a toolbox…🙏

Reactions: Dairyboy
My Maverick shooting 13 gr slugs well at 960, also shoot the Beast pellets well at ??? a slower speed
Mind you in .177 there is no difference in the regular and heavy barrels, so this is with the heavy barrel

In general though i would recommend several rifles for different tasks, CUZ i have dialed for days on end ( almost literally ) on my Maverick and Vulcan 3, trying to shoot everything with them both, and really that have been a waste of my time.

IF FX make a new Heavy barrel for the .177 caliber that can also shoot heavy stuff, well my Maverick will get that and only shoot 20 grain from then on.
My Vulcan 3 i want to sell / replace with something more hard hitting, CUZ i have realized that getting out there in the night shooting rats, that is not going to happen for me, and so no need for a moderate power compact rifle.
Also shooting 50 M, not really my thing, and even if so my long rifle / hard hitters can also do that just fine.
It is just overkill to shoot blades of grass at 25 M with 35 - 40 foot pound of power, but i also admit i have never been the underkilling kind of guy in anything.

Let's see. I've got my DreamTac in .177 set up to shoot JSB Monsters at 880 FPS, JSB Heavies at 925 FPS, JSB Diablo at 827 FPS and finally, JSB Express at 600 FPS. All are accurate. Settings can be dialed in at will. I spend a lot of time shooting the light pellets at 30 yards and in. A week or two ago, I was able to switch tunes for a single shot and take out a chipmunk at 50 yards and then go right back to low powered target shooting. Tune for your heaviest projectile and then adjust settings for lighter stuff. Then make sure it's repeatable and you have dope for everything. You will need to compromise on efficiency for this, but with proper preparations, you can do some pretty cool stuff.

Reactions: W.Sheid
I'd say that if you really want this flexibility, then nothing will beat a Huben K1 (although a Sidewinder is similar, but not as good at this). The power wheel allows for repeatable and massive swings in power either with a single pellet, or with anything the gun shoots well.

Mine is a .22 and I generally keep the mag loaded with just the JTS 18.1 grain pellet, and my "base" setting with it has it shooting at ~920 fps and this is where I keep the scope zeroed. I can then easily move the power up or down as needed in a range of ~1050 fps down to about 350 fps, and I've played around with it over the chrony and with testing I've learned the holdovers well.

Just a bit ago I was out on my deck checking for groundhogs, and I spotted a chipmunk in the garden less than 10 yards away, so I clicked it down to 750, but missed him in the plants. He then darted next to the foundation, so I dropped it to 500 fps, but did not get a shot before he ran under the deck . Then he ran out right below me, so for a safe shot straight down with no ricochet back I dropped it to about 350 fps and popped him. Then switched it back to 920 to continue my quest for groundhogs.

I've done the same with other pellets it likes, like the JSB Monsters and Hades. I've even tested it loading an alternating selection of three pellets and shot each at different power levels (adjusting between shots) at three different targets (one for each pellet and tune) and ended up with three good groups - so its very repeatable between changes in settings and pellets.

This would work even better with a digital scope too - maybe someday . . . .

My Impact M3 Compact will shoot 22Cal Hades, and Nielsen 17.5g at virtually the same poi/poa at 50yds without making any adjustments. However the poi changes at different distances due to the difference in projectile performance. Velocity is also slower with the slugs at you would expect. Accuracy is also virtually the same. I think my setup is a combination of educated strategy and lots of luck. I have other setups that wont shoot two different ammos well at the same settings. And I know there are literally thousands of air guys out there that have wasted lots of time and money trying to find that magical balance.

So in summary; Id say it is certainly possible, but to expect it to be the case for your setup is just wishful thinking. The odds are stacked against us all. :cry:

I have an avenger so in my case it would have to be on the same tune. Once when I had the reg all the way up and the hammer spring all the way in I tried shooting a group with cphp and was surprised at how accurate they were still. I don't remember measuring and I don't think I have a picture but I'm pretty sure it was still sub inch at 30 yds, 3 shot group.

I'm curious if anyone has tried having an air rifle set up to shoot 2 (or more) different pellets on the same tune (e.g. JSB 18.13gr @885fps + hades 15.89 @ 930? fps) Or maybe if your rifle has a high/low adjustable transfer port, have high set up for slugs and low for pellets. Any insight or experience appreciated
This has been important for me too, because I like shooting and the heavy pellets get really expensive. I like to be able to shoot 18s really accurately and a lot more often, but also throw in some 25s when I need maximum accuracy or when shooting further out.

The exact same tune can be a little harder if you are taking about maximum performance for both, but because you mentioned adjusting a power wheel or transfer port, that makes it easier to have rifles shooting multiple pellets extremely well with minimal changes. It depends on how close the two pellets are and the speeds you want to shoot. I don’t shoot slugs. Only tried for about a week.

In my experience…A couple examples…
1) Red Wolf - Goes for the other wolfs too, but because you have the different tunes programmed, it is as easy as turning a transfer port on another rifle. I could shoot 18gr as good or better than 25gr on some days. Not really what you asked because they really are separate tunes, but because it is so easy to switch settings, it could apply (loosely).
2) FX Crown - Set up to shoot 25gr and 18gr. I could leave the reg alone and just change the power wheel from Min to Max, and both shot stellar. One of the best shooting rifles I have owned with both pellets. It was set up at a nice balance on the reg to handle both power levels.

Other rifles didn’t work as well for me, like the FX Impact. I tried to replicate what I had above with the Crown, but the Impact had so much more power/plenum/air, I couldn’t find a reg setting as accurate with both pellets without also adjusting the reg/tune.

I have set up my Snowpeak P35 (.177) to shoot 3 different pellets with the same tune.

JSB Monster, 13.43gr @869fps
JSB Monster RD-s 13.43gr @858fps
JSB Beast 16.20gr @808fps

Scope zeroing for those 3 pellets is same, 30m/32yd. With Monster&Monster RD it holds zero (no need to hold or dial up/down) from 25m to 32m. With Beast from 24m to 32m.