• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Rifle Rest - Custom Precision One of a Kind

Hello everyone,

A couple of months ago I decided to design and build a Precision Rifle Rest for my benchrest shooting and this is what I came up with. I wanted it to be extremely precision and at the same time be versatile to accept any style of rifle with a standard stock and or a tactical stock. I also wanted it to have enough weight to be very stable but light enough to be portable so it could be taken to the rifle range. I spent just over three weeks doing the design in AutoCAD and then almost two weeks assembling and building.

I designed the Main Base, the Adapter Plate and the Rear Rest Bracket out of ½ inch thick aluminum plate, which I had cut to shape with a waterjet machine. I installed Brass Threaded Inserts everywhere I used stainless steel hardware so as to eliminate any galvanic corrosion or possible galling. I installed three Leveling Screws to establish a “three-point mounting” that allows the unit to be stable on almost any surface. The rear Leveling Screw is “static” to establish a negative stance on the Base.

For windage control I installed a heavy duty Precision Linear Slide that is extremely positive and operates as smooth as silk. I designed the Adapter Plate to mount on the top center of the Linear Slide so that I could then mount the “Z-Axis” control for elevation. The Elevation Control gives me 50+ inches of vertical movement out at just 10-meters, and of course a lot more out at 25-yards and further.

The Front Rest Yoke was fabricated out of stainless 3/8-inch round rod and covered with a soft plastic tube to grip, hold and protect the rifle. I made two different Rear Rest Yokes, one is designed for any Standard Rifle Stock and the other designed for a Tactical Style of stock. Both Rear Rest Yokes are also made using stainless 3/8-inch round rod and covered with soft plastic tube. There is zero movement when a rifle is placed in the two Yokes, this make the rifle ROCK SOLID.

I am really enjoying using this unit and consider all the work worth the time and effort.

ThomasT

TPRR-500A.jpg
TPRR-501A.jpg
TPRR-502A.jpg
TPRR-503A.jpg
TPRR-504A.jpg

Nice job ThomasT, that will definitely tighten up the groups!
Good morning @davelarson

It surely has already. This thing is so solid on my bench that when I fine tune in on the Bullseye and place the cross hairs dead center, I can relax and take my time to shoot because there is NO movement. Any deviation in the POI will be the result of the pellet or the wind 😁 .

Hope you are staying busy and staying warm.
Have a great day,
ThomasT

That Looks Sweet!! Nice Job Thomas. Agree with Dave...that's gonna keep your shots tight. Really would like to grab a front rest one of these days. But for know, it's just my bags. Excellent! The Ozark is really a nice looking rifle ..it's appeal is growing..especially the way you're shooting it!
Mike
Hello @manabeknives

Thank you Mike, and I am really enjoying the Niksan Ozark-TW, it feels good to shoot and is becoming pretty dog-gone accurate.

ThomasT

• Love
Reactions: manabeknives
beautiful work , you have to loosen 4 screws to adjust the rear ?
Hello @beerthief

No, there is no adjustment needed to the Rear Rest. I made two different Yokes and they simply slip into the 3/8" socket. One Yoke is for "standard" rifle stock ( see photo of Sniper XR ), and the other Yoke is for Tactical Style Stocks ( see photo of Ozark-TW ).

Thank you,
ThomasT

Last edited:
Nice job @ThomasT ! You might consider allowing the rear yoke to swivel to prevent any torque binding when you are indexing the windage cross slide.
Hello @igolfat8

Great minds work in the same ...... something 😁 . It does Tim, the Yoke itself is welded to a vertical piece of 3/8" stainless round rod and simply slips into the hole drilled down into the Rear Rest.

ThomasT

Nice work Thomas.
I did mine last (long enough Canadian) winter, I have only one Impact so predicting dimensions was much easier for me, also 3d printed a lot for R&D.
The one piece rest makes a life much easier at the bench. I like to zoom in all the way into center, nomore seeing my breathing in the ring.
The next big project would be the thomasair remote trigger :)

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT