Results with a Huma Regulator

This past summer, for the first time in 5 or 6 years, my FX Boss started acting strangely. Got together with Mike Bricker (Centercut) & he helped me tear it down, re-seal it & gave me a newer OEM reg to fix the problem. Ultimately, it did not help. Mike suggested I try a new Huma reg. My Boss has ALWAYS been incredibly accurate, shooting JSB, 44.75GR Diabolo pellets but that is the ONLY pellet it would shoot. Never had any luck with Hades, Polymags or 50gr Diabolo. It just wouldn't shoot them well at 835-845FPS. Got a Huma reg (very fast response & shipping, 3 days) & installed it. Aside from installing it backwards the1st time (it goes in OPPOSITE from OEM reg) the process was easy. The most time consuming part was tuning it & even that wasn't bad. My Boss is shooting around 885-895FPS now. Accuracy is still superb but here's the part that still blows me away & makes me smile. It now has the power to ACCURATELY shoot Hades, 50gr Diabolo & yes, even Polymags accurately (& of course the 44.75 Diabolo) but what I NEVER expected was the shot count. I used to get 3 to 3 & a half 9 shot mags. Today, out plinking, I shot a full 6 mags, 54 shots! Literally DOUBLE what I'd get before! Howzat even possible? Always LOVED that gun but now it's even BETTER!!! THANKS for suggesting the Huma Centercut! Best $88 bucks I've ever spent on airguns.
Gerry

This past summer, for the first time in 5 or 6 years, my FX Boss started acting strangely. Got together with Mike Bricker (Centercut) & he helped me tear it down, re-seal it & gave me a newer OEM reg to fix the problem. Ultimately, it did not help. Mike suggested I try a new Huma reg. My Boss has ALWAYS been incredibly accurate, shooting JSB, 44.75GR Diabolo pellets but that is the ONLY pellet it would shoot. Never had any luck with Hades, Polymags or 50gr Diabolo. It just wouldn't shoot them well at 835-845FPS. Got a Huma reg (very fast response & shipping, 3 days) & installed it. Aside from installing it backwards the1st time (it goes in OPPOSITE from OEM reg) the process was easy. The most time consuming part was tuning it & even that wasn't bad. My Boss is shooting around 885-895FPS now. Accuracy is still superb but here's the part that still blows me away & makes me smile. It now has the power to ACCURATELY shoot Hades, 50gr Diabolo & yes, even Polymags accurately (& of course the 44.75 Diabolo) but what I NEVER expected was the shot count. I used to get 3 to 3 & a half 9 shot mags. Today, out plinking, I shot a full 6 mags, 54 shots! Literally DOUBLE what I'd get before! Howzat even possible? Always LOVED that gun but now it's even BETTER!!! THANKS for suggesting the Huma Centercut! Best $88 bucks I've ever spent on airguns.
Gerry
Awesome to give an old friend new life!
Mike

Gerry
That is very interesting about the shot count increase. The only thing I can figure, either because of the new reg, or just incidental to the installation, your tuning balance is much more efficient than before. Even then, to double the shot count is a bit mysterious. Since you are now getting 40 fps greater velocity, and assuming essentially the same HST setting, I guess that means that the plenum pressure is higher, which suggests that the previous reg set point was too low. But I would not think that would produce such an impressive increase in shot count. I wonder if the previous reg could have been leaking either around or through it?

That is very interesting about the shot count increase. The only thing I can figure, either because of the new reg, or just incidental to the installation, your tuning balance is much more efficient than before. Even then, to double the shot count is a bit mysterious. Since you are now getting 40 fps greater velocity, and assuming essentially the same HST setting, I guess that means that the plenum pressure is higher, which suggests that the previous reg set point was too low. But I would not think that would produce such an impressive increase in shot count. I wonder if the previous reg could have been leaking either around or through it?
Ed, (elh102) I DID readjust HST after installing the reg and added a brass lock nut to hold HST adjusting nut in place. Don't remember exactly how many turns but HST was increased after adding a new spring I had gotten at some earlier time. I really love the power increase & the added shot count is icing on the cake! The previous owner of my Boss had it set up us a competition gun so the fact that it only shot one particular pellet accurately didn't really matter but I wanted it to shoot hunting pellets or heavier pellets for terminal punch. I've got that now.

Last edited:
Also cannot explain the why but the rifles where i fitted a Huma reg can all shoot considerably (20bar) under set reg pressure without velocity changes... Puzzles me also but i'll take it.
I'm very pleased with the results & efficiency of the Huma. If I remember correctly (that's something that's more in doubt these days :unsure:) I had a choice of regular or Higher Power/Pressure reg. I got the HP.

Reactions: oOmpH
Gerry
@Gerry52 It’s almost like you got a new gun for an additional $88.

Reactions: Gerry52