• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Rifle recommendation? Power like the Diana 34. Quiet like the HW30

Hello all, I got the air rifle bug. Recently purchased the HW30 and Diana 34. Backyard noise is a top concern. Not shooting more than 50 yards. 

Love the size and quality of the smaller HW30. Measure 39" inches (.22 cal)

Love the power of the Diana 34 measure 46 1/2" inches. (.22 cal)

I want to stick to pump/break barrel rifle. Shorter the better. Breakdown backpack size would be awesome because I go on hikes and camping allot. Do you know how much fun it would be to shoot and eat a squirrel? lol 

Any short / backpack guns out there that have the power ft lbs of a Diana 34, and the size of HW30 or smaller? But are also quiet...

1592876513_5087630885ef15de15309d1.54273012.JPG
1592876513_2541032825ef15de17b09e3.73732256.JPG
1592876513_3886852985ef15de1926e60.12243790.JPG

That's a tall order there without going pcp. A PCP and a handpump would be your best place to start. But the smaller the gun, the quicker you run out of air, and that may be a problem on an extended trip. From your description I assume a self-contained gun may be what you are after. 

A lot of guys build Crosman 1322 pistols into somewhat powerful carbines. I don't do the Crosman thing so I'm not the guy to ask, but maybe someone else can steer you down that road. Google Crosman Backpacker to get an idea. 

And as a long time squirrel Hunter and eater, cooking one at home is hard enough and cooking one on a campfire would be a real challenge unless you stewed it or something. If you don't cook em right, it's like trying to eat the sole of your boot 😬 

Have fun bud, sounds like your idea of fun is the same as mine! 

That's a tall order there without going pcp. A PCP and a handpump would be your best place to start. But the smaller the gun, the quicker you run out of air, and that may be a problem on an extended trip. From your description I assume a self-contained gun may be what you are after. 

A lot of guys build Crosman 1322 pistols into somewhat powerful carbines. I don't do the Crosman thing so I'm not the guy to ask, but maybe someone else can steer you down that road. Google Crosman Backpacker to get an idea. 

And as a long time squirrel Hunter and eater, cooking one at home is hard enough and cooking one on a campfire would be a real challenge unless you stewed it or something. If you don't cook em right, it's like trying to eat the sole of your boot 😬 

I always soak small game in salted water overnight. Draws out the blood and turns the flesh white like chicken. If you get the squirrels early they should be done soaking by dinner time. Boil squirrel in with chicken bullion cubes and a little pepper. Cook over a bed of coals. Not the fire. Roll some taters in foil tightly with a pat of butter (butter inside the foil is the secret to awesome bakes. You'll see why). Lay in the coals 20 min first side. 15 min on second side then try poking them for doneness.. When you flip the taters put a big can of good baked beans with a hole poked in the top up close to the coals. Eat.

Soup

You can add chopped celery, thin sliced with your peeler carrot (cooks fast), and diced onions to the squirrel boil. Then add some corn and broken spaghetti noodles. Pluck the meat while the corn and noodles cook and return it to the soup. Eat up. Don't tell the kids they'll think it's chicken soup.. Hearty. and good.

And as a long time squirrel Hunter and eater, cooking one at home is hard enough and cooking one on a campfire would be a real challenge unless you stewed it or something. If you don't cook em right, it's like trying to eat the sole of your boot
1f62c.svg

I always soak small game in salted water overnight. Draws out the blood and turns the flesh white like chicken. If you get the squirrels early they should be done soaking by dinner time. Boil squirrel in with chicken bullion cubes and a little pepper. Cook over a bed of coals. Not the fire. Roll some taters in foil tightly with a pat of butter (butter inside the foil is the secret to awesome bakes. You'll see why). Lay in the coals 20 min first side. 15 min on second side then try poking them for doneness.. When you flip the taters put a big can of good baked beans with a hole poked in the top up close to the coals. Eat.

Soup

You can add chopped celery, thin sliced with your peeler carrot (cooks fast), and diced onions to the squirrel boil. Then add some corn and broken spaghetti noodles. Pluck the meat while the corn and noodles cook and return it to the soup. Eat up. Don't tell the kids they'll think it's chicken soup.. Hearty. and good.

A soaking in red wine overnight. Great on wild game. 

I was in the exact same place as you. I have an HW30s, and an R9. I live in a development where we all have half acres and I have a 20 yard range that no one knows about, and I need to keep it really quiet. I was looking for the exact type of airgun you are, and I found the perfect one. Now, its not a springer. ITs the Marauder pistol carbine. IT has a tiny tank so you get the kit and pump it up fast then you have 40 shots of .22 at 700fps that are really quiet. 10 more pumps and you are shooting again. Its like having the Benjamin 392, only quiet, smaller, and with a detachable pump. The kit comes with the carbine stock and the pump and scope too. And it breaks down and fits in a backpack. I am actually not too partial to PCPs, but I think in my case, and maybe yours, its the perfect solution.

I bought a 1322 for my 6yo son to use as nice rifles were too heavy for him. He is now 8yo, and we have added a shoulder stock, steel breech, dot scope, and 14.5" barrel. It's an "ok" little gun, but I cannot say I am very happy with the overall quality of the gun. It just feels cheap, and I am looking for a higher quality gun my son can use. 

jimaok I like your suggestion of the Marauder PCP pistol, but the review I watched said that after roughly 40 shots it would require 80-100 pumps to get it back up to pressure. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGHBVAHCFYY I am just curious what is a good estimate. I really like the "thought" of a PCP but sure don't want to pump it as many times as suggested in the video. 

Your right Jonshonda. I had to go back and watch the review again. But still 2 pumps a shot using the pump like a bicycle pump, thats not too bad. Plus, you are not lifting it off the bags between every shot if you are bench shooting it like a springer. And if you get 40 good shots, you wouldnt even need the pump on a hunt, I never get to shoot that much when hunting. If I did start crow hunting which I am thinking of trying, you would want to bring the pump and top it off, but I bet you could do that in under 5 minutes. I dont have one yet, but that will be my next one. Hopefully this summer some time.