Review New Air Cooled Carette 4500psi Pt.1 added Pt.2

Carette is set to release it's new 3 stage Air Cooled PCP compressor. The test unit is 220v , Bosun has informed me that the 110VAC motor will be available in 90 to 120 days. This first of 4 parts will cover unboxing / specification and components, Pt2. will be breakin run and tank topoffs. Pt.3 will cover complete fills of 74Cuft and 120Cuft CF tanks with time, temps, water development, air quality. in the stats. Pt.4 will be results of internal inspection of components for after 20hrs of run time.

Quick Specs: 4500PSI 3 stage Air Cooled 1.5cfm (45L), 220VAC 8.1 amp 60Hz Motor 1450rpm, Splash lubrication, Steel rings. Single stage filterless Oil/Water piton tube style seperator w manual drain, 2 Stage molecular sieve filter housed in stainless internal canister. Intermediate coolers. Electro/pneumatic pressure cutoff switch (internal adjustment), a seperate master switch. Fill Line incorporates a 2 inch HP gauge and DIN 300 connector and line drain valve (A DIN 200 connector is also available.). Frame is steel is construction, Weight 83lbs, Dimensions L21" x W19" x H18"

20210504_103645.1622908632.jpg
20210504_103631.1622908112.jpg
20210531_144323.1622908123.jpg
20210504_103740.1622908161.jpg

Unit was shipped in a large CB box with a small wood internal frame for support. Box included a seperate accesories kit that included spare molecular sieve beads and filter pads, Crankcase Oil breather, small bottle of Oil (Oil provided was not enough to fill the crankcase after speaking with factory they approved Secolube 500 oil for initial testing). 

The frame is well constructed the welds are clean and it is well suited for the unit. The handle is easy to reach and follows back to the rear were 2 rubber wheels allow the unit to be lifted and rolled around quite easily. 8 rubber pads cushion the frame from the floor and keep vibration to a minumum. The riser mount is part of the frame and provides a very sturdy platform for the compressor, mounting bolts are good sized and lock the unit down well. 

Electric is provided via a master power switch, this feeds the power to the electric /pnuematic pressure switch controlling shutoff. (Type you find on a standard compressor) There is no external adjustment you must remove the cover and rotate the set screw inside. Meaning adjust turn up or down, replace cover, run, see where compressor stops, remove cover then readjust if required replace cover test again. This motor is 220VAC drawing 8 amps at 1450rpm, it has both start and run capacitors. Reset thermal overload protection is in the system. Shutoff air pressure is measured at the oil/water seperator tower. Cooling is provided in large part for the motor and compressor by a 12 inch 7 blade fan housed in a wire welded cage, powered by the rear motor shaft.
20210504_104040.1622908181.jpg
20210531_144323.1622908210.jpg
20210531_144329.1622908216.jpg
20210531_144310.1622908226.jpg

Compressor crankcase is the typical aluminum trapzoid design you see on many 2 cylinder units, however the second cylinder head houses both 2nd and 3rd stage pistons in a side by side configuration. The cylinder walls are thicker than most compressors, the cylinder heads are heavy duty especially cylinder 2. The cooling fins are deep and thick to aid cooling. Crankcase has typical oil site glass, drain plug and air breather. Each stage is connected via stainless steel heavy duty airlines that are routed to capture airflow from the 12 inch 7 blade cooling fan to help cool the compressed air. Cylinders utilze hardened steel liners and steel piston rings. Precision machined intake and exhaust valves.

diag2.1622908751.jpg
piston1.1622908755.jpg
piston2.1622908760.jpg

Airflow starts at paper intake filter housed in sturdy plastic and screws in to the cylinder head , after the first stage air is sent to stage 2 via SS airline coil under the frame and in the path of airflow from the cooling fan. From the second stage thru SS airline coil on the side of the compressor frame in the path of airflow from the cooling fan. 3rd stage passes thru SS line to the oil water seperator. Each SS line becomes progressivley smaller after each stage of compression. Tower type oil/water seperator but with no filter. A piton tube setup is utilized. (Air enters bottom of cylinder and exits thru piton tube opening near top of of seprator tube. leaving water and contaminants behind). This housing is were the pressure switch mounts and detects air pressure. A 5100psi burst disk is also located in the wall of the Oil/Water seperator. A manual water drain is provided for purging. Air is then passed to a 2 stage molecular filter, 2 passes are made within the stainless cartridge insert , filter disk seperate the chambers. A manual drain is provided to release air pressure from the fill line in this canister. The tank fill line connects to the sieve canister and has a 2.5 inch HP gauge a DIN 300 connector and another manual drain. 

20210504_104450.1622908246.jpg
20210504_104128_HDR.1622908252.jpg
20210531_144329.1622908266.jpg
20210531_144404.1622908273.jpg
small hole here for air flow out.1622908511.jpeg
20210531_144415.1622908420.jpg
20210504_104600_HDR.1622908326.jpg
20210504_104758.1622908339.jpg

This Carette is very stout from the frame to the cylinders upon first look. Not a big fan of the pressure switch setup but will see how it does for runtime tests. The filter setup should provide good removal of moisture for final output, but still undecided on Piton tube setup for Oil water seperator. Overall the unit looks to be built to handle the stress developed during run time, the cooling tubes should provide a decent amount of temp control for the air between cylinders to help prevent overheating.

Will be posting part 2 and part 3 over next couple of days.

Looks like a upgraded Yong Heng with a Tuxing filter. What is the estimated price range?

I got this from their YouTube channel

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002416458803.html

so looking at $1700 with shipping

That Aliexpress link states $1,599 price and $309.43 shipping to the US. So, $1908.43 shipped to the US if no tax.

Cost was 1399 when I pulled the link, I swear 😜

I know my math can be sketchy, but not that bad. And as stated at that price range possibly less interesting. However should not be such a surprise as the previous generation of Carette sold for,around the same

That thing will crash and burn.

Uneven load bearing and insufficient cooling.

Almost ewerything has been tried and found less sufficient.

But please do a side to side comparison to a Coltri MCH-3 for, say 400-500 hours and then lets compare notes?

And i'm not biased and what not! If you supply your compressor to my door i'll buy a Coltri MCH-3 and do the tests for free?

I have several 6,8liter 300 bar CF bottles so i can run at least a full 8 hours of continues test a day.

And if your compressor works out 100% without faults then i will pay you 100% of your asking price?

How's that for a challange?

But please do a side to side comparison to a Coltri MCH-3 for, say 400-500 hours and then lets compare notes?

And i'm not biased and what not! If you supply your compressor to my door i'll buy a Coltri MCH-3 and do the tests for free?

I have several 6,8liter 300 bar CF bottles so i can run at least a full 8 hours of continues test a day.

And if your compressor works out 100% without faults then i will pay you 100% of your asking price?

Why would you buy the MCH3? Configured for airguns from Nuvair, the MCH3 costs about the same as an MCH6. The only good reason to get an MCH3 is if you only have access to a 20amp 110v outlet.

The MCH3 is a three stage unit. The MCH6 is 220v four stage unit, faster, more cooling stages.

PART 2: Carette Break in Run and 74cuft. Tank

The compressor is utilizing Secolube500 in the crank, fill tanks located in tank cage, 220VAC 8.1 amps, 13x molecular sieve utilized in two stage filter tower. All temps checked with calibrated laser temp gun.
The initial 10 min breakin went as planned with no issues from the compressor, Breakin was completed with no load drains open line open. Carette
ran good with no audible or seen mechanical issues. I have provided a sheet outlining the breakin temps in 5 minute increments. Temps are well within the specs provided by Bosun at the factory, A plug was inserted in output line. A complete leak test was performed and none were found. Pressure switch was adjusted a couple of times with runs to determine shutdown we settled on 4450psi. The current switch is overly sensative of turns on the spring. I have spoken to Bosun on this issue and they are in the process of incorporating a electronic adjustable pressure control.
breakin.1623612480.jpg

Compressor is utilizing Secolube500 in the crank, fill tanks located in tank cage, 220VAC 8.1 amps, 13x molecular sieve utilized in two stage filter tower. All temps checked with calibrated laser temp gun. Fill was completed on a Oemga 74Cuft tank w DIN300 starting pressure in tank 900psi. Ambient air 88 deg. 65% humidity. Temperatures were monitored each 5 minutes of runtime. this included cylinders, heads, crank, motor and air tubes. Water/oil seperator was drained each 5 minutesd of runtime and recorded. Overall the compressor ran well there was no issues with mechanics and temps were within the specs provided by the factory. Air pressure built quickly as expected then averaged to approx. 500 psi each 5 minutesafter 2700psi. The operation was smooth and very little vibration, noise level I would say is medium even with the fan blade you can hear a person speaking a few feet away. THe unit definantly get hot to the touch so caution should be used around the unit. THe fan is housed in a welded cage and does a good job of cooling the unit, as the temps do perform an increasing climb the fan will help keep them from running over factory specs. The air cooling tubes are in the fan air flow but I am not sure of there overall effectivness when it comes to the final stage output. One thing I noticed ois the 74CUft tank became very hot during the fill cycle it reach 113.9 degrees which is over the rated temp for ST air. I will be exploring more on the outlet air temps in the next few days.

The fill time was very good 35minutes to bring the tank from 900psi to 4450psi, the compressor did not struggle with the increasing pressure in was producing. The noise level remained the same and there was no increased vibratrion as the pressure increased. The carrette shutdown at the expected 4450psi setpoint, final line drain was completed and all lines disconnected. However if you look at the chart provided due to the high tank temp, a 400psi loss was evident in the tank pressure after cooling down.
During the run the Oil /Water seperator was opened every 5 minutes, the compressor produced a couple of tablespoons of water at first, by the 30 minute mark it was producing 4 or more Table spoons, but note that is was very humid here at the time of the tests. The Carette also takes a bit to cool down after 30 minutes of rest the cylinder walls were at 115 degrees.
Overall the Carrette performed well and fill times are very good, the unit is somewhat portable but built very stout. I am not a fan of the pressure switch setup, that is being addressed by the factory now, the filters and seperators work well in removing water vapor from the air system and there was no contaminants in the final air output. The cooling tubes do work to a point, but further look into the tank high air temp registered during the fill cycle will be needed. So far the Carette has done well with a couple of items we have noted. A final overview will be completed and posted in a couple days I have included the data from the first fill run for you.

74cufill.1623612578.jpg

Why would you buy the MCH3? Configured for airguns from Nuvair, the MCH3 costs about the same as an MCH6. The only good reason to get an MCH3 is if you only have access to a 20amp 110v outlet.

The MCH3 is a three stage unit. The MCH6 is 220v four stage unit, faster, more cooling stages.

Because the MCH3 is also a 3 stage compressor in the 40+liter~1½cft/min range. And it didnt do so good due to them omitting the thierd stage piston and fed directly from the second into the fourth stage piston. That introduces uneven bearing/crank wear.

For me it would be a nobrainer in getting a Coltri MCH6 for some €2100~$2500 delivered to my door instead of getting this China compressor at some $1900+25% Danish WAT ($2375). Coltri even has retailers in this little greasespeck on the globe called Denmark.

Member "bosun" asked me to do a one year test of the compressor without payment in return of fair review and if the compressor didnt break i would pay the full amount.

I'm game for that except for the following:

I live in Denmark (EU) so a Coltri MCH6 delivered to my door is roughly €2100~$2500 including WAT

A Carette is roughly $1900+ 25% Danish WAT~$2375

Now a true and (20+ years) tested 4 stage compressor doing 100l/min~3½cfm for $2500 versus an unproven china compressor doing barely half of that (they state 40l/min~1½cfm) for nearly the excact same amount! Would i be daft to accept the "offer"?

If i buy a product from abroad (asia) i have no guarntee at all, except whats written in the thread (and that aint no much good!) . And theyll run from it (like caocroaches from light). Now as a standard in Europe i have a full two years of guarantee no questions asked.

So why would i accept this offer?

U.S. customers will have U.S. dealers to service this compressor when it is released. Your statement is totally off base with respect to the Carette manufacturer. When the current U.S. distributor dropped the ball on service, the manufacturer stepped up for their customers to contact them directly. Some Chinese companies selling generic el cheapo compressors might disappear, but it is totally false to post that in this thread about this company. Anyone believing that needs to check out the following link.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/after-sales-support-from-manufacturer-of-carette-compressor-in-china/

I have rethunk my "issues" and messaged "bosum" directly that i will be game for his offer given certain rules.

How much use within a year, and what counts as a break down.

If he will offer a complete cylinder/piston and valve kit with the compressor for a years servie (for me) then i expect everyone gets the same.

I have stated that since it's a 40liter/min~1½cft/min i will run at least 20-30min a day with heaver use during the summer and less during vinter.

Waiting